How thick is the ICE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Does any one know how thick the ice will be on the lake? Tepee says it will be very thick. Im thinking about buying a cheap algar when me and dave have chance, or if it is possible buy a cheap crow bar for breaking thru the ice with. Hopefully it will be not to thick as we could do with drinking water, and it would be fun to try and catch some fish. If not we will just have to melt some more snow.

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I am taking a Mora auger that will take me down to 135 cm and perhaps a bit more if I chop a basin to start with. Last year in Bardufoss we were on ice over 125 cm thick and it was late in the season.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I spent most of last winter on ice roads where 36 inches is common. If you are going to play on it for any amount of time I would check it daily or twice daily if you are concerned. 3-4 inches is pretty much minimal thickness to be safe. You can keep your waterhole from freezing over if you fill it up with evergreen branches and shovel some snow over it if you have access to them.

ice_thickness_chart.jpg

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Thank you all thats all very usefull, i will try and find time to make one of those ice chizzel, out of a old big broken chizzel, i have in my sheed. And yes i agree that local knowledge will be the best source of information. Esspecially if i am putting my life and the lives of others in danger. That reminds me i still need to make some ice fangs. I foud the ice chart very useful its easy to remember things when they are visual like that. I will look more at mora arlgers, as they sound quite good. Thanks guyscarton.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE