Jolly Boys or anyone else local opportunity to make whoopie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am meeting a local lad at the weekend who makes whoopie slings if any one wants a set I can get them and pass them on to you at a meet
PM me if you want some made against my better judgement and much to Rich's amazement I am getting a set; better work out as good as folks say or there "will be a murder".
Nice weather here btw

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Morning Steve , how much are these things going to cost ? I am camping with Andy Bruce, Skate a purdy little lady and hopefully her offspring (their first time!) Tuesday and Wednesday night , but may be able to sneak up your way , are you camping ? And if so when and where ? You had better PM me the location as we don't want it going viral !

By the way what are whoopie slings ? and do i need some ?

Ivan...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"grey stoaty fox" lol

I can sum that up more succinctly

Yep they are of no use to ground dwellers its a slippery trick involving splicing dyneema I have resisted as I am quite capable of adjusting my length without; but everyone else is using them ;so in order to moan on properly I is gonna give them a go.That's how I roll

But Mr grey stoaty fox man ;it would be nice for you to see some nice countryside and of course the usual nonsense will be happening ;with the already built in checking the cars ruse involving a nice pub and bimble already sorted
Its this Sat meet PM sometime I can make arrangements if you are interested PM me
Rich The Welsh has been before so ask him what its like. Cant remember what he lost possibly his walking pole.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I always assumed when I finally got around to getting a hammock, I'd just put it up with Siberian hitches.

What's the advantage to whoopie slings?

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Dear All, i know i open myself up to abuse at times , and apologise to those who genuinely thought i was not aware of the products uses !(Paul Webster enlightened me about 18 months ago ) Grey stoaty fox , i like that one ,thankyou Rick .

Even though the whoopie slings are of no use to me what so ever, as i camp properly! As you know i have never needed much of an excuse to camp, and previously stated am off today until Thursday morning , and won't know my exact movements until then (have a big job supposed to be starting) which may require Friday morning attention. If i can put off till Monday i would love to come up and annoy who ever else attends , its only a couple of hours for me.

I presume Steve that the first PM in your comment meant post meridian ? and the second one was for me to contact you privately ? You donut !

It might work out well , as a trip to Barnstaple (to silence a cocky BCUK member) has been on the cards for some time .

Thankyou for the invite , i will Private Message you on Thursday , as i find text does not require an interpreter.

Ivan...

" Your dogs got tets "

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I always assumed when I finally got around to getting a hammock, I'd just put it up with Siberian hitches.

What's the advantage to whoopie slings?

Well the claim is they are faster easier lighter than other systems
Personally I think once rigged they certainly make for easier fine tuning of your hang
They are certainly light
I have manged fine without them; and of course you can but its an opportunistic purchase for me as someone local is making them

troopermaz

Apr 15, 2010
Highworth
this is the sales pitch bit lol

Two ultralight ready made Whoopie Slings for people looking for the lightest and most compact suspension system for their hammock. These weigh in at just 40g for the pair! Also there is little or no stretch so you can set your hammock up at the correct height without having to adjust it for stretch.

Adjustable length is roughly from 40cm to 180cm per sling giving you plenty of room to choose your trees.

We recommend these for use with any hammock and advise a weight limit of 150kg. although the tested breaking strain of amsteel is approx 1500 pounds

Amsteel Blue is very tough, hard wearing, lightweight and compact (just 2.5mm thick).

Some info about Amsteel Blue:
- Made from Dyneema SK75 with Samthane Coating (very hard wearing)
- 8 strand single braid construction.
- Size for size same strength as wire rope yet only 1/7 of the weight (outlasts wire rope in tests).
- Flexible, easy to handle and easily field spliced.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE