How long does water stay 'fresh' in the bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Short question, how long would you trust tap or shop bought bottled water for at this time of year once it has been opened?

The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if I can leave a bottle hidden in the woods for a few days to save me lugging it along!

Leo

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have left a 25liter jerry can of tap water for a week or so at a stop off when exploring a forest in Scotland I hadn't been too before, just dipping into it every few days, left out of sunlight with a good seal in the lid, you can always treat it if your not sure, treat like a stagnant pond,

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Check the side of the screw cap or base of the bottle, it will usually have a use-by date.

Kept in a cool dark place it will last for years, a 25ltr jerry can with a few drops of household bleach in it will last a fair while as well.

Not sure if British Reds post on science of water covers it?

Might find some relevent info here:-

http://www.finewaters.com/Newsletter/June_2006/Shelf_Live_of_Bottled_Water.asp

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you drink directly from the bottle then 12 hours, if not, 2 days once the bottle has been opened, that's the official answer..............Tap water will keep longer because of the chlorine,.. longer than 3 days I would heat/ treat it before drinking, although you would only risk & slight digestive upset if it was contaminated.........

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most of the bugs in water that might cause harm to a human in large doses will die if the water is kept in the dark. So if it's kept in the dark it will become almost sterile. Kept in the dark, in good containers and not near a source of pollution (most plastic containers will permit many chemicals to migrate through them) then drinkable water will stay drinkable more or less indefinitely. There's a good reason that many of the water bottles you see aren't transparent.

Light will allow green algae to grow in water unless it was sterile to start with which is probably difficult to achieve. Puritabs, chlorine etc. will do that but may leave a nasty taste.

I keep 2 litre PET bottles full of water in the loft just in case we lose the supply. There are fifty or so up there at the moment. Many of them have been there for years.

Later on today I'll get one down for you and drink it. :)

Not all tap water in the UK is treated with chlorine. A couple of years ago, when staff at work complained of a bicarbonate flavour in the water at work in Derbyshire, I asked about it at our water supplier's technical department. They said they pump it out of the ground, put it straight in the pipe and that's it. No chlorine, no anything. Just water straight out of the boreholes. They had no idea what was causing the strange taste in the water. Scary.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
I store water in the car for several months over the winter (in a light proof container), I put a silver spoon in with it as an anti microbial (I'd read somewhere that in the old west they put a silver dollar in their canteens to keep their water from turning foul) You need to remember its there though:)

I believe that bottled water may have a higher bug count than tap water because its not as tightly regulated

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you drink directly from the bottle then 12 hours, if not, 2 days once the bottle has been opened, that's the official answer..............Tap water will keep longer because of the chlorine,.. longer than 3 days I would heat/ treat it before drinking, although you would only risk & slight digestive upset if it was contaminated.........

12 hours....water goes off 12 hours after opening......please tell me your joking

Tap water will keep days, don't worry too much. Now just to confuse things, you can use clear bottles in sunlight to sterilise water.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
12 hours....water goes off 12 hours after opening......please tell me your joking

Tap water will keep days, don't worry too much. Now just to confuse things, you can use clear bottles in sunlight to sterilise water.[/QUOTE

I did say if you drink directly from the bottle, mouths are one of the best vectors for introducing things like.bacteria, cells (dead & alive) & food particules in decomposition into your bottle,

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks guys. So tap water re-filled into a 5l container could confidently left for a week if used in a kelly kettle for teas etc.

Sounds good.

If you're boiling it for teas (or anything else) then it's irrelevant. You're sterilizing it as you use it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...a 25ltr jerry can with a few drops of household bleach in it will last a fair while as well...

Household bleach will sterilize water but it doesn't KEEP it sterilized. The bleach itself breaks down after a while. Usually only days; faster if exposed to sunlight (which is ironic since sunlight has its own bleaching effect) After that the water is still pure until exposed to a new contaminant.

BTW. Only use plain, unscented household bleach.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
12 hours mouth bacteria or not, is laughable, more H&S gone mad. I might worry after a few days.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sterilize-Water-With-Sunlight so if you've had a swig best leave in the sun.

Sunlight has a bleaching effect as I stated in another post but....ordinarily, just leaving water in the sun will only raise it to the temps where bacteria thrive (between 40F and 212F.

But I agree 12 hours is unrealisticly short (unless there is some extraordinary bacteria present.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Bottled water goes off quick when I have a swig then leave it in my van in warm weather. A day or two later it can start to stink! Colder weather and the same half drunk bottle can stay good over a week.

Tap water stays good a lot longer.

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE