is this axe any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Not used one but its a good make, should be a good axe. Cheaper axes tend to need more work to the edge when new, that's part of what you pay for with GB.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I use one of those for light felling duties all the time, superb bit of kit for the money and mine came fairly sharp too, certainly sharp enough to be used straight from the box, doesn't come with an axe mask though.

Thought a comparison in the size difference between the Hults & GB might help too.

ADSCN0237.jpg

Hultafors top left, GB Small Forest Top right, Hugo's Czech Hatchet bottom

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That is a stunning price for an excellent axe. It's an excellent all rounder, big enough to fell and split but small enough to still use single handed and fit in a pack

I'm tempted to grab another. :)

Edit; they are all on offer, time to shop.

Thanks for posting. ;)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That is a stunning price for an excellent axe. It's an excellent all rounder, big enough to fell and split but small enough to still use single handed and fit in a pack

I'm tempted to grab another. :)

Edit; they are all on offer, time to shop.

Thanks for posting. ;)

+1, I have that axe and its fantastic

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Good choice. I have one and it is an excellent axe. It arrived very sharp, though it doesn't have the forged finish. I polished mine up along the edge. It's a cracker.

It is worth mentioning that it is actually bigger than the GB version, the head is slightly larger. I was using mine on the allotment the. Other week and it was pure pleasure.

Andy

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Good choice. I have one and it is an excellent axe. It arrived very sharp, though it doesn't have the forged finish. I polished mine up along the edge. It's a cracker.

It is worth mentioning that it is actually bigger than the GB version, the head is slightly larger. I was using mine on the allotment the. Other week and it was pure pleasure.

Andy

im really pleased that you a,ll like the axe, makes me feel happy that ive made the right choice

This one is more comparable with the small forest axe...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/121299633468?nav=SEARCH

i wanted something a little bigger and more heavy duty than the sfa as i do mostly car camping with short walks. if i need something smaller to carry ill just take the parang and do some batoning

kieran w

Nov 16, 2013
suffolk
I have had one of these for 2 years now and have used it a lot the grind isn't as good as some but with a puck sharpener you can get a awesome edge

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I got one about 18 mths ago, can't fault it. Its mentioned in another thread somewhere but I can't find it!

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i turned up today, very pleased with it, spent 10 mins trying to find some wood in the workshop and then gave up. going to my mums on friday to 'help' her with her logs lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE