ID this branch? Please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Found this branch beside a road and cut a spoon blank out of it.
The buds look like this:

The bark looks like this:

I just want to make sure it's not poisonous before I carve a spoon out of it so if someone knows what it is you'll have my gratitude. :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It's definately both from the same branch. If it's horse chestnut, I suppose I'll have to find some other use for it...
Thanks guys.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Wouldn't worry about it Niels. Yew is highly toxic, but you can safely make utensils from it. Just don't eat the wood :p

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I don't think a spoon made out of toxic wood is dangerous, because as HillBill says, I too have seen spoons made out of yew used by people that are still alive.
But better safe than sorry, so I'm gonna try and make it into a woodspirit now. So I don't risk poisoning myself.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The 'poisonous' thing can get silly. Apples contain cyanide in the seeds in the core, but no-one worries if they eat one by accident.

Looking forward to your woodspirit Niels. Can't be worse than my only attempt, which didn't get anywhere near being shown on the forum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE