How I make Sporrans - Video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi BCUK,

Whilst working on a recent sporran commission, I decided to film the whole process out of curiosity (although I did forget to film some small steps such as oiling and waterproofing). This was not intended as a tutorial or how-to, as there are plenty of those around and the pattern is nothing new, I have just tweaked it to my own tastes. This is simply to show my process, and how much work goes into a single pouch. Anyway I hope you enjoy it :)

[video=youtube;wqxwa5F30U8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxwa5F30U8[/video]

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for posting that up Hamish, great video. I don't think people realise just how much time and effort goes into making these things. My own small efforts in leather working have given me an appreciation of yours, and all the other makers hard work.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Thank you for sharing Hamish. Every time these videos show us three things
- that your skills are amazing
- that your worj is excellent
- that you are truly generous in sharing your experience and knowledge.

thank you very much for all

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A great video!
You work in a much neater "work station" than I do:)
I recognise a lot of the techniques from my own work - but you carry things further than I do with the carving and thonging etc - and I thought watching the sewing would be tedious ... but the great choice of music carried me through that and (unusually for me) I did not skip ahead :)
Great video, great skills and great music (again!)
Keep it up!

Dreadhead

Thanks for all the kind replies folks! :)

Regarding the comments about sharing the knowledge, well, that's what we are all on the forum for after all :) and besides, it's one thing to watch how I do it, but in the video i'm not really explaining how or why I do things these ways, or things to avoid. I have courses for that ;)

Dreadhead

A great video!
You work in a much neater "work station" than I do:)
I recognise a lot of the techniques from my own work - but you carry things further than I do with the carving and thonging etc - and I thought watching the sewing would be tedious ... but the great choice of music carried me through that and (unusually for me) I did not skip ahead :)
Great video, great skills and great music (again!)
Keep it up!

I'm rather fastidious when it comes to keeping my workshop clear of clutter, though for this video I did just swipe everything to one side out of the frame ;)
And thank you, can't go wrong with a bit of Julie Fowlis :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Must've missed this the first time round... excellent video Hamish, and a great looking end product.

Have to say though... I don't think my wife is impressed with you and she actually said you should not encourage me at all... although she does have a lounge full of leather, leather working tools and small foldout tables dotted around that act as trip hazards for everyone who enters! I blame you regularly! :p

Dreadhead

Must've missed this the first time round... excellent video Hamish, and a great looking end product.

Have to say though... I don't think my wife is impressed with you and she actually said you should not encourage me at all... although she does have a lounge full of leather, leather working tools and small foldout tables dotted around that act as trip hazards for everyone who enters! I blame you regularly! :p

Thanks mate :) leatherworking is highly addictive, perhaps I should have warned you ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE