Is birch sap still flowing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Its only a short window for that fast flow, couple of weeks at most.

Look at the trees around you, if the buds have opened and the leaves are showing like they are around my way, then the sap has done its work already.

Now the tree has leaves it can start photosynthesising, doesn't need the sap anymore.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is in my local woods, I tapped a tree 2 days ago and it came out quite quickly.

My son and I enjoyed a nice half a cup each after sealing the tap.:)

LocalYokel

Feb 16, 2007
Brizzel.... Argghhh
Was up in Lancs at the weekend and got a few ltrs out of two trees... quick flowing and njice and clear. Missed the boat in Bristol as most of the trees have already broken leaf. :)

fred gordon said:
Come up to Scotland! My birches are only just starting to produce. :)

Mine are flowing slowly on very warm hot days, some more than others but again mine are very high up where it is relatively colder. North of Glasgow.

This year I've ditched the pipe method and just carved some pegs out with notches and am using 2 litre juice bottles wired to the trunks. I'm gonna have to place noseeum netting (or clean tights ;) ) over the tops as mine so far have ben full of bluebottles sppoiling the sap :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE