"I live without cash – and I manage just fine "

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
"I can live without cash - and I manage just fine with my laptop, my caravan and a pal with an organic farm" :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
He sponges of those who day pay tax. Same as he does when he uses the police, or the roads, or all manner of tax funded services.

I am very, very, into self reliance, but I have a deep seated moral objection to sponging off others. So part of "self reliance" for us, morally is to ensure that we earn enough in the Winter to pay in more than we take out. This type of thinking is basically human parasitism - the same as "freegans". It relies on the contributions of others - it cannot be a true lifestyle available to all.

Red

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Well said red, I saw a programme about some vicar a few years ago who was trying to live without money, it basically involved scabbing off other people as well

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
question is were does he go when he gets ill

Maybe he doesn't. If that's him in the picture, he looks young enough not to have had that particular worry yet. Now at 41, I was in rude good health until I hit 38, whereupon I popped a disc in my lower spine which paralysed me from the waist down. Without the timely intervention of an extremely expensive MRI scanner, several ambulances, a microdiscectomy and partial laminectomy performed with the delicate operating touch of a certain Mr. Gurusingh (thank you again sir, you are a marvel!) I wouldn't be able to walk (amongst other things) to this day.

It's not just me either... my Father visited his GP once for a sinus infection, the GP's parting comment was "See you in another 26 years!" which, sadly, was not very prophetic. At 62 he was diagnosed with bowel cancer and he died from an infectious 'complication' to the reversal surgery to remove tumors which he picked up in hospital. He was 66.

We've all got it coming, one way or another, and modern medicine is financially supported by the financial culture we've built over the last few hundred years.

Personally... I'd rather not go back to 18th C medicine thanks.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
He sponges of those who day pay tax. Same as he does when he uses the police, or the roads, or all manner of tax funded services.

I am very, very, into self reliance, but I have a deep seated moral objection to sponging off others. So part of "self reliance" for us, morally is to ensure that we earn enough in the Winter to pay in more than we take out. This type of thinking is basically human parasitism - the same as "freegans". It relies on the contributions of others - it cannot be a true lifestyle available to all.

Red

exactly fully fledged sponger

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This is the same chap who announced to the world that he was going to walk from England to India, again without money. He made it as far as Calais where he gave up because nobody spoke English.

You can look through an earlier thread about him here.

He has now rebranded himself as the 'moneyless man'. I wonder if the Guardian paid for his article with a box of veg?

:)

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
This is the same chap who announced to the world that he was going to walk from England to India, again without money. He made it as far as Calais where he gave up because nobody spoke English.

You can look through an earlier thread about him here.

He has now rebranded himself as the 'moneyless man'. I wonder if the Guardian paid for his article with a box of veg?

:)

If only he had some money to buy a phrase book

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Red

Pretty much that^

rg598

Native

Red

Very well put.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.

Red

Well said Red.

I wonder if the media would be interested in a story about someone who paid into the system for years, then bought their own place to be self reliant in, and still pays taxes?

Unfortunately hard work and self reliance aren't as headline grabbing as ridiculous claims made by spongers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE