I quite fancy one of these....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was looking at electric 4x4's the other day and I have to admit that I like the look of the Bollinger B2 it's based on the B1 but bigger, a bit more like my old defender 110's

Reactions: Erbswurst

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Did you see the Rivian pickup? It looks amazingly practical and makes the bolinger look like lazy design in comparison. Pricey though.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So I love the performance and specs etc of the Rivian, but I'd not like to climb on it with my boots, whereas the Bollinger looks better for climbing on, sitting the kids on the roof etc. But, it's also cheaper which is great... Not that I can afford any of them!!

Reactions: MrEd

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Did you see the Rivian pickup? It looks amazingly practical and makes the bolinger look like lazy design in comparison. Pricey though.

Yeh, but it looks awful (sorry, biased opinion probably :) )

What I really want is a 4x4 hybrid that combines the distance capability of having a diesel/petrol engine with the infinite and precise torque control of electric drive. BUT it must have a motor per wheel so there is no transmission to mess up the ground clearance.

A 4x4 is of no use to me unless I can drive 400 miles plus, in arduous conditions, without having to recharge/re-fuel.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Yeh, but it looks awful (sorry, biased opinion probably :) )

What I really want is a 4x4 hybrid that combines the distance capability of having a diesel/petrol engine with the infinite and precise torque control of electric drive. BUT it must have a motor per wheel so there is no transmission to mess up the ground clearance.

A 4x4 is of no use to me unless I can drive 400 miles plus, in arduous conditions, without having to recharge/re-fuel.

That’s the downside - fossil fuel powered you can (almost) endlessly top up the tank from Jerry cans etc to extend your range.

Batteries - charge them remotely how - either solar (would need a LOT) or a fuel generator (which defeats the object)

Also, I off road fairly frequently in my defender and the abuse the drive train takes in the form of silty muddy water, and constant hammering of ruts, bumps etc makes me wonder if a relatively ‘delicate’ electric motor would stand up to that kind of abuse.

One option would be a big motor in the place of the gearbox driving a conventional drivetrain underneath but then you would lose the benefit of fine wheel control that you would get from motors on each corner.

It works on road going vehicles but not sure the tech is ‘quite’ there for a serious off road capable vehicle.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That’s the downside - fossil fuel powered you can (almost) endlessly top up the tank from Jerry cans etc to extend your range.

Batteries - charge them remotely how - either solar (would need a LOT) or a fuel generator (which defeats the object)

Also, I off road fairly frequently in my defender and the abuse the drive train takes in the form of silty muddy water, and constant hammering of ruts, bumps etc makes me wonder if a relatively ‘delicate’ electric motor would stand up to that kind of abuse.

One option would be a big motor in the place of the gearbox driving a conventional drivetrain underneath but then you would lose the benefit of fine wheel control that you would get from motors on each corner.

It works on road going vehicles but not sure the tech is ‘quite’ there for a serious off road capable vehicle.

There must be some hard use electric motors around though?

Doing away with axles and stuff does sound fantastic doesn't it

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I was looking at electric 4x4's the other day and I have to admit that I like the look of the Bollinger B2 it's based on the B1 but bigger, a bit more like my old defender 110's

I love how they keep describing it's 'unique' features and make it sound even more like a land rover lol

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah definitely must be, but whether they would be light enough/powerful enough/small enough to be used at the wheel is another thing

Good point. If the technology is there though it's a relatively small step to re-engineer it into a different application.
Deffo could be done it's just a case of the demand being there

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nearly every vehicle manufacturer on the planet is working on electric drive technology. There was a demo Land Rover 110 with individual drive motors to each wheel in 2008.

To be honest the whole concept of electric drive for off-road vehicles has been discussed in military vehicle establishments since the early eighty's and a lot of early work is now coming to fruition but mainly because of the vast amount of money being spent in the civilian sector.

It's a vehicle designer's dream to have such control over the torque delivery to individual wheels; it almost makes me wish I was still involved … mmm... may be not; I'm enjoying the freedom I have to play :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Landrover built an electric rangerover in the 70's

Birmingham (I think) had electric dustbin lorries at around the same time.
It's about time they came of age really

Oh there's also an electric off road motorbike in production too I forget the name but the makers seem confidant the motors are up to the job, as they would be obviously

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
"Spartan", with limited range and speed, but the off-road terrain it crossed was out of this world!

1200px-Apollo15LunarRover.jpg

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hmmm, looks remarkably familiar. a wrangler/ defender love child?
I actually do like the look of it, shame about the range though. 600 miles minimum for me. Saying that, the rate this technology is evolving, i don't think it will be long before that's realistic.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Must admit I'm not sold on electric vehicles from the environmental point of view. The precious metals used in the batteries and the need for polluting power stations to generate electricity. I've been to Switzerland and seen waste plants turning organic waste (food, grass, leaves) into biogas that can then go into vehicles. Cheap fuel for the local citizens. I wish we were going down this route.

Reactions: MrEd and Sundowner

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE