Kilts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
My new job is going to put me in a location and environment where a kilt will feel an appropriate item for day to day outdoor use.

My recent weight gain (to an almighty 13.5 stone at 6'6'') puts me just beyond the point where my legs would look like string dangling out the bottom of a kilt.

So, I'm finally up for getting one. If I don't go for the Clan Davidson ancient tartan I'd consider something in tweed.

Can anybody recommend a maker?

I should probably just crack a beer and wait for toddy to turn up... :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just logged in after a weekend away, and guess what ? :D

See if you can find an ex army one Rob, at least for a starting kilt. They're heavy weight, good quality, and well looked after, and they won't break the bank.

A good, new, kilt now will leave you no change out of half a grand :yikes: and expect to pay more for a rarer tartan.

atb,
Mary

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm not sure the army ha ever had anyone as tall and thin as me It might be difficult to fin one that fits.

I looked around after the other recent thread on the subject but there wasn't much about. Do you know of an outlet on the east coast that sells them?

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I'll second Toddy's suggestion of exploring the second hand route first of all. My first kilt (Boy Scouts) was second hand and cost me 10 bob. I have passed it on since then and I believe it is on its 4th wearer :) I also got an ex-hire kilt a few years ago for something like £70, which was ideal for sporting occasions and the like, when you might get a bit of beer spilt on it, lol.

I had a new kilt made oh, 6 years ago now, and it cost me just under £500 - well worth the outlay, it is very well made, heavy duty and just about bulletproof. You get what you pay for in most things but especially where kilts are concerned.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I always thought if ye dld'n'ee belong to a clan, you dinee have the right to wear one,.... a bit like the M.C.C. tie.
I suppose nothing is sacred anymore.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I do belong to a clan. I haven't signed any forms or anything but my family (on my dads side) all hail from the clan Davidson heartlands in the North east. My mums side are Christies from the North east too.

Someone on here must be able to make kilts or get me some decent tartan...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Clan just means children; the family descended from a common ancestor.
I'm a lowlander, but my extended family would allow Campbell, Gordon, Stuart, MacDonald, Hay, Graham, MacEwan, Craig and Robertson tartans to be worn with no offence given to anybody. That kind of heritage is quite common in Scotland and among the Scots diaspora worldwide.

Kind of hard 'not' to trip over Scots somewhere :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do belong to a clan. I haven't signed any forms or anything but my family (on my dads side) all hail from the clan Davidson heartlands in the North east. My mums side are Christies from the North east too.

I can, but, check on the ex army sites first Rob. Seriously the really tall lads kilts are in good nick and they do come up for sale more often than the standard sizes, and you're not the only lean one out there. The kilt is very adjustable too. Jamie's 29" waist is now 35" and his still fits. The opposite is true as well, we can put in another pleat just as neatly as opening one up.

The tartan alone will cost you from £40 a metre +

cheers,
M

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

That's great,..... have you checked with family members, prehaps there's one in a wardrobe or loft somewhere......

Last edited:

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I recently bought a kilt for my upcoming wedding and got it from these guys http://www.heritageofscotland.com/Kilts/cid,11534457,index.php
I bought a kilt in my clan tartan which was not a stock tartan and it was around the £370 mark, many more popular tartans are cheaper, well worth a look as I reckon you could get on for £300 easily. they are very helpful so I recommend giving them a call.

edit: infact on closer inspection I think they could do one even cheaper! £250 for an 8 yarder! all depends on tartan of course.

Arfa

Dec 5, 2017
United States
I also enjoyed my ist trip in kilt. I also got my ist kilt a few years ago for something like $120 from sport kilt, which was ideal for hiking and sporting events and like, when you might get a bit of beer and also split on the kilt

Reactions: ahsansial1

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, if you want polyester.

A wool kilt, a real one will set you back hundreds.

These are cheap ones.....
https://www.macgregorandmacduff.co.uk/kilt-shop/kilt-outfits.html

We recommend ex-army ones for folks who want to wear them outdoors for a lot of good reasons.
They're heavy weight 'hill' kilts, they're meant to take hard wear, they're made from good quality properly fulled wool. They won't snag or 'pull', they'll scorch rather than burn, and they're properly made. No longer cheaply available since the regiments have been much reduced, etc., but they are still available.
M

Reactions: ahsansial1

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE