JALT (just another Lavvu thread!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mendologist

Aug 13, 2018
Hambleton, Selby
Received my Polish Lavvu/ponchos from Hoods/Military Mart.
Fast delivery, brand new and unissued. (1982 dated).
Yet to button together and pitch but really impressed so far.
Yes it is heavy!!
Bought a cheap (20 quid gumtree) old heavy duty sewing machine to stitch it together and then mod it with a skirt hopefully to give a bit more usable space.
Some canvas material to be purchased from flea bay soon when I've measured it all up.

Last edited:

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Sounds like you have a plan :) Am sure you've seen vids on the mods that others do like various loops, zips and flaps etc.

Looking forward to you posting some pics.

Mendologist

Aug 13, 2018
Hambleton, Selby
Sounds like you have a plan :) Am sure you've seen vids on the mods that others do like various loops, zips and flaps etc.

Next step is to order some webbing, work out what weight of canvas to order, then get stuck into sewing it together!
Oh - and 3 zips I think, for the entrance when the skirt is fitted.
Winter project!!

Last edited:

hoboinacave85

Apr 25, 2015
grimsby
Does anyone does these mods for other users. I have a lavvu I would like modding. Zips,skirt and groundsheet, will pay top money for the right work. Thanks folks atb

Mendologist

Aug 13, 2018
Hambleton, Selby
Bit of an update-
Bought some waterproof cotton canvas material from fleabay. Made the panels to go round the bottom and got most of them apart from the front 2 sewn on.
Webbing with D links and zips next job when I work out where and how.
Lots of work involved for my newly acquired 1960's/70's sewing machine!!!

Reactions: JohnC

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
A friend had a modded on in the Arctic. He used them as ends, with a rectangle panel sew in. The two ends stay up as semi circles, and the rectangle fills in the gap.
You can then open the front, pole it out to give a covered area, with zips to close it down.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
DC32F5E3-5AC1-4F56-AE39-9FC2B4C5E53D.jpeg
This was his set up, even has a small dog bowl stove.
Photo is from MadDave, I’m sure he won’t mind me using it.
A friend had a modded on in the Arctic. He used them as ends, with a rectangle panel sew in. The two ends stay up as semi circles, and the rectangle fills in the gap.
You can then open the front, pole it out to give a covered area, with zips to close it down.

Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've seen that type of setup before, looks really quite good.

I've often thought about a lightweight version using ripstop nylon [maybe not such a good idea in the cold with a stove in though!] or if I even have the cash cuben fibre! - basically a rectangle tarp with two half tipi ends.

But I mostly hammock camp now, but still a big version you could manage to hang a hammock inside :)

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Dog bowl stove? Whats that?
Two dog bowls, they clip together one on top of the other, with a small hole in for feeding the fire in the front, and a flue hole at the top. Only ever saw a photo of it, but looked quite cosy. You clearly can’t get much wood in, but having a small fire helps.
When they aren’t in use, they pack into each other and stow away.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Two dog bowls, they clip together one on top of the other, with a small hole in for feeding the fire in the front, and a flue hole at the top. Only ever saw a photo of it, but looked quite cosy. You clearly can’t get much wood in, but having a small fire helps.
When they aren’t in use, they pack into each other and stow away.

Attachments

• 51CD48F7-881A-46EC-BD60-6CAD7ECBA875.png
    51CD48F7-881A-46EC-BD60-6CAD7ECBA875.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 23

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Does anyone does these mods for other users. I have a lavvu I would like modding. Zips,skirt and groundsheet, will pay top money for the right work. Thanks folks atb
There has been some mention of someone doing this on Life in the Wilderness forums. However, before you start all of that (and I regularly use a lavvu myself), using a sig will normally require using the inner pole of some sort? Using an A frame, the inside of my tent is free, and a Blacks good companion standard A frame or a Vango F10 fits perfectly with no walls sewn on and therefore no sig. You could of course sew a sig straight to the botton inside edge? Seems a bit of a hassle though.... Of course you can hang the tent or lash it to a camp made A frame; and of course then a sig will make no difference
I just have a zip ( and professional seamstrer can do that), I used a local dressmaker,and some short cord loops for pegging out. If I need a tray groundsheet, I used a cheap light whatever and some clips to the tent bottom edge. Simple and lighter, possibly!

Mendologist

Aug 13, 2018
Hambleton, Selby

Finally !! Just about finished what basic mods I wanted to do to the Polish Poncho/Polish Lavvu.
Tent zip at the front, 'D' rings and webbing all round and a small bottom skirt to raise and make ground level more usable.
Hopefully photo's below.
It's been a struggle to sew even with a 1960's sewing machine!!
I definitely wouldn't tackle another.
First few Photo's are of before the alterations.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOIs--2sW14hucyMJRhhHfOJQY5o9Pqd85DymPZ

Reactions: MrEd

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Finally !! Just about finished what basic mods I wanted to do to the Polish Poncho/Polish Lavvu.
Tent zip at the front, 'D' rings and webbing all round and a small bottom skirt to raise and make ground level more usable.
Hopefully photo's below.

google said:
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

I have a Google account, and I just get a 404.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hopefully photo's below.

Use the Upload a File button to upload direct from your pc/laptop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE