I broke my mora

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
As you read the title , I broke my mora :)
I am now curious if i grind some piece of the blade to make it as a small tang , will it be a good small carving knife ?
I have some handle wood and some epoxy to do it , but will the tang be enough ?

dc0266cdbbc1.jpg

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I broke it because I am a noob and have no experience , I am really mad at myself
It was a rotten tree something which I could even brake with bare hands , so I pushed the knife in the crack and turned on the sides to split it , I really don't know why it broke it was nothing serious I then split it with bare hands :(

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
The left over bit would make a great scraper for a ferro rod, i've found sometimes when my hands are really cold i could really do with a nice sized comfortable handle on the scraper, could easily drill a hole in the handle (avoiding the rat tail tang) and hang a ferro rod from it with a bit of paracord

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
The left over bit would make a great scraper for a ferro rod, i've found sometimes when my hands are really cold i could really do with a nice sized comfortable handle on the scraper, could easily drill a hole in the handle (avoiding the rat tail tang) and hang a ferro rod from it with a bit of paracord

Good Idea ! should I leave it like that ? or how should I grind it ? only tool I have is the electric hand saw.
I am going to start to shape the tang now , I will keep you updated

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Send it back with a nice letter stating there is no way the knife should have broken as such are endorsed by the Godfather of Bushcraft.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Send it back with a nice letter stating there is no way the knife should have broken as such are endorsed by the Godfather of Bushcraft.

Sending it back from Georgia to USA will cost 2 new mora companion price :D

I am grinding it now and it is getting hot really soon so I am waiting it to cool down and then grind again to not lose the heat treat strenth

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Good Idea ! should I leave it like that ? or how should I grind it ? only tool I have is the electric hand saw.
I am going to start to shape the tang now , I will keep you updated

I would use the bit still left on the handle for what i was thinking, drilling a hole in the end of the handle slightly off centre will miss the tang, then i'd use the blade edge for creating sparks on the ferro rod

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Not sure what i'd do with the rest of the blade but i would feel the need to think of something for some mad reason i can't quite work out

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Which model was it? It looks a bit like the Triflex. If so, it's a much higher carbon steel and more prone to breakage.

However, bottom line is, you were probably using it wrong. Slight twisting while splitting wood to open the split slightly is usually ok. As a prybar, nope.

Good thing about Moras, they're cheap enough to be decent learning knives, and you might get a nice little carver from the remains of that one :)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Which model was it? It looks a bit like the Triflex. If so, it's a much higher carbon steel and more prone to breakage.

However, bottom line is, you were probably using it wrong. Slight twisting while splitting wood to open the split slightly is usually ok. As a prybar, nope.

Good thing about Moras, they're cheap enough to be decent learning knives, and you might get a nice little carver from the remains of that one :)

It is companion.

One question , after I make holes in the handle how do I chisel out the wood in between the holes without a chisel ? :)

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
It is companion.

One question , after I make holes in the handle how do I chisel out the wood in between the holes without a chisel ? :)

How do you mean? Can you show a pic?

When you reduce the blade with your sander(?) do it in stages and don't let it get hot or the steel may lose its hardness and hence ability to hold a good edge.

(Sorry if you know that, but you said you were a noob).

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
How do you mean? Can you show a pic?

When you reduce the blade with your sander(?) do it in stages and don't let it get hot or the steel may lose its hardness and hence ability to hold a good edge.

(Sorry if you know that, but you said you were a noob).

Yes that's exactly what I am doing , it takes 5 sec about to get hot so that I can't even hold in hand and then I am waiting it to cool down for 10 min of whatever it takes , it is doing good has not changed color thank god.
Tomorrow I will make a handle and then I will post the pic about what I am saying.
I am using a electric hand grinder which isn't the best tool for this job.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Turn the bit left in the handle into a chip carving knife. :)

Lets first see how this blade will come out
I think I will do what was said here drill a hole in the handle put paracord and attach a ferro rod , I just tested it works like no other scraper I have

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE