Just been certified!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Finally after nearly 2 months waiting, I sat my CS30 and CS31 today. Had expected the equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition, but the assessor was a very laid back man, with decades of experience oozing out of him. Not only did he assess us, also passed on hints and tips on a few things to help us in work.

On top of that I might even have some work, albeit temp, coming my way... :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Nice one, do you plan to certificate for anything bigger?

Well it would be nice, but I'll let myself get a decent amount of experience first. Would like to get medium and multi windblow - pretty damn useful. But first things first and all that. I know there is talk of them changing some of the modules, but they're not sure what they are doing if anything yet. There is talk of combining 31 and 32 but a lot of people are thinking this isn't a good idea.

In the future, we'll just have to see.. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your title had me wondering for a bit there :eek: :confused: I thought, "He's no' that bad :rolleyes:"

:)

Congratulations and best of luck for work :D

cheers,
M

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Finally after nearly 2 months waiting, I sat my CS30 and CS31 today. Had expected the equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition, but the assessor was a very laid back man, with decades of experience oozing out of him. Not only did he assess us, also passed on hints and tips on a few things to help us in work.

On top of that I might even have some work, albeit temp, coming my way... :D

Well I got the equivalent of the Spanish Inquisition when I did mine. I've got to do it again in a few months too. :(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My first instinct is to congradulate you but I really would like to know what cs31 & cs32 mean first.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yep, basic chainsaw certification and small tree felling. You can use any chainsaw and cut down any size tree for yourself but do it for someone else and certs are required.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Well done Nagual!

I have a 100 acre site specifically set aside for these courses. Hats off to the lads and lassies when they come as they make a grand job in their efforts and thin the woods for me. Ten years on and there are now some fine timber trees appearing from the scrawny stuff we started with. Medium sized for your next course!

I have also started to host climbing training and certification. The 'small trees' that are marked to fall can be spiked in a practice session.
One difficulty was finding a tree with many low branches suitable for ariel rescue etc as trying to grow good timber involves cutting off all low growth so there are no knots in the final product.
I found a nice Oak with the help of the regular instructor and enjoy watching the trainees as they scamper up and do all their ropework.:) They also perform minor surgery for real on nearby damaged trees which is also good practice.
I'm a great believer in 'learning on the job' so set small tasks for each group to perform on the day. This involves simple things like accurate cutting to length and leaving low stumps (that extra cube in timber volume soon adds up and goes in your wage packet!) although not useful in 'Tree Surgery' is most important in good 'Forestry practice'.

Finally apologies for the length of post (my passion...!)
and good luck in finding a job:35:
Swyn.

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great news on passing nagual.
Are you planning on doing CS39? I would, its great fun and you'll get plenty of work for yourself then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE