Isle of Rhona trip logistics?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi folks I am hoping for a bit of help (probably from our Scottish contingent me thinks) Its my 20th wedding anniversary coming up:eek::eek::eek:
and I am in the process of booking a week on the Isle of Rhona.

Basically we have to be in Portree for 8:30 on the morning out holiday begins we have to be packed with provisions for a week etc and a boat takes us across, we are not roughing it. As much as I would relish a week in the wilds under a tarp swmbo and the kids would frown upon this ( we are going at the end of Feb I think). Its just going to be a week of wildlife , messing with my camera, trying to get better at water colours and generally just chilling out.

My question is this we are planning on driving up and staying overnight on route does anyone have any good suggestions of places to stay we are travelling from Hull via Glasgow and up the west coast needs to be family friendly, I think the furthest travel lodge north is Dumbarton?

I will also have 4 mountain bikes on the back as we are going to Centre parcs Penrith on the way back. As we are leaving the car in Portree for a week does anyone know of any storage places I could store the bikes either on route or on Skye itself for whilst we are on Rhona itself.

Hope that all makes sense

cheers

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a great trip Andy, have a good one mate.

Can't help with accomodation up that side but I'd have thought you'd be able to find something in Fort Bill for a night. Should be about seven hours from where you are and then leave you a couple of hours in the morning round to Portree.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers Rich I was going to suggest camping somewhere on route but I think I will get the stare!!!

It will be fun when we are on the island cant wait to see the kids faces...........Dad wheres the TV? ............................ the silence will be worth it!!

Will be excellent just to wander taking pics or painting I can t wait.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lmao dont judge a book by its cover!! I have been known to knock a few paintings out nothing brilliant but its more for relaxation, I keep meaning to get myself to a night class to get better but it never happens. As far as photography well again im not great but I enjoy it . we will do some wildlife spotting a few cooking and brew ups on the little beaches etc. A bit of fishing etc and the Island caretaker sells a nice special blended Malt made for them by Edradour. mmm log fires, malt, excellent scenery .

role on end of Feb

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Saucy Mary's Hostel in Kyleakin (just over the Skye Bridge) does cheap rooms and a reasonable breakfast. They might look after your bikes for you too.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Cheers guys thats what I needed been from Yorkshire!! cheap.

I will bell them about the Bikes Rob cheers for that.

Tony I did actually have a picture on Take Hart when I was a kid lol. I know someone who did a bit of modelling though I suppose thats a type of art eh??:rolleyes:

Cheers chaps!

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Wasn't 'HB' also a reporter, Andy?

I'll see if I can dig out some old contacts from my West Highland Way days.
Off to work soon so it'll be tomorrow when I get a chance.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dont get N Rona mixed up with S Rona.

In my very limited experience of the smaller isles, you might have trouble in finding a place to camp.

There is a good curry house just over the Skye Bridge. (Says she arriving all alienated upon Skye..a curry house! Its not so bad after all.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE