1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's awfully quiet round here.

Discussion in 'Scotland North' started by Frazer, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Frazer

Frazer Tenderfoot

Hey folks, how's it going. I've been away from these forums and away from Scotland for a few years and was looking to keep up the bushcraft malarky.

Who am I? Frazer - yeah Imaginative username, eh? Low level Outdoor Ed instructor, including bushcraft as an activity for kids/teens. Trained Instructors and ran a bunch of courses down in Yorkshire mostly, wales, kent and norfolk. Once drove a van full of nature into London to do a bushcraft 'bit' for an office family fun day. Top tip: Don't trust the guy on reception when he says the van will fit into their underground parking!

What am I after? Either a group to get together with and practice/progress skills. Or if there are any one running courses or even forest schools and the like that I can nosey in on.

Where am I? Based out of Inverness for the most part, but I'm happy to travel.

The weather is picking up again, time to get out and about!

2. Dreadhead

Dreadhead Bushcrafter through and through

Hi Frazer,

welcome back :) I'm sure some of the lads in the North-East are the closest, but there is also the Wooplaw meet down south here you may want to check out in the Scotland South section of the meet-ups chatter

3. Toddy

Toddy Mod
    Mod

Hello :)

You might pm Monarch. Ian's in Inverness.
    You might not get a very quick reply though, his Dad's funeral was just this week :sigh: but he will get in touch.
    Tell him Mary suggested it and he'll know where you're coming from.
    He gets involved in some amazing things :approve:

M

4. jasons

jasons Settler

I am not to far from you.

5. MountainGhost

MountainGhost Member

I'm interested in a small and casual get together around the Great Glen area to get to know people and what their interests and skill sets are, and to see what the possibilities are of arranging something more organised and regular in the future. If there is any interest or suggestions of a possible location please leave a note in the thread. Highland Bush Moot?

I hope to hear from you all soon.

6. jasons

jasons Settler

I will be interested in this

7. Willcurrie

Willcurrie Full Member

From the west coast but am interested in this thread

8. Dougster

Dougster Full Member

Moray Aberdeenshire border here. Midges are bad already and they say this year will be a bad one......Still interested though.

9. Willcurrie

Willcurrie Full Member

Midges are obviously rampant over here and it's been bone dry for weeks. Some rain forecast for next week might whip them up into a frenzy. Still interested in a meet up anytime.

10. mousey

mousey Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

A few years ago there were a number of members from the NE who had regular meet-ups, I even manage to get to two of them, but they seem to have gone quiet or have gone off doing their own things.

If anyone does manage to organise a meet I'd also be interested in popping along.

11. gazmc2

gazmc2 Forager

I would be interested in a regular meet. I will keep an eye on this thread.

12. MountainGhost

MountainGhost Member

I'm sorry for the delay in organising anything specific, and in getting back to folk who have pm'd me over the past month.

I want to canvass interest for a meet either mid or late August depending on availability. The location is yet to be decided but it will likely either be Strathpeffer or Nairn way.

Any and all are welcome regardless of experience level but everyone should obviously carry all necessary equipment.

If you have a skill you'd like to share please specify along with preference for date and location.

And please include an email so we can share all the info once it's decided.

There will be a large central tent to accommodate the group in case of adverse weather and a central fire to share meals if that is your preference.

Again, sorry for not getting back to you all sooner.

Jon

13. March Hare

Hey Jon,

I've just joined the forum after reading your invite for a 'Highland Bush-Moot'. I'm interested in meeting up with like minded folk who spend time outdoors. I don't seem able to pm you, perhaps cos I'm a new member.
    Anyways, I've got a 5 litre stainless steel kettle with a black bottom that's looking for some action. I'm in Strathpeffer.

14. MountainGhost

MountainGhost Member

UPDATE: I would like to make the first meet at the end of August over the Bank Holiday weekend. Arriving the afternoon of Friday the 26th and departing after breakfast on the Sunday the 28th.

The location is still to be confirmed but it will be a short drive from Inverness regardless.

As mentioned there will be a central tent for seating up to approx. 10 folk should the weather turn or the midges descend. I'm out on the west coast and the midges haven't been so bad this year, although I won't speak for other areas or later in the season. A face net and a can of Smidge should be enough.

I've received PM's from a few folk but I'll leave all the relevant info in this thread as and when things are decided.

If you can attend please leave a message on the thread, and please say if you're bringing a partner/child/dog/friend so everyone has an idea of the numbers. Conversely if you can't make the dates but can make the weekend before please leave a message and if the numbers shift towards either weekend we can alter the dates.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Jon

#14 MountainGhost, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  15. jasons

jasons Settler

I am interested in this date

16. MountainGhost

MountainGhost Member

I was meant to say "...departing after breakfast on Sunday." Post edited to reflect this.

17. gazmc2

gazmc2 Forager

The dates suit me and ill be bringing my son (11yo).

Cheers for sorting things out Jon....its appreciated and if i can be of any help just give me a shout.

��

18. Dreadhead

I would definitely be interested in this :)

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

19. beezer

beezer Forager

hi folk i should be able to come to this meet

20. Dreadhead

any updates on this?