Horse chestnuts ('conkers'!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Does anyone know if conkers can be used as a food source (with preparation)? In their raw state I believe they are poisonous, which is a shame when they appear in such abundance - especially this year.

On the same subject - does anyone have any other use for this tree? I've used the leaves to produce a 'soap' and I've come across references to Native Americans using 'Buckeye' (this species ? or another closely related one?) as a fish poison. The high levels of saponins ('soaps') within the plant are released into streams / pools to bring the fish to the surface for easier spearing. Anyone ever tried this?!

Oh well - back to me game of conkers!!! :-?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There are a couple of methods written about leeching the toxins out of the conkers but they are all over 100 years out of date. .... so maybe if anyone has any more up to date info......
It has been used in the past to prevent sunburn (aesculin one of the toxins aids this) but many people have bad skin reactions to it.
I know a couple of beer makers that use a few flowering buds in with their hops.... but thats about it :cry:

Ed

S

sez

There's saponin in Horse Chestnut? Wow, I didn't know that. How do you use it?

Sez

Steve

Oct 11, 2003
Just pick a few leaves, crush them in your hands and add a little water. Rub this together, and you will get a slippery lather produced. I believe it is also midly antiseptic

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE