How high should your lavvu pole frame be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The amazing thing about leaving lavvu poles in place is that the shelter automatically adapts itself in summer and winter. In winter as the ground gets covered with snow, the surface area gets smaller of course (it's a cone...)

So then you have less space you have to heat, you can carry less canvas AND...the poles are bombproof because they go all the way down to the ground...

In summer, you have more space, (you will probably have more people there in summer), and it is nice and cool because the lavvu is so high...

So to the question - how high should my lavvu be? - think about how much snow is likely to fall and how much space you will need for a small team in winter...

Easy.

10631204_10203891565963638_3850285315371503493_o.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I should think you'd want to make as big as possible with the canvas sheets you have available or are prepared to carry

As long as it's storm worthy and has walls steep enough to shed snow then I'd go big, if you spend a lot of time in there in winter you might be glad of the extra space.

I should think you'd want to make as big as possible with the canvas sheets you have available or are prepared to carry

As long as it's storm worthy and has walls steep enough to shed snow then I'd go big, if you spend a lot of time in there in winter you might be glad of the extra space.

You need to be able to life the poles, and of course carry the canvas... as you say...

That big summer space is a heck of a lot of canvas to carry.... smaller teams in winter.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
It Depends on its size. Big lavvu, long poles.......
But historically the lavvu was fairly low. Wind is not uncommon up here:).

nggshow.php

Most winter lavvu sites was on a "hill top". One would believe that one should seek a Place out of the Wind, but the fact that those Places have little snow in Winter was more important.
Thus the poles are as long in Winter as in summer and the amount of canvas was also the same.

It Depends on its size. Big lavvu, long poles.......
But historically the lavvu was fairly low. Wind is not uncommon up here:).

nggshow.php

Most winter lavvu sites was on a "hill top". One would believe that one should seek a Place out of the Wind, but the fact that those Places have little snow in Winter was more important.
Thus the poles are as long in Winter as in summer and the amount of canvas was also the same.

Yes we are on a hill top here. Out of the Wind. South facing. So the snow blows away to the side.

We leave the poles in place as was done at a viste....

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE