Homemade woodgas stove, flatbread and coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
thought i put up a few pictures of what ive been doing lately.

first off i made a stove, im pretty please with it, it works well. its a little rough but as a first attempt im happy. its a costa coffee tin (of which i have 3 that were given to me full and sealed as they were 3 days out of date, remember folks, you dont get if you dont ask) and a soup tin inside. the coffee tins came with plastic lids which im using of of one on top, one on bottom to keep it all together. i have a clean paint tin which ill make a bigger one with for cooking with a wok on at some point for family car camping type stuff

so i decided to use my fantastic new stove to make some bread in the garden(note, gravelled area NOT garden :() this didnt go so well as clever me lit the stove then realised i hadnt made the bread mix, went in, made mix came out, wooden 'slab' was on fire, must admit i did laugh.

anyway, i then decided the stove worked and i could cook the bread on the hob inside. splash of oil in the pan and it came out ok. first taste i thought it was a bit meh, but it was tasty then i dipped it in melted butter and it totally changed it, its lush! so im having chilli and flat bread for tea

then i thought id try and make a 'coffee bag' with all that free coffee i got so i could have nice coffee in the morning while in the wilds.

turns out these filter papers arnt that strong and not meant for dunking. to be fair, it wasnt very good anyway and it was very weak

so i thought id just lay it over the top of the cup and slowly pour the water through, which worked well even if it did take about 8 mins to do 1 cup. im not sure im happy with this method, i mean it worked but it took ages. id like to invent some way of making decent coffee in the woods that is lightweight and or flat packs. anyone know where i can get proper tea bag paper from? maybe thats the answer

thanks for reading

edit: bread mix was 200g seed and grain wholemeal flour, 200g plain flour, 100g milk powder, 2 teaspoons of salt and 20g of baking soda (i added this so i can hopefully use it for bannock and flat breads though i have just totally guessed the proportions

Last edited:

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
You can pick tea bag paper up cheap on ebay or amazon, theres posher too no doubt. Cheers for sharing the pics, I really like the stove.
Brady

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE