Insect Bite Piezo-electric Clicker Thingies....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
As well as mosquito repellent sprays, etc, I took one of those little plastic piezo-electric clicker things with me to the Gulf earlier this year. You put them over the bite and click a couple of times and it it meant to take the itching away.

Every now and again, I'd get bitten if I'd forgotten to put repellent on in time before the little buggers came out. I carried the clicky-thing looped around my smock pocket button to make sure I had it with me pretty much all the time.

I had mixed success with this clicker thing: sometimes it seemed to help and other times, there was little difference. I wonder whether it was psychosematic [sp?] and I'd persuaded myself that it was doing me good sometimes?

What are other people's experiences and does anyone know any of the science behind these gadgets? I'd love to know what the theory is.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've used them and most of the time they have worked well, the secret for me is to get clicking on the bite when it is as fresh as possible. The newer the bite the more effective the electrical current was at stopping it itch

L

Lee

hey mike, iv never used the "dont scratch click" device before but for what i understand they work by as you know administering a little electrical charge to the insect bite site. what this then does is shuts down the blood vessels to the isolated site, hence giving u pain relief, how ever it is only short term relief.

the manufactures prob got the idea from the bright sparks in the usa, that in the 80`s used stun guns to deal with "Possable" cases of venomous snake bites. which they thought worked 4 possable 2 reasons first a direct effect on the vemon chemistry and second as above closing down blood vessels, new research has proved that it does not assist. however it would assist with pain releaf in certain situations, hence all the stimulation pain relief machines on the market

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
My sister has gone to India for 6 months, she's been there for about 3 so far. She took one of those with her but I haven't yet asked her if it works. I'll ask her in our next correspondance and post the answer hear.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
These are a superb bit of kit ... I carried one all last summer and it worked great (and we really needed it in Scotland!!!)
The earlier you use it, the better it works!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have had only good results from the "click-it".

i agree it could be a phsycological thing, but even so it still works.

just thinking on a side line......

could they surve any other purpose?

fire lighter(to light gas or petrol fumes)?

some sort of animal scarer? to put off dogs etc(high frequency stuff)??

signalling, could the pulse be detected by rescue teams?(by now you will realise i know nothing about electricity! :roll: )

would it release a leech or tick "stungun"style???

or may be i'm tired and the questions are a bit silly. :roll:

GATOR

Dec 24, 2003
SW Florida, USA
Do you guys have a link to this device.

You've got my curiosity, cause from a medical standpoint I can't see how this would possibly work.

TIA

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
These are a complete waste of money in my opinion - they work for a few seconds but the itching quickly comes back worse than ever!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE