How do I stop getting bit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Just had a overnight camp in the lakes, counted 25 bites from our flying friends, SWMBO none.
Why me? What makes certain people prone to being eaten alive, I was doused in Avon skin so soft, also tried a life adventure strong deet formular, with no sucess. Ordered some midge repel of here, so will try that when it arrives. Any ideas why I am thier "All you can eat buffet", this happens every time I go, am I destined to live under a bug net.......
Please help
A very sore individual
Steve

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Loch Lomond in mid summer is midge central. No amount of bug repellent seems to work. Once when I was there I took to wearing a head net for some relief. Some new arrivals at the camp site laughed at me.

They didn't laugh for long. Their looks turned from amusement to envy.

As an aside it was long held in my family that Shoo! was the best insect repellent for midges, although it still wasn't perfect. I had a look online and can't seem to find it - perhaps it is no longer made?

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Give the "Stupidly simple midge repellent" a try.

My theory on some people not getting bitten is that they do actually get bit,, they just dont react to the bite so dont notice.

Covering up is definitely the way to go. Think light and and long.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have one son who gets eaten alive, while his brother seems to be totally immune :dunno:
Me ? I get eaten by every damned thing that's after blood :(

The best present :D :cool: Beaton's midgie jacket :)
http://www.midgejacket.co.uk/jackets.html

Though that said, the Stupidly Simple stuff is still working for me here. I haven't had a cleg bite at all this Summer, and they're certainly about. Even the midgies are giving me a body swerve with the ointment on me.

cheers,
M

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
What dwardo says is true. If you don't scratch it it doesn't itch, so you don't notice it. However I can never control myself from scratching it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to disagree Niels; I have frequently been bitten by clegs and midiges or berrybugs and not noticed until the swelling and itching got my attention. I take anti histamines and anti inflammatories asap, and I smother the bite in cream that's supposed to stop the itching too. The blasted things still swell up, still go red hot, immobilise joints, etc.,

I do agree that scratching makes it very much worse though.

cheers,
M

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
For years, every summer I have been eaten alive and drained by midge's and cleggs. I was always told that they didn't like smoke, so tried to have a cig smouldering away 99% of the time they were about. But last year I had stopped smoking just before summer. I never got one bit at all throughout the summer period by anything! I started smoking again last winter, and so far this year, I have been devoured by the little swines every time I go out and it's not windy. I think they have developed a nicotine dependency due to all the nicotine contaminated blood they have sucked in so seem to target smokers more. That's my theory anyway, but at least it gives me a reason for another crack at quitting!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I smoke like a chimney. Unfiltered roll ups too. Never been bitten in my life :)

For years, every summer I have been eaten alive and drained by midge's and cleggs. I was always told that they didn't like smoke, so tried to have a cig smouldering away 99% of the time they were about. But last year I had stopped smoking just before summer. I never got one bit at all throughout the summer period by anything! I started smoking again last winter, and so far this year, I have been devoured by the little swines every time I go out and it's not windy. I think they have developed a nicotine dependency due to all the nicotine contaminated blood they have sucked in so seem to target smokers more. That's my theory anyway, but at least it gives me a reason for another crack at quitting!

As above, never been bit, drink loads of sweet coffee and drink lots of rum and vodka.

I believe it is what is in your sweat. If you eat loads of sugar/coffee/alcohol then they will find you more attractive. Just like women right?

My theory - Body/blood PH. Slight acidic they leave you alone, slightly alkaline, they will munch you. :) Either that or nature likes you... or it doesn't :D

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
stop baisting yourself in marinades, as a first thought, and try some other mozzie rep, sprays wipes and hard sticks are avaliable. Mozzie rep clothing, or wash some into the clothing you have.

Secondly I have a sun hat with a headnet to go over it, does alot for the ones round your head and neck.

They are attracted to co2 and damp so windless marshes are bad. Stay away from the close vercinity of damp places. Also an electric midge killer sounds the sort of thing for people like you, unlike chemical ones(and fags for that matter) the wind does not affect them, but it won't kill wampires.

Edit.

The hat with the headnet keeps the net off your face(as well as the sun)and stops you looking like a bank robber !

Last edited:

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Got some on order, it's got some good reviews so far, fingers crossed........
:)

My theory on some people not getting bitten is that they do actually get bit,, they just dont react to the bite so dont notice.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
I smoke like a chimney. Unfiltered roll ups too. Never been bitten in my life :)

As above, never been bit, drink loads of sweet coffee and drink lots of rum and vodka.

My theory - Body/blood PH. Slight acidic they leave you alone, slightly alkaline, they will munch you. :) Either that or nature likes you... or it doesn't :D

Jammy sod! The only other thing that I could possibly use to explain why they left me alone last year is that I was eating mackerel and an orange every day (I was on a cholesterol reducing mission as well as giving up the fags). Maybe the orange swung it in my favour then? I still eat oranges, just not every day like last year so perhaps you need to keep a certain level in your system to be effective? I have been known to rub the peel all over my exposed skin only to be bitten ten minutes later. I shall go and buy some oranges and see how things are in a week or two....

PS, about the garlic. I eat masses and masses of the stuff. I eat it roasted, fried and raw almost daily. If a recipe asks for 3 cloves, I chuck a whole bulb in! I eat it all year round but they don't seem to care at all.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland

Think this is pretty true.
If my gf gets bitten that area swells up and goes really itchy and sore. If I get bitten its just a 'normal' bite. I do take antihistamines every day for hayfever though.

I have tried plenty of repellents, currently trying the stupidly simple from Woodstock. (Havent had to use much yet...)

Seems to me that different repellents work on different areas at different times of year.

Sent from my boggy hole using tapatalk 2

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I don't smoke, don't have a sweet tooth, don't drink, don't smell of BO or bad breath, don't eat much garlic, do eat marmite, and I get bitten regardless. I do have thin skin, I am inclined to run warmish and I do bleed easily.

I suspect that it's the warm blood near the skin that attracts the blighters, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I remember spending a few days in Australia with someone who said he never gets bitten. Oddly, he was covered in mosquito bites. Perhaps he just wasn't irritated by them. You only notice you've been bitten when it's annoying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE