Hultafors axes query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Never noticed the chopper and a good bit cheaper.

Basically for those short jaunts up to a mile from the car for splitting, my own thinking was to go for the hunter.
I think the extra inches of the chopper might annoy when carrying.

But, hey that's a really good price though

CallsignSam

Nomad
Jun 13, 2013
Kent
I have the trekking axe and it is a great axe for the money. I have also just ordered the huntung axe which should be here tomorrow or friday.

It has the bit of extra legnth and different shape head, and i just wanted a new axe really...
I can give you some comparisons when it gives here.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have an original 'husky' hatchet for wee jobs, so the chopper is probably what i need for processing logs for the camp fire

£31.97 all in, amazing..

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Chopping axe ordered,

thanks gents

I do a lot of arborist work and use a couple of hultafors for that. They are a lot of axe for the money, especially the one red linked to
If you have a small husky hatchet (crafting axe) then the chopping axe is an even better choice IMO

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think more helve is more important than more head. I also think there is a "sweet spot" around 2' and 2lbs that just "works". Call it a cruiser, a "boys axe", a limbing axe or a Forest axe - it just works - but is not too heavy.

I really hope you like the power and control it offers.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Swmbo will probably take it until my birthday, i bought a watch today that was to be put away but i'm wearing it (she's just in from work and hasn't noticed yet) lol

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I think more helve is more important than more head. I also think there is a "sweet spot" around 2' and 2lbs that just "works". Call it a cruiser, a "boys axe", a limbing axe or a Forest axe - it just works - but is not too heavy.

I really hope you like the power and control it offers.

To me its a boys axe, but yeah absolutely agree. I'd rather lose a little off the head to gain on the haft

Incidentally. I'v only ever heard the word "cruiser" to describe a double bit. i didn't *know* people used It as a general axe size name.....every day a school day an all that eh

*edit*

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ah yep see what you mean now, my mistake

as before a Single or double bit, 2 or 2 1/2 lb axe with a sub 30" haft is an absolute joy to use. Personally I like 2lb on a 26" haft

Edited my last post to make a bit more sense too lol

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've got the classic trekking axe Tam if ye fancy popping over for a nosey and a play with it. Got a good few small trees needing cut down and chopped up if yer up to it. Failing that, there's always the chainsaws lol. If ye want tae geez a hawn and there might even be a pie n beans in it for ye ;)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've got the classic trekking axe Tam if ye fancy popping over for a nosey and a play with it. Got a good few small trees needing cut down and chopped up if yer up to it. Failing that, there's always the chainsaws lol. If ye want tae geez a hawn and there might even be a pie n beans in it for ye ;)

I'll try and manage that Dave

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've had the chopper axe for a few years now and it is a really nice bit of kit. Pity it doesn't have the forged finish but not the end of the world.
Mine arrived shaving sharp but needed a cover making up for it. - "Palace" of this parish was kind enough to make one up for me.

The axe will likely need a bit of a clean up as the final grinding is a bit rough - but it has been a very solid and reliable work horse for me. a real nice tool.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE