Keeper's bonus.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Some time ago I was given a gun by someone I had served with in the past. His Father had been a Game Keeper on a big Scottish estate before the turn of the 20th Century. 'Jock' gave me the gun in it's homemade oak wood case, and in the case was this knife which I've placed alongside my Leatherman for size comparison.

7iqGL8Jl.jpg

'Spratts' the gamebird feed manufacturer founded in the 1860's, they still trade and have a premises at Selkirk in the Scottish Borders. Apparently these knives were 'Freebies' handed out to favoured clients by Spratts Salesmen.

You will observe the knife has a Button Hook fitted, essential kit in an age when both Keepers and Gentleman guns wore button closure gaiters.

tLRhGONl.jpg

As was common, the bolster on the knife is cut to facilitate the withdrawal of fired cartridges of both 12 and 16 bore. This in an age when it was not unknown for a fired paper case cartridge to swell and so become difficult to extract from non ejector guns.

Cleaning kit for the gun was kept in two small leather pouches, one of which is shown. Also included was a game record book of the period. It's marked E C Powders which was the name from the 1880's of a branch of what had been the earlier 'Explosives Company'

xeJCzUTl.jpg

kZhtrRQl.jpg

Not really for this forum, but the gun is by W R Pape of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He made guns ranging from everyday working guns assembled from Birmingham parts to fine quality 'Best' guns. This gun was presented to Jock's Father in recognition of his long and faithful service as a Game Keeper to various members of the aristocracy over many years.

2h54VpPl.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like Damascus Barrels? Do you shoot her? Caps and powder are still out there. Or is she a wall hanger?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great post, there's a little set of history right there and it's obviusly fallen into the right hands to appreciate it properly.....Great stuff :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Often wondered, how was a button hook used, I'm not sure of the purpose of it.

Ta,

rorymax

You push the hook through the buttonhole, capture the button with the hook and then draw the button back through to where it needs to be. I've got some very old canvas gaiters which I love but I can only use them with a buttonhook when it's cold. It works extremely well when you get the hang of it, and on all sorts of sizes of button.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Looks like Damascus Barrels? Do you shoot her? Caps and powder are still out there. Or is she a wall hanger?

My poor photography Red. Yes, Damascus barrels. The gun has rebounding firing pins and I shoot 1oz/ 2.25 dram Black powder paper 2.5" cartridges. Patterns are surprisingly good at moderate range, courtesy of a friend who is a demon reloader. The underlever action is still safely tight and it's still BP proofed, so it gets the occasional (Fine weather) day out..Just for old times sake really :)

I think senility has finally caught up with me...I intended to put this post in Edged Tools as per the knife...:confused:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely, you've made my day that it gets the odd day in the sun :) That is a sweet and lovely gun - made to be shot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE