Interview with Uncle Ray in today's Guardian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wonder why he has never publicly acknowledged the huge part Mors Kochanski must have played in his learning?

You dont like to say anything which could be construed as critical of the guy on this site, but I've wondered it for years.

Nice article. I will probably end up buying his autobiography.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the link. I'm curious about the mention of a new show about the 'wild west' next year. Sounds very interesting.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ray Mears is a very skilled bushcrafter and there is no doubt about that.

However I don't really like him as a person and I don't get how he works. It is the whole rock in the pond quote and stuff like that, he is just not my type of person.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I wonder why he has never publicly acknowledged the huge part Mors Kochanski must have played in his learning?

You dont like to say anything which could be construed as critical of the guy on this site, but I've wondered it for years.

Nice article. I will probably end up buying his autobiography.

Dave, Just wondering, why would he have mentioned him and why do you say Mors must have played a huge part? Did they have a personal relationship? Was he a pupil of his? I don't know the history. Can you explain? Cheers.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave, Just wondering, why would he have mentioned him and why do you say Mors must have played a huge part? Did they have a personal relationship? Was he a pupil of his? I don't know the history. Can you explain? Cheers.

Mmmm, I guess Im just being a bit cranky and nit picking really.

Mors Kochanski wrote the book 'Northern Bushcraft' in 1987. Which could be called the definitive modern text on the subject. You could argue endlessly that this was just a re-interpretation of previous woodsmans works. [If you were inclined to, which im not] He later changed the title to just 'Bushcraft'.
I just think Ray Mears must have read it and he's never said a word about it. Then you hear Ray saying things like '.......what I like to call bushcraft' as though he invented the term.

Personally I think Mors Kochanski is the greatest living proponent of 'Bushcraft', not Ray Mears. Each to their own though.

I have no idea if they've met.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Personally I think Mors Kochanski is the greatest living proponent of 'Bushcraft', not Ray Mears. Each to their own.

We have something in common :). I couldn't agree more and I think ray mears likes to think he is the best and that is one of the reasons why I dislike him. I know I am not a patch on either of them but we are all still learning and no one knows it all no matter how experienced they are.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mors was very nice about Ray in person. Indeed he seemed to rate him very highly. Its not a competition.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Mors was very nice about Ray in person. Indeed he seemed to rate him very highly. Its not a competition.

Good point. However ray had a go at bear Grylls (like him or loathe him) saying he was a fraud and rubbish at his job etc. anyway as you have said Mors wouldn't do that hence why I like him more. I just think that made him look like a bitter person with a real hatred for Grylls for no real reason and I think he is strange like that.

Maybe I'm a bit critical of Mears personality. I know he has amazing skills but that is not what I'm questioning.

Sorry if I annoy or bore you.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Good point. However ray had a go at bear Grylls (like him or loathe him) saying he was a fraud and rubbish at his job etc. anyway as you have said Mors wouldn't do that hence why I like him more. I just think that made him look like a bitter person with a real hatred for Grylls for no real reason and I think he is strange like that.

Maybe I'm a bit critical of Mears personality. I know he has amazing skills but that is not what I'm questioning.

Sorry if I annoy or bore you.

To quote you from the other thread on this subject...

That it is not what I said now is it? But you cannot deny that the media like to exaggerate things to beef up a better story.

While admit to being a Mears 'fanboy' for want of a better word. Having spent a week learning from the guy I can assure you he is a lot different in the flesh than he comes across on camera.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whatever you think about Mr Grylls - love him or loathe him - he has been proved to be a faker on more than one occasion (bear suits, waterfall harnesses, sleeping in hotels). For most of the rest (Mors, Ray, Les Stroud, Les Hiddins, Cody Lundin etc.) its a question of style - pick the one you like. Once you get into faked TV, people are critical - with some justification.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
To quote you from the other thread on this subject...

While admit to being a Mears 'fanboy' for want of a better word. Having spent a week learning from the guy I can assure you he is a lot different in the flesh than he comes across on camera.

Fair enough, I'll take it from you :). I probably am being a bit harsh on him as he is good at what he does and this thread is really about this so ill stop discussing him and comparing etc.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Whatever you think about Mr Grylls - love him or loathe him - he has been proved to be a faker on more than one occasion (bear suits, waterfall harnesses, sleeping in hotels). For most of the rest (Mors, Ray, Les Stroud, Les Hiddins, Cody Lundin etc.) its a question of style - pick the one you like. Once you get into faked TV, people are critical - with some justification.

Yes you are right I am just probably a bit led along by media scandals I suppose.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Less than a dozen posts and its into Bear, Ray, Like em hate em, brilliant. :)

Will have a read thanks. Listening to the BBC4 today and apparently he is on mid week, next week.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Meh, its all just a matter of taste. I think Ray is superb - he got survival (or bushcraft if we want to get all PC), onto mainstream TV - for which I will always like him. I like the guy's tv too - strikes me as a totally solid knowledgeable bloke.

Then again, Stovie, John Fenna, tombear, Toddy, Xylaria, Harvestman. Jon Deval could all host a great programme too!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Meh, its all just a matter of taste. I think Ray is superb - he got survival (or bushcraft if we want to get all PC), onto mainstream TV - for which I will always like him. I like the guy's tv too - strikes me as a totally solid knowledgeable bloke.

Then again, Stovie, John Fenna, tombear, Toddy, Xylaria, Harvestman. Jon Deval could all host a great programme too!

Yes I know what you mean. But a Bushcraftuk television programme would be immense! And your are 100% right about his knowledge there is no doubting that.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yes I know what you mean. But a Bushcraftuk television programme would be immense! And your are 100% right about his knowledge there is no doubting that.

How about "Strictly Bushcraft"

Wanna be shrafters pit themselves against each other in a series of tasks until only 3 remain. From here on in Lofty, Ray and Bear each take a finalist under their wing to prepare them for the ultimate challenge. And the ultimate reward. Presenting their own bushcrafting show. Who will win? Who will gain the coveted pink spork of shrafting.

You decide.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE