I need a new headtorch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My Petzl Tika has been dropped and the casing has cracked, (it's now held together with duct tape). I really liked the tikka but seeing as I have to get a new un in the near future, i was wondering if anyone on the board has any good suggestions for an alternative for around the £30 mark ??

Do I go for something different?? Or get another Tikka?? :shock:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've yet to find something better for the size/weight/price. Although Petzl do have a new one coming out.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
tikka plus. :)

A fraction heavier, but not much, the dim mode is nice for low light reading and battery conservation and it has 4x led's not 3, so is a little brighter on full power mode. The switch is easier to opperate, being a multi-mode button press, rather than the old (and a bit awkward) slide switch.

Good torch.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Is the Tikka plus as waterproof (or water resistant) as the Tikka? Is it the same stainless steel construction that resists corrosion and burst battery problems!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Well, it was waterproof in the fact that if it got a soaking, all you had to do was openit, shake the water out, give it a quick wipe and it worked.

The battery contacts are stainless steel on the Tikka ... a nice, useful touch!

Martyn said:
Dunno Adi, to be honest, I didnt think the tikka was water resistant at all. It looks the same to me, not sure where the SS is though, all looks plastic to me. ;)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Princeton Tec makes a great one. Waterproof too. I've got a couple and they are great. Haven't tried the newer one with the two leds but it looks like a good one for the ultralight crowd. Mine has three leds and lots of modes. Did I mention it's waterproof? :-D

M

mbrodw

If you can spend a tenner or so more then i would go for one of the Petzl Myo Range i have the myo 5 belt and it is by far the best headtorch for size and weight i have seen!

Mark

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello I have Tikka plus the new one with 4 LEDS+selfajustable headcord.
Fantastic 66 prs with batteries and more than 150 hours of light.
No waterproof but water resistant.
Even the lower ligth power is usefull of inside tent task, full power light good for walking.
Go, buy and don´t lost your time to for a night walk.

Y

yowee

Theres a new Tikka plus called the tech that also has a flip down red lense for night nav still has 4 leds, same price as the normal tikka plus thats the one I'm about to buy, let you know how it works out,
cheers
:-D :shock:

Y

yowee

The Tactikka is the 3 led version there is a Tactikka plus version coming soon which will be the 4 led version with a flip up red lense, if you can't wait for that version you can buy a normal tikka plus and buy either a red or a green lense that can be bought as accessories. :-D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
yowee said:
The Tactikka is the 3 led version there is a Tactikka plus version coming soon which will be the 4 led version with a flip up red lense, if you can't wait for that version you can buy a normal tikka plus and buy either a red or a green lense that can be bought as accessories. :-D

Think I might wait a while for the TacTikka plus.. sounds like it's going to be a winner :-D

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I dont think the tactikka has the vertical tilt mechanism.
Could be wrong, I haven't laid my hands on one.

S

Strider

The tikka plus is as water resistant as the tikka and also shares the stainless battery contacts.... ive used it for a while now and think its great.
The PrincetonTec one is also very nice..has one extra mode than the tikka plus-it can flash both slow AND fast :roll: but it is waterproof to 30 feet or suming..and is plenty bright as tikkaplus. The tilt on the priceton one dusn't have a ratchet thing like the petzel...but it can swivel further(not that the tikka plus isnt more than adequate) and seems perfectly able to hold position. Both weigh little enough for you not be bothered by them..and have comfortable head bands.
All in all..two very good torches..last yonks too!!

Also Silva do a 4 LED head torch i believe..haven't seen/used one though...

Good hunting!
Strider.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Well

After a few PM's and several Emails Womble has sorted me out witha Tikka Plus for a very reasonable price (Cheers Mate :-D ) and I'm mightily impressed.
I loved the tikka but the improvements on the Tikka plus are bob on !! Namely the extra LED, the switch and the different levels of brightness..not to mention the adjustable headpiece. Beezer Kit !!

And to top it Womble phoned me to make sure everything arrived safely and we had a little chat about how Mr Mears is calling his next series "bushcraft!" *cough* (what a top bloke :) )

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The Tikka Plus is great. Nice and light and the batteries last for yonks.
Start off on the dim setting and , as the batteries go, boost to medium, then bright.
Love mine. Although not waterproof you can fill it with water and it will still work. Dry it out when you're done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE