inexpensive rugged watch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Hi all, I'm looking for a new rugged watch for the times when I don't want to risk my nicer EDC watches (a citizen and a seiko)

It'll be used for bushcrafting, climbing, DIY, working on the car and anything else where I'm likely to scrape, hit or otherwise dammage the watch.

as such, I'm looking for something that's relatively inexpensive, since it's not going to be used much, and is basically disposeable.

I realise the classic choice would be something like a basic casio G-shock, but given the choice I would prefer:

• analogue - I don't really get along with digital watches anymore. especially for outdoors use
  • GITD hands and/or face and/or backlight - I use it outdoors for camping, night hikes and so on so I need to be able to read it at night.
  • rotating bezel - less a requirement, more a asthetic preference.
  • maximum spend of about £40

I'm not too worried about what sort of strap comes with it as standard, unless it comes with non-standard strap mounting points, since I can allways replace an innapropriate strap with an inexpensive NATO type band.

Last edited:

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Vostok Amphibia. It's a soviet Rolex Submariner, and around £40 if you search online. 200m waterproof, automatic, shock-resistant, tank of a dive-watch. I love mine. Looks great on a 'Thunderball' NATO strap.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
What's the point of owning a Seiko or a Citizen if you're not going to wear it. I've owned both at different times and they will cope with everything you've listed and a whole lot more abuse besides without becoming unduly tatty.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
What's the point of owning a Seiko or a Citizen if you're not going to wear it. I've owned both at different times and they will cope with everything you've listed and a whole lot more abuse besides without becoming unduly tatty.

the seiko has considerable sentimental value since I inherrited it from my dad. and I've just had a close call with the citizen when it got caught on something when I came off a climbing wall. the strap broke and I almost lost it down a drain. plus, as things go, they are both big investments for me (apart from my laptop and phone I don't think I own anything that would cost more to replace) so I'd rather not risk it.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
the seiko has considerable sentimental value since I inherrited it from my dad. and I've just had a close call with the citizen when it got caught on something when I came off a climbing wall. the strap broke and I almost lost it down a drain. plus, as things go, they are both big investments for me (apart from my laptop and phone I don't think I own anything that would cost more to replace) so I'd rather not risk it.

Fair comment. The sentimental value is irreplaceable, broken straps are just one of those things...

I would wholeheartedly recommend the basic model Timex Expedition.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Vostok Amphibia. It's a soviet Rolex Submariner, and around £40 if you search online. 200m waterproof, automatic, shock-resistant, tank of a dive-watch. I love mine. Looks great on a 'Thunderball' NATO strap.

+1 for the Vostok and similar. You get a whole lotta bullet proof watch for your money plus it has the cool factor of being made behind the iron curtain.

http://www.russia4u.co.uk/categories.php

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I don't think you would get a GITD for £40.

As a substitute (a clone of the Luminox Navy Seal Watch without GITD) at £35, I have one of these which has stood up very well and has a very clear face to read:

http://www.kmnw.co.uk/store/index.p...id=449&zenid=dd1d713a59c062e1734509709601ec3f

I use it when I don't want to damage my Nite MX10 (which has sentimental value).

It has the standard light activated glow in the dark markings, which will last a good few hours before needing reactivating.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I've got one of these that I wear when I'm doing jobs around the house (wife likes to be in a state of perpetual redecorating).

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2513306.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:2513306%7Ccat:jewellery+and+watches+%2F+men%26%23180%3Bs+watches+%2F+men%26%23180%3Bs+sports+watches+%2F

It's a good watch and looks good on a NATO strap.

I also give a plus one to the Vostok recommendations, probably the best bang for buck watches out there.

Cheers
Sean

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Does it need to be on your wrist? Most watches will have a longer life if you keep it in your pack or in a pouch around your neck.

Just a thought. :)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England

that model just happens to be the citizen that is one of my every day watches. prices have gone down.....interesting. maybe replacing my every day one, and using the old one as my dirty watch would be a possibility. food for thought.

Does it need to be on your wrist? Most watches will have a longer life if you keep it in your pack or in a pouch around your neck.

Just a thought.

it's a good idea, but often times I need to refer to the watch reguraly, which makes pack difficult (if I even have a pack, depending on what I'm doing). I've never gotten on with neck carry. anything more than a pair of dog tags starts to annoy me.

Last edited:

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
that model just happens to be the citizen that is one of my every day watches. prices have gone down.....interesting. maybe replacing my every day one, and using the old one as my dirty watch would be a possibility. food for thought.

Better yet, if you like the miltary style citizens, get one of these for looking good and use your old one as a beater.

watchwarehouse.co.uk/watches/bm6400-00e.html

Absolutely cracking watch for the money, the lume is superb. Having little kids I'm often wandering around the house in the middle of the night, this thing just does not stop glowing. Looks great with a suit too.

Last edited by a moderator:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I went through exactly this dilemna last year. I wanted something rugged but cheap, preferably analogue too. I checked out the G-Shocks, the radium analogues, etc. In the end I plumped for a Casio F91, cost around 5€. It's lightweight, narrow (doesn't snag on sleeves), tough (has been bashed around and hasn't broke), I can concentrate on what work I'm doing without having to worry about my watch (it's so cheap to replace). I seldom need to check the time in the dark (although it does have a feeble, but adequate, backlight). The only downside is that part of the black plastic reacted with DEET insect replellent (no big problem).

At the time I really wanted to spend more on a watch "fit for the outdoors". But now after many months of excellent performance, I'm very happy I made the choice I did.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
I think just a cheap casio ,iv had some so called nice watches and man there hard to live with ,but something more slim as the last guy was saying a non snagger ,the best watch I have ever owned is my every day wear gws g10 trinium vials had it for a year now and never take it off so sold my deepsea and planet ocean . It's worth a look it's a custom type watch by greens watch services. G10 mil spec.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the Casio ones. I use mine when digging, or when I *plan* to get filthy. It's over fifteen years old now and owes me nothing. Still sound, still clear and easy to read.

That said, most of the time there's a little Rotary ladies gold watch on my wrist, and it's successfully survived scree slopes :eek: pond clearings, gardening, the dishwashing, dyeing, you name it, and it's still going strong too :)

The Casio is digital and the Rotary is analogue.
There's always someone on ebay flogging the Rotary ones at a huge discount too.

cheers,
Toddy

Very good call. I only own one watch but I have a weakness for a nice one... ironically these are very individual and affordable too! I know vanity and bushcraft dont mix but we all have our kryptonite!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE