I want to make a family billy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Title says it really

I want to make a billy big enough to cook for 4 to 6 people. I've looked at the 16 cm zebras but I'd quite like to make my own large billy in stainless for very cheap.

I've looked in a few places but never found a donor container thats big enough or that I'm happy will give good service

What I'm asking is:

Have you seen and can you recall where I can find a container that will do sort of big biscuit barrel type thing preferably with a metal lid ?

Any ideas on 2mm stainless cable or wire for the bail ? cheep, recycled, new ?

if the container has no lid can you recommend a decent solution?

I await your as usual ingenious, resourceful and entertaining comment.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about the large stainless catering stockpots ? A pal of mine got a set of three on the cheap around christmas time from one of those designer outlets near York. The smallest one is probably around 24cm diameter.
They've got stainless lids too I think but you'd need to take the handles off maybe.

Like this ...
Stockpot.jpg

I saw some at a car boot last year but our lass wouldn't let me buy them :(

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I used one of these alongside my Dutch Oven on a Scout Camp and was so chuffed I bought two for myself from britishmilitarysurplus - good delivery etc. Oval in shape, big lid suitable for frying, works as a bucket (oval seems stronger than round and carries better against the leg).

I hang mine from a home made tripod.

Recommended.

Richard

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They are a good price, I have that set for dyeing. The only thing I'd say is that they are stock pots and that means they're thin on the base. Things stick and burn if you fill the pot with anything that weighs itself down.

I had thought of them for camping but in the end I bought stainless steel stock pots with laminated bases. These diffuse the heat and aren't quite so footery to use.

The thin based ones are fine if you want a pot for soup or the like though.

cheers,
Toddy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
If you go to a Shelter charity shop they sell large stainless steel cooking pots. Can't remember how much because we bought one yonks ago. But I do remember it was dirt cheap.
Another alternative is to buy a large cooking pot from Wilkos or somehwere like that. You can then drill a couple of holes to attach a chain for hanging over the fire.

What about the large stainless catering stockpots ? A pal of mine got a set of three on the cheap around christmas time from one of those designer outlets near York. The smallest one is probably around 24cm diameter.
They've got stainless lids too I think but you'd need to take the handles off maybe.

Like this ...
Stockpot.jpg

I saw some at a car boot last year but our lass wouldn't let me buy them :(

they have that type ish in the local surplus store in Ringwood small one is £7.99 add a pound each time forr teh next 2 sizes up

personaly for pot that size unless you like soup :( and i know its not so cheap But i prefer a Dutch oven as its much more versatile its heavy too but im guessing your not puttin this one in a rucksack :D

mmmmmm now we are cookin on wood :lmao:
P4120090.jpg

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
They had some stainless steel biscuit barrels in matalan. I got one of the smaller tea containers, which i use on my own, works well no warping etc..

Rob

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
this might sound stupid but why not buy a metal 3 foot high barrel with lid and then just lay it down horizontily and cut it in half. use the lid as a fire base and the bottem half as a billy and through whats left on the scrap metal pile for later project.

then take the bottem half file the edges smooth and drill holes and use break cable for bail arm and bobs your uncle

drew

ps make sure barrel is food safe first

pps or you could just take lid off and then add bail arm and there you go but i think that would be to big

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE