Is this the real thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I purchased 4 pairs of “Inventory Cargo” pants from this site and they are good but NOT of original issue. I new this though when ordering. The same, I imagine, applies to the jacket – the giveaway being the “Based on the M65 Field jacket ……….” comment in the plurb?

I would suggest paying them a visit and trying one on for both size and feel.

Cheers

Klench

HAM

Sep 6, 2004
Aberdeen
Mal,

As far as I know, lots of companies made and still make the M65 jacket. I've just bought one of the Alpha versions from Costco (of all places). The one you show looks very similar in all but material. My one is a very tight poly / cotton mix which seems to have excellent water repellancy.

I'm a bit shocked at the price of yours - I paid £35 plus VAT for the Alpha one (new), so on that basis £70 seems a bit steep.

I'm really pleased with the design of mine, so I'd recommend it if you want a no-nonsense outdoor coat that, I'm told, takes an amazing amount of abuse (which is the primary reason I bought one).

Steve

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I think the one on the linked page is intended as a fashion item, just based on the issue item.

There is a better, cheaper one if you follow the "for regular M65 jackets click here" bit (I think these are manufactured by Tru-spec and are actually intended to be used ;), quarpel treated and so on )

Rat

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
'This U.S. Army style Jacket M65 Regiment has an outer shell in stonewashed 100% cotton for extra comfort and that used fashion look'

this paragraph makes it pretty obvious that they aren't issue items

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
From the pic it is obviously not a "real" M-65. The liner for a M-65 buttons in, this one zips in (which is probably better), and is of a different construction than the M-65 liner (knit collar for one). The outter shell looks like a M-65 tho. All in all it is probably nothing more than an improved copy of a M-65. Being from the other side of the pond, I can't comment on the price. Brigade Quartermasters has their M-65, with liner, on sale for $54.99 USD.

You must keep in mind that the M-65 is cotton, not worth a damn when wet. They come treated to be "water repellant," but that doesn't last long or work real well. Add a USGI poncho over that and you just sweat yourself wet. That said, I love the M-65, I have worn out about six of them over the years. My first was actually a M-43, 'bout the same as the M-65, but with a button on hood instead of the built in version...

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
Hi! I used to wear a original M-65 jacket in early days of my life (teenage). It´s too small nowadays but I tend to buy a new one and re-live my youth! But, one thing I´ve never succeded to find out is the two button holes on the collar (the two holes pointing forward, not the ones over the shoulders)? Could the reason be to secure the string from the hood? /Mimung

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
I became uncertain if I remember it right. Maybe there´s no button holes on the collar. Anyway, I´ve got another question about the M65. The single button on the outside in front, is it a spare button or for any other reason? /Mimung

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I'm in Silvermans every few day's so if you want me to have a look at the condition of anything it won't be a problem:)
Looked at a Schott M65 in there on wednesday, very nice but £125 is a bit excessive!!!
Ended up buying a US Fishtail parka, loved the design, very bushman when the lining and hood are removed, and very very warm when attached, ideal:D

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I'm in Silvermans every few day's so if you want me to have a look at the condition of anything it won't be a problem:)
Looked at a Schott M65 in there on wednesday, very nice but £125 is a bit excessive!!!
Ended up buying a US Fishtail parka, loved the design, very bushman when the lining and hood are removed, and very very warm when attached, ideal:D

God they have increased in price

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
I became uncertain if I remember it right. Maybe there´s no button holes on the collar. Anyway, I´ve got another question about the M65. The single button on the outside in front, is it a spare button or for any other reason? /Mimung

No one..? Ok, thank´s. /Mimung

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi! I used to wear a original M-65 jacket in early days of my life (teenage). It´s too small nowadays but I tend to buy a new one and re-live my youth! But, one thing I´ve never succeded to find out is the two button holes on the collar (the two holes pointing forward, not the ones over the shoulders)? Could the reason be to secure the string from the hood? /Mimung

About 25 years ago I had a very similar jacket (it may have been an M-65). It was a khaki tropical issue version (Gabardine fabric perhaps), and I have a very vague memory of two buttons on the outside of the collar near the front, if I recall correctly, there was a small piece of fabric about 10cm long and 4cm wide (a little like an epaulette) that had button holes at each end, which when attached to the buttons on the collar, kept the collar up, and close around the neck. On the other hand, there may have been button holes on the collar, as you mention, and the buttons on the elaulette-like flap - it's a long time ago, now. One used to see something similar on good quality raincoats (still do from time to time) to keep heavy rain from entering around the neck. The jacket also had a hood that folded away in the collar, and under a zip.

Not really sure about the details, it’s all very vague.

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE