Iceland - help needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok I'm considering a trip to Iceland and need a starting point.

Recommendations of places to visit, stay and things to see.

The trip is likely to be sometime over the next couple of months.

It's not particularly Bushcrafty this one more a sight seeing, whale watching, Northern lights kinda gig.

Any help most appreciate.

Cheers,

David

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I always go for the 5 for a pound, when i go to iceland, and the prepacked cheese board is really good lol....

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
I have never visited Iceland in winter, but I guess the main thing to be aware of is really short days, only a few hours of light in the north at this time of year. How will you be traveling, and where will you be staying? There is great online roads information you can see what the weather is like and which roads are open.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Here's what I'd recommend:

The Blue Lagoon - a bit of a tourist trap, but really smart, and if you're taking girls with you, well, they'll love it! Very relaxing and not massively expensive. Try the dipped ice creams in the cafe there.

In Reykjavik, you should visit the cathedral - worth it for the look out over the city from its spire. Coffee shops in the town (Try Mocca). Icelandic fish and chips is a pocket friendly restaurant near the harbour.

You can go whale watching from Reykjavik, but you're most likely to see dolphins and minke whales. For the bigger and better Whales, go to the north coast.

Pingvellur is a must - a rift valley and V impressive (well, I thought so). Geysir is a tourist trap, but worth a few hours of your time. For a more adventurous (i.e. less touristy) experience explore the peninsular around the Blue Lagoon. Lots of geothermal activity to see along with hugely impressive lave fields. In the area you may come across all these fish drying stands - well worth a look. Kerid is a volcano cone you can actually enter (good for kids - it's very small).

Have a look at the Viking sagas in the museum in town.

Didn't get to explore along the south coast - If I were to go again, I would definitely go to see the iceberg lagoon down there.

Everyone says it - food and drink is very expensive, so stock up in the supermarkets for lunches etc. Try the Malt drink - lovely! And if you're daring, try the black death vodka.

It is windy all the time, so dress appropriately, take lots of lipsalve as well. The weather is very changeable so be prepared.

Everyone is exceptionally well behaved on the roads, and driving is easy. Most of the link roads are single carriageway metalled roads, but out in the country you can expect gravel tracks - avoid going off road unless you know what you're doing and you have a properly equipped vehicle (I think that off-roading as we'd understand is illegal anyway). The roadside verges are VERY soft and it's easy to get bogged in.

Take a camera, and nick the shower caps in the hotel so you can protect it against the rain. I took my dslr and the things I used most were the tripod and ND filters for those moody shots of waterfalls.

The northern lights only regularly appear in winter - we went in April and were told that 'it's too warm now!'

We found the Icelandic people very friendly and helpful.

All in all, we had a great time and would go back.

Hope you have a great trip!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
We went for 10 days, Started out in Reykjavik, rented a car, and drove clockwise around the entire island.

We ended up back at the Blue lagoon :) One of the best holidays i've had :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Stunnng place to visit fantastic landscape. Waterfalls and glaciers are a must. Loads of good walking and birding. Geyser and gulfoss are a bit more touristy but still worth a visit. Beware once out of the capital the are few people and the weather can change in an instant so be prepared.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Many thanks for all the helpful advice and tips. From the conversation I've just had it looks like it might be February.

I'll come back with more details as I have them.

Cheers all.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Get a "Lonely Planet" and or "Rough Guide" book from the library or print info from their website.
Heaps of info on places to visit , stay eat etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE