Is this pigeon damage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Can anyone tell me if this looks like pigeon damage, to the educated eye. We think its either pigeon or slugs but can't be sure.

Any help appreciated.

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

Cheers,
TT

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Slugs by the looks of it from my uneducated eye. Sharp sand stops them from getting on plants - it sticks to there slimey underbodies and irritates them.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Thanks for the information guys. As you can see we have put down something to control the slugs on the off chance that what it is but there is no sign of anything on them or around them in the way of insects.

We also have rabbit fencing around the plot and our pumpkins have been left alone, its only the collies and the sprouts which have been hit.

I think pigeon is the most likely culprit but I will keep and eye out.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Hi TomTom looking at the plants they are small and very tender,thats why there attractive to pigeons,i would net them until they are a lot bigge,and tougher, and then the pigeons won't touch them,But you should be allright in the next few weeks as they will start to swathe the rape and they'll all be feeding on that,leaving are veg alone.

Bernie

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The damage looks very similar to our brassicas if our chickens get at them! So, if you haven't got some hens wandering about I'd say it's pigeons. At least you have a reason to catch some pigeons for the pot.

If it's slug or snail damage I'd also expect some slime trails or other signs such as slugs and snails near by. Try putting out a few upside down pots to catch them and check in the morning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE