Interchangeable buckle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Possible daft question.

I have a high quality belt that had a poor quality buckle. It appeared to be brass but shattered at the weld as it was a poor quality cast metal.

I know I could remove the rivets and replace the buckle and rivers. Before I do, does anyone know if there are buckles with a shackle-type fixing? Something that could be inserted into the belt without removing the rivets?

Told you it may be daft. 🤓

I've looked on google but can't see anything so far.

Cheers.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
You ought to be able to convert a standard buckle by making a watch pin like contraption from some pipe and thick wire and a spring of a fitting diametre?

Or shop around for a buckle that clips on instead. I have oe for my everyday belt, and it's aces everytime in metal detectors at airports an such, since I can remove it without removing the belt.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
if you replace the rivets with press studs, then you can just open up the belt and change the buckle about easily

I don't really want to change buckles about, just replace this one tbh.

I hear what you're saying though. Seems like a few people are doing this in the interest of fashion. My google search has taken me to some weird places. 😎

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
if you replace the rivets with press studs, then you can just open up the belt and change the buckle about easily

I don't really want to change buckles about, just replace this one tbh.

I hear what you're saying though. Seems like a few people are doing this in the interest of fashion. My google search has taken me to some weird places. 

To be honest, that's been the standard on western belts since at least the 1950s (Maybe longer)

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Cobra buckles are excellent, i have one on the belt i'm wearing now. Pricey though but pretty much bombproof.

Tonyuk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It's a common display in western-wear stores here to see a case display of 5-50 different buckles.
As santaman notes, most western belts have press-studs for changing buckles.
I think its a good suggestion to go that way as they're not obvious.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Ok. Sound advice all.

I guess I won't need much in the way of tools?

What press studs are good? I'm thinking brass aesthetically. Once I remove the existing rivets, will I need a tool to install the press studs?

Cheers.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok. Sound advice all.

I guess I won't need much in the way of tools?

What press studs are good? I'm thinking brass aesthetically. Once I remove the existing rivets, will I need a tool to install the press studs?

Cheers.

I've never put my own studs in so I don't know which ones are best. However I do know from watching the parachute riggers do them that, yes, a tool (can't remember if it was a special punch or just an ordinary one the right size though) is needed. That said, the Chicago Rivets don't need any special tools; just screw them together.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
A drop of permanent locktight on the chicago screws and you'll have the best of both worlds. They definitely won't come loose, but can be taken off if necessary.

I use this method on belta I do for removable buckles unless someone really wants press studs.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
They do look like a brilliant solution.

This forum always comes up trumps. Amazing what people know and can point you in the direction of. Champion.

Thanks all - looking forward to trying these out.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There are lots of really fancy-faced ones sold as decorative bling for horse tack.
All that Amazon stuff looks very plain.
I suppose it depends on your taste for unobtrusive through stand-outs.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Buckle Culture. OK way to sum it up but we all just take it for granted.
There's hundreds if not thousands of them, all different.
If I could find all of mine, maybe a dozen.

Just about every industry here, sporting goods and brand names included, produces one or more belt buckles.
What sort of car/truck do you drive? Bet there's buckles for them.
I haunt a guitar/instrument shop. You should see the selection they have.
Many different bands, some rude, some crude, some just plain funny.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE