Itchy feet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I've been getting the urge to travel again (on two wheels) So after talking to my mate, he posted a link to this,

and I've worked my way through all the episodes, and what a beautiful place eastern Europe is. In the past (when it was reasonably safe) I went South towards North Africa, but after seeing Croatia and surrounding countries I know where I want to head. Should have another bike soon, can't wait.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
What bike are you going to get ?
same as the girl. They're still relatively simple technology and understressed. My second choice was a CCM GP450 Adventure,
CCM-GP450-01.jpg

but I'd sooner have "low tech". Plus I've had 30 + years on Indian Enfields so I know what I'm getting into. Plus the Luggage options are probably as good, if not better than the rest.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I know that itchy feet feeling! Looks like a great idea. When are you planning to go?
Next year at the earliest. I want to be in a position without any deadlines, return home date, etc etc. Leisurely and the ability to make spontaneous decisions being the "rule ". My mate's just spent over seven months doing the same in Vietnam on a much smaller bike, no route plan, just go where your interest takes you. I'd love to do it on a URAL outfit, but the fuel consumption is too much.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sounds like a plan. I'd pick an mz 250 but with seat modification. They can be like sitting on a brick! But they have a huge tank capacity and great mpg. Also around the eastern European and old Soviet block areas plus most of Europe spares are easy to find. It's also a very rugged bike that can take loads of abuse and easy to bodge a solution if you have a problem. Simple old fashioned two stroke single pot engine. But I'm sure that there are better bikes out there nowadays.
If I were many years younger and able to do the milage I'd be up for a similar jaunt myself, but Wear and tear won't let me nowadays .
Do it while you can. The memories will be worth their weight in gold later on in life. Keep a daily diary write it down each evening when you stop. It's surprising how many things you forget as the years roll on. I've just dug out one of my old travel diaries and read it. Some parts were like reading someone else's adventure. I'd totaly forgotten some great stuff.

Reactions: woodspirits

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Sounds like a plan. I'd pick an mz 250 but with seat modification. They can be like sitting on a brick! But they have a huge tank capacity and great mpg. Also around the eastern European and old Soviet block areas plus most of Europe spares are easy to find. It's also a very rugged bike that can take loads of abuse and easy to bodge a solution if you have a problem. Simple old fashioned two stroke single pot engine. But I'm sure that there are better bikes out there nowadays.
If I were many years younger and able to do the milage I'd be up for a similar jaunt myself, but Wear and tear won't let me nowadays .
Do it while you can. The memories will be worth their weight in gold later on in life. Keep a daily diary write it down each evening when you stop. It's surprising how many things you forget as the years roll on. I've just dug out one of my old travel diaries and read it. Some parts were like reading someone else's adventure. I'd totaly forgotten some great stuff.
pre Enfield, TS 250's were my choice. Ugly looks, genius design. I did have the Turkish variant as well.
1201350881.jpg

Although it got dressed better.
mz__saxon_tour_301_1993_1_lgw.jpg

Another goodie I had was this,
Aprilia%20Tuareg%20600%20wind%2088.jpg

Monster fuel tank and reliable. Wish I had kept that one.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The mz's look a bit more modern than the 1970s versions I had. They look a bit more comfortable seat wise too. The milage I did on mine was a lot! Always had a sore bum after a while. Solution back then was to bungee a hot water bottle to the seat...with a small towel over the top. Worked a treat especially in the winter going to work. Nice warm butt too!

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I've had the bike just over a week now, and what a pleasant surprise it has been. Lazy and slow by comparison to other modern stuff, but really easy to ride and handle both on and off road. Once run in the cruising speed is 55-60 mph, and the luggage/accessories options are real world and affordable. Mpg is around 100 miles/5 litres, and it has the ability to carry extra fuel,
61Tt9ttXPkL.jpg

so I'm more than happy.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Now you got the bike you have many happy hours ahead choosing gear to take, trying to pack it all realising you got too much , unpacking and cutting things out , only to think of something else you're gonna need and finding a hole for that , then having to cut something else. :) at least that's what I do. But then I enjoy that process. Refining kit down to the best balance between minimum and comfortable.

Reactions: GuestD and Nice65

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I'm in the market for a Himalayan, Deekin. I've been reading the reviews on them after long distance trips, all very favourable. Only thing stopping me at the moment is an Aprilia Pegaso 650 with 14,000 on the clock for under £2000 locally.

I ride a Guzzi California and a Yam xj 900 (pre Divvi model). The Guzzi's going to get part exchanged.

Was your Tuareg reliable? I do occasional Motorway/Dual carriageways that I can't avoid, so the extra 250 cc from the Aprilia is tempting. How does your RE stackup against the Tuareg so far? I appreciate it's still being run in.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I'm in the market for a Himalayan, Deekin. I've been reading the reviews on them after long distance trips, all very favourable. Only thing stopping me at the moment is an Aprilia Pegaso 650 with 14,000 on the clock for under £2000 locally.

I ride a Guzzi California and a Yam xj 900 (pre Divvi model). The Guzzi's going to get part exchanged.

Was your Tuareg reliable? I do occasional Motorway/Dual carriageways that I can't avoid, so the extra 250 cc from the Aprilia is tempting. How does your RE stackup against the Tuareg so far? I appreciate it's still being run in.

The Tuareg was reliable. It has a air cooled Rotax motor in it which is different from the Pegaso. The Tuareg was much much quicker than the Himalayan which is only happy at 55-60 mph. The Himalayan is a different bike altogether, I wouldn't consider one if I was in a hurry to get anywhere. The Pegaso will be far better for motorway work, and the Yamaha motor in it is good. Performance wise the Himalayan is more like a 250 with extra torque. It is hugely under-stressed which is what I like about it.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Thanks for the info Pal. I know the Himalayans loosen up ( a bit) when fully run in, but I was on the M4 on Sunday in a 4x4 close to 70, when Speedy Gonzales the Spanish Artic driver overtook me in his 38 tonner. Got me thinking about the Royal Enfield loaded with camping gear.... I'll try to scrounge a test ride with the local RE dealer I think before making a decision.

Just out of interest have you heard that RE may be bringing out a Himalayan Mk 2 with a 650 twin in it? Might spoil a good bike or maybe even capture the 'Adventure' bike market if it's as good as the present bike.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Just out of interest have you heard that RE may be bringing out a Himalayan Mk 2 with a 650 twin in it? Might spoil a good bike or maybe even capture the 'Adventure' bike market if it's as good as the present bike.
Word is a bigger single may be coming. I've ridden the 650 twin, and it is superb. The only reason I didn't go for one is that it would end up being a shiny toy. I had the 650 GT for a day, it handles, it's smooth and flexible and just about perfect as an all rounder. There's a 500 pseudo trials bike, but its just a dressed up classic.
khc94j4g_royal-enfield-trials-500-review_625x300_28_March_19.jpg

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Now you got the bike you have many happy hours ahead choosing gear to take, trying to pack it all realising you got too much , unpacking and cutting things out , only to think of something else you're gonna need and finding a hole for that , then having to cut something else. :) at least that's what I do. But then I enjoy that process. Refining kit down to the best balance between minimum and comfortable.
I'll be doing a dry run this weekend. The metal panniers have tie hooks on top, so perfect for tying a tent to, and a sleeping bag in a dry sack. Just need to figure out the best place for spares/pump etc.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I've been getting the urge to travel again (on two wheels) So after talking to my mate, he posted a link to this,

and I've worked my way through all the episodes, and what a beautiful place eastern Europe is. In the past (when it was reasonably safe) I went South towards North Africa, but after seeing Croatia and surrounding countries I know where I want to head. Should have another bike soon, can't wait.
Her travels are amazing...…………………..

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

Ahh, that distracted me for the last 40 minutes!!!

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE