How safe are women alone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive recently been thinking of taking myself on a hiking/camping trip alone in scotland or wales for a few days. I don't want to go way out in the wilderness because im inexperienced, possibly just sticking to camping grounds. My worry is how safe exactly is it for women to do this on their own? Ive only grown up with local town hysteria that tells me where ever I go alone I'm likely to be found dead in a ditch the next day, picked up by some rapist or murderer. I have a feeling this isnt the true picture though, and that women are alot safer out in the country than they are in towns.
Im only 4 foot 11 and 25, I look much younger, and unfortunately Ive always let this fact hold me back from doing things on my own.
Any other women out there who camp and hike alone?

At a pinch, I do have a boyfriend who is 6"3 and built like a brick s***house, but I felt like a bit of solitude!

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Not being a woman I'm not really the best person to comment. Statistics do however show that you are much more likely to attacked by someone you know than by a stranger - something like nine or ten times more likely.

Common sense also needs to apply. Sitting round a camp fire drinking with men, strangers or not greatly increases the risk, that sort of thing.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Sitting round a camp fire drinking with men, strangers or not greatly increases the risk, that sort of thing.

Also, even if you are in no danger, you may well get hit on by randy male campers who think they are in love with you. I'm not kidding. Scientific research has proved that there is a very fine line between the feelings of euphoria caused by being in the great outdoors along with people of a similar outlook and interests, and feelings of love and sexuality. For blokes, being in the great outdoors can actually make them horny. If there is a pretty unaccompanied female nearby, all the testosterone kicks in and they want to be chatting you up. They also think you'll feel the same way.

This is one of the reasons many women stop going to meets or camping trips after a couple of times. They love the outdoors, but get fed up of men (some of them married) hitting on them regardless of how innocent the intent.

Anyway, there's no reason you shouldn't give it a try. Some precautions might be in order like a shreek alarm, but I think you're probably in more danger in a town centre or outside a nightclub than on a campsite.

I'd be interested in seeing what some of the ladies think.

Good luck either way.

Eric

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I personally wouldn't worry about it at all. I'm female, not unattractive and I've lived for the last 20 or so years in the countryside. I have walked alone far and wide in remote spots, daytime, evenings, back from the pub after dark. If camping out was my thing I wouldn't have worried about doing that either, but personally I prefer my bed!

Folk like to chat and occasionally I've felt the attention has been a little more than I've wanted, but surplus blokes are easy to get rid of. Look for a nice place to stop then just be open and honest, "Well it was nice meeting you, but now I'd like to be on my own again to watch some birds / identify some flowers / read my book. Goodbye and enjoy your walk." Then walk off, sit yourself down, pull your book or binos out of your bag and do whatever you said you were going to. If you act with confidence they will just go on their way!

As Mirius said, random attacks by strangers are exceedingly rare, but don't tempt fate by sitting around the camp fire drinking with a bunch of blokes you don't know.

Enjoy,
Nicola

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Ive recently been thinking of taking myself on a hiking/camping trip alone in scotland or wales for a few days. I don't want to go way out in the wilderness because im inexperienced, possibly just sticking to camping grounds.

Have you thought about joining a club? I know you want some solitude, but in my experience outdoor clubs will usually have a few like minded ladies who you can start camping with. After all, campsites don't offer a much solitude in any event.

Once you start getting the hang of things then you can have a go at more isolated camping. The golden rules being leave absolutely *no* trace and that includes stuff that "biodegrades" (I even fluff up the grass again!); be discrete (avoid camping where you are visible either from the paths or from a distance, hide yourself somewhere pleasant. If you do nothing to attract attention to yourself, it's extremely unlikely that a n'er do well is likely to be wandering round randomly miles from anywhere off the path! Of course if you are making a lot of noise and lighting big fires on the hillside facing town, you might as well be inviting visitors.

In my experience, I rarely see anyone when camping in the sticks even in popular areas of the Lake District. Amazing how a small green tent can dissapear into a landscape :D

Scoops

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This is a tough question for a guy to answer and for us across the pond. As a person who often travels alone into wild country in the U.S., I rarely go unarmed. That's probably not an option for you and even it it was, I realize some people don't like that option. There are several other options that might help give you confidence. Carry a cane or walking stick (learn how to use it defensively), pepper spray, and/or a dog. Lots of women around here travel with large dogs. Good companion and they can be a good protector.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks for the advice people, Thats interesting to hear about men feeling euphoria outdoors. hmmm.

Perhaps to start off, I should go somewhere closer to home for one night. I am closer to the lake district. Or perhaps a camping group is a good idea, I don't mind going with men so long as I'm not the only woman.

Hoodo:
Ive actually Hiked more in florida than I have in England. You'll be shocked if I say this , especially as Im inquiring about saftey, but a few years back I flew off to america for 3 months to live with a guy off the internet. I spent most of my time hiking and bird watching. We went to the Ocala forest. We never once met another soul whislt hiking there, but we brought an axe for saftey, though unfortunately even this isnt much use, 3 weeks after we last hiked in the forest, a male and female hiking couple were murdered in the same area of the forest by a man with a shotgun. The murders have left a bit of a strong impression of me and I actually feel less safe hiking in england than I did in florida.

I have a dog but I'm afraid she is a chihuahua. :p

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I'd say just get out there and enjoy yourself. The chances of you bumping into some horrible git get slimmer the further you get away from "civilisation."

As for self defence, one of the handbag sized hair spray aerosols is a good pocket sized thing to carry. As a lady you automatically have a reason to carry it to keep your barnet in order and a good spray in the eyes/nose/mouth of any male dumb enough to have a go at you will have him staggering about and choking for more than long enough for you to leg it or raise the alarm!

......... a small aerosol can of Ralgex / Deep Heat works even better!

Aside from that, a good walking pole or walking stick can be useful - I never leave home without one!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks for the advice people, Thats interesting to hear about men feeling euphoria outdoors. hmmm.

Perhaps to start off, I should go somewhere closer to home for one night. I am closer to the lake district. Or perhaps a camping group is a good idea, I don't mind going with men so long as I'm not the only woman.

Hoodo:
Ive actually Hiked more in florida than I have in England. You'll be shocked if I say this , especially as Im inquiring about saftey, but a few years back I flew off to america for 3 months to live with a guy off the internet. I spent most of my time hiking and bird watching. We went to the Ocala forest. We never once met another soul whislt hiking there, but we brought an axe for saftey, though unfortunately even this isnt much use, 3 weeks after we last hiked in the forest, a male and female hiking couple were murdered in the same area of the forest by a man with a shotgun. The murders have left a bit of a strong impression of me and I actually feel less safe hiking in england than I did in florida.

I have a dog but I'm afraid she is a chihuahua. :p

I think I heard about those murders down in Florida. Bad stuff.

I think there is always strength in numbers. When you are alone, though, you become more of a target. We've had quite an increase in crime here against people in the outoors. I guess criminals are branching out.

Yer gonna need a bigger dog...:D And BTW, yes I am rather shocked that you ran off with some guy you met on the Internet. That happens a lot here, especially to younger folks who are preyed on by sexual predators. Quite a few unhappy endings.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Carry a cane or walking stick (learn how to use it defensively), pepper spray, and/or a dog.

TWe never once met another soul whislt hiking there, but we brought an axe for saftey,

Yer gonna need a bigger dog...

:( the underlying assumption that there are loads of bad folk out there and you are going to need to defend yourself deeply saddens me. IT'S NOT TRUE! If you go out with that attitude you will feel anxious and not enjoy yourself. Switch off the TV, avoid the news, get out in the countryside and enjoy yourself... the vast majority of people you'll meet will simply be doing the same. Remember the single most dangerous thing you'll do on your trip is to get in your car; seven people die on the roads every day.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, yes.

And stop reading womens magazines which perpetuate urban legends as saftey warnings.

(a very bad thing IMHO)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My workshop is at the start of the Penine way. I have watched folk walking past for 10 years, big walking groups, duke of Edinburgh award kids, couples and singles of both sexes. I reckon in the last 10 years I must have seen many thousands of single women set off up that path enjoying the outdoors in a way you simply can not if you are in a group (nothing against group walking it's simply a different experience more like going to the pub). In Those 10 years there has not been a single reported "incident". There have been a good number of folk killed on the local roads during that time, a few sad suicides, several nasty work accidents. The sad thing is that the fear drummed up by the media stop folk from doing the safe stuff. Kids are statistically far safer on outdoor activity courses than at home or school, I am sure you stand far more chance of being abducted outside your front door than camping in the lakes and probably more chance of winning the lottery than either.

I spent a year as a young male hitching around the US, I had to fend off some unwanted attention but most folk would believe that putting yourself in cars with thousands of random Americans would be certain nasty death, instead I met lots of wonderful generous folk. How do you overcome fear of hiking in England? Perhaps what you suggest is a good idea, a few days or weekend trips to the lakes. The more you do it and find its actually OK the more safe you feel. The other thing is start to question the media, next time they start a shock horror "someone has been abducted by a stranger" story don't believe it, give it a week and it will come out that it was actually not a random stranger but an uncle/ step dad/ family friend. Then think 3000 deaths a year on the roads, nearly 10 a day, every day. A plane full every 3 weeks, that is genuine risk, if you feel safe in a car you are many, many times safer walking alone in the countryside.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
:( the underlying assumption that there are loads of bad folk out there and you are going to need to defend yourself deeply saddens me. IT'S NOT TRUE! If you go out with that attitude you will feel anxious and not enjoy yourself. Switch off the TV, avoid the news, get out in the countryside and enjoy yourself... the vast majority of people you'll meet will simply be doing the same. Remember the single most dangerous thing you'll do on your trip is to get in your car; seven people die on the roads every day.

I would dispute the presumption that just because you prepare for the worst case scenario when you are out in the wilds, you somehow won't enjoy yourself. That's like saying if you put your seatbelt on when you drive, you won't enjoy driving. That was actually a common complaint when seat belts first came out.

H

He' s left the building

I'd agree with the last few posts (by DoctorSpoon, Tengu and Robin Wood)

If you ignore the media hype and look at the facts, you are much more likely to be killed in your car, or at home by a friend/family member or even your GP*

Thus providing some excuses for being in the woods alone (just drive carefully to get there!!!)

*only if your GP was the infamous Dr Shipman, I don't want to tar them all with the same brush and upset any doctors out there!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would dispute the presumption that just because you prepare for the worst case scenario when you are out in the wilds, you somehow won't enjoy yourself. That's like saying if you put your seatbelt on when you drive, you won't enjoy driving. That was actually a common complaint when seat belts first came out.
I actually don't enjoy driving because I know my chances of being killed or seriously injured are high; wearing a seatbelt is proven to reduce that risk a bit so it is a worthwhile thing to do and I do it as it makes me feel safer. I enjoy walking on my own in the countryside because I know my chances of being killed or seriously injured are very low indeed. Carrying some form of self defence would lessen my enjoyment because it would be a constant reminder that there is a very slim chance that someone might attack me.

There's maybe an underlying issue here of do we take greater risks because we feel safer? Maybe I'd walk a little further along the footpath with that rather odd man, safe in the knowledge I've got a pepper spray in my pocket if he attacks me. Maybe I'd find he's not so odd after all and we'd become friends. No, I think I'd rather go unarmed and trust my own judgment of human nature.

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
My beloved dog and me have roamed Scandinavia, Germany and a few other countries for years. We camped for months at a time in real secluded areas and I never felt unsafe.
He sadly died last wednesday ( a big black alsatian) and I feel unsafe to go out camping alone in deserted areas now.
I think it is unrealistic to reason that the chance of getting a car accident is higher than meeting a stranger with bad intentions while out and about. By sheer numbers alone there are more cars than lonesome campers out there so the odds are there. The truth is that there are predators and a single female in a remote spot is vulnerable. If you get a caraccident you could get help quickly, who will hear you far away from everything?
As a female I will hesitate to camp alone off campinggrounds.

Carrying some form of self defence would lessen my enjoyment because it would be a constant reminder that there is a very slim chance that someone might attack me.
Huh? The chance of my house burning down is very slim too but I've still got an insurance. To each his/her own but my enjoyment would be hightened to know I can roam freely and have some mean of selfdefence. I'm not gonna stick my head in the sand and say chances are slim. The chance to be harrassed is not that slim for a single woman, even on a campingground, let alone in the wild.

Can you tell I've worked with raped women for a couple of years?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I walk and wander alone, but no longer camp solitary......but then I have a group of female friends who share my interests and we look on a camp out as a chance to get some work and networking done :eek:

I agree with everything Dr Spoon, Robin Wood and Tengu have said; our press plays up the screaming banner headlines but the actual statistics show that there is virtually no trouble.

I would advise picking your area carefully, and certainly for your first few forays maybe make sure you have good mobile phone reception, and to camp discretely but that's really it. Might plan to just walk the area a couple of times at first, get a feel for the place and the people around; stay until dark, do some stargazing, have a brew up.

If you think your pet your pet would enjoy the outing, why not take her too ? Nippy little blighters chihuahuas :D

I wouldn't take weapons in the UK; threaten someone here and they won't back down, they'll see it as a challenge and are more likely to act accordingly.
A good walking stick is an awfully useful tool though, handy in sticky places :rolleyes:

Hope you have a great time out.

atb,
Toddy

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'm not the prettiest pearl on the necklace and even I have been harassed before while out alone. It's only happened a couple of times but it has made me nervous going out alone. I'll take a dog if I can and a walking stick is both practical and psychological. I have a few other items that can double up as weapons as well. I enjoy the countryside a lot more knowing that I can protect myself if I need to. I'd rather have them there and not need them than not have them and need them.

I agree that you are more likely to be harassed in town than in a field in the middle of nowhere, but that's due to numbers.
The unfortunate reality of the matter is that the harasser would feel more comfortable harassing a lone female in the middle of nowhere than in town.
They tend to have more courage when there is no one else about, they think they can get away with it :(

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
some mixed messages I'm getting. sounds like some women here have had trouble, so its best I take heed from other peoples stories. I was going to get pepper spary, but its illegal. I think its rediculous that its illegal, it doesnt even do damage. All a woman can carry is a can of staining paint which marks their attacker and is advertised as "kind to eyes and skin" If someone attacked me Id like to spray them with something that scarred them for life and blinded them to be honest :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE