Homebase - Lantern and Emergency Lighting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Picked up a couple of items from Homebase lately ( 31/01/2017 ) and I've been giving them a trial for the last few days.

The First are these emergency lights which come on and illuminate in the event of a power outage , they also sit in a holster and can be removed and used as a direct Torch type lighting source via the top mounted LED.

Can also act as a motion sensor. Comes in Blue . Pink and White.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/nightguard-light---blue-375066

Also picked up one of the following ( although doesn't seem to appear on their website )

Useful little rechargeable ( via USB ) Lantern Torch - features two brightness levels , SOS function , charge indicator and the ability to draw charge from the battery for other things via a USB out port.

Magnetic and Hooked base. Good for Car use I'm thinking and you can keep the battery topped up from the attached wrap around USB cable if you plug it into a dashboard socket.

Its the size of a Can of Coke.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/eiger-grey-rechargable-led-spotlight-and-lantern-combo_p4410707

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Picked up a couple of items from Homebase lately ( 31/01/2017 ) and I've been giving them a trial for the last few days.

Que???

Fawlty-Towers.jpg

The lights/sensors look useful though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sayyyy whatttttttttttttttttttt!!!

Not following mate , Have I made a faux pas?

###edit - sorry I meant they are in stock in Homebase as of today ( 31st) but I've had them for the last week or so. Hope that clears it up.

Que???

Fawlty-Towers.jpg

The lights/sensors look useful though.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hope this is of use to someone.

They do indeed look useful ~ any idea whether they're indoors only?

Sayyyy whatttttttttttttttttttt!!! >>>snipped<<<

###edit - sorry I meant they are in stock in Homebase as of today ( 31st) but I've had them for the last week or so. Hope that clears it up.

It does ~ though I had wondered whether you'd hit the '3' in error ... or had gained access to the T.A.R.D.I.S ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
;)
The Lantern?

Either, or ;)

The lantern's USB connection is open to the elements, I wouldn't trust it.

The sensor lights (first link) have a seam or two and appear to have an opening at the front ~ but that's not to say that the seams aren't waterproof or that the opening isn't backed with protective and sealed membrane ...

:D

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Either, or ;)

The lantern's USB connection is open to the elements, I wouldn't trust it.

The sensor lights (first link) have a seam or two and appear to have an opening at the front ~ but that's not to say that the seams aren't waterproof or that the opening isn't backed with protective and sealed membrane ...

:D

To be honest I wouldn't trust either of them outside for the money I paid. Don't think many people have open sockets outside anyway......:rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
To be honest I wouldn't trust either of them outside for the money I paid. Don't think many people have open sockets outside anyway......:rolleyes:

Ah, the info in the link to the sensor mentions that 'fixings' are included and that they run on rechargeable batteries ~ but not, that I saw, that you need to plug into a mains circuit ;) .

Otherwise they'd show potential for in the corner 'under the eaves' and near the shed door ...

I was looking at those lights in homebase last Friday. I had a house clearance job in a dark unpowered house. I was originally going to hire some site lights then thought about buying some rechargeable led lights. I looked at the eiger range at home base but none of them gave enough hours of light. They have some 'hood' lights for mechanics and a similar tripod mounted light which at best give 6 hours of light. Anyway after deciding on a couple of rechargeable eiger lights I noticed a rack end deal on some Nebo Fat Larry cob lights at £10 each so I got 3. They run 3x AA and give 4.5 hours at 400 lm or 15 hours at 220 lm. I already have some aldi cob lights so have 6 altogether which has worked great. These have worked for me and for £10
the Nebo lights seem really good lights. Not knocking the eiger lights but happy with my purchase.

Sent from my battle droid.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If by "open sockets" you mean power points, Canadian houses are normally fitted with a duplex (2) on both the street side and the garden side. Very convenient.

McBride is at the end of a 500mile/800km power line. Anything goes wrong, we get cut off.

People here have all sorts of battery-driven emergency lighting. I have one which I keep in the bathroom, a room easily found in total darkness.
Take a look at the Lanterna 3-stage Touch Wireless Lamp = Lee Valley #GL102. All I have to do is find it and touch the top.
Sort of shaped like a mushroom. Runs on 3 x AA I suppose I could use rechargables. Stands about 9" tall and weighs 400g.
I have no idea what the run time is. I use it to find everything else that I want to turn on or light.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If by "open sockets" you mean power points, Canadian houses are normally fitted with a duplex (2) on both the street side and the garden side. Very convenient.

McBride is at the end of a 500mile/800km power line. Anything goes wrong, we get cut off.

People here have all sorts of battery-driven emergency lighting. I have one which I keep in the bathroom, a room easily found in total darkness.
Take a look at the Lanterna 3-stage Touch Wireless Lamp = Lee Valley #GL102. All I have to do is find it and touch the top.
Sort of shaped like a mushroom. Runs on 3 x AA I suppose I could use rechargables. Stands about 9" tall and weighs 400g.
I have no idea what the run time is. I use it to find everything else that I want to turn on or light.

Yeah. That sounds great.

If you're in Canada. :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Many of these type lights are available very cheaply through the Chinese online supermarkets. Aliexpress stock many different versions, the ones like yours Tee Dee can be had for around $7.50 shipped.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Lanterna is Chinese-made. fulcrumproducts.com PO Box 69035 Portland, OR 97239
So it's an American import and I can't believe exclusive to Lee Valley whatsoever.
At least look at it so you see the size/shape that I find really useful.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Same problems here with power outtages ( touch wood - last one 3 months ago)
We keep a flashlight in the bedroom and a bag of tealights in the dining room.

We had a couple of LED lanterns, but one broke when the batteries leaked and the other one I use when working under the cars.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That Lanterna was a gift from my kids, they know what I have put up with. As long as I can find it, touch it to turn on,
then I can make my way down to the solar power system, get the inverter going and there's juice for 8+ hours.
Candles and a 2-burner bottle stove to cook on, I'll be OK. I can point an 8W LED light at the ceiling, lights up 1/2 the house.

I hope that everybody can find these sorts of lights,
they sure cut down on the physical risks of stumbling around in the total dark.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My favourite is when wife leaves the extended vacuum cable with thevwallplug end on the floor between the bedroom and toilet.
Wakes me up for sure when I step on it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nope. Ice cold fresh cat yak on the bed side mat. Step in it, barefoot at 3AM. If you wanted to be on autopilot, forget it.

Lights: I have several with slim glass and metal framings. Touch lights, all of them.
No nonsense with on/off switches, Capacitative coupling, just reach over and the slightest brush of your hand
is all the control effort you need.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I was looking at those lights in homebase last Friday. I had a house clearance job in a dark unpowered house. I was originally going to hire some site lights then thought about buying some rechargeable led lights. I looked at the eiger range at home base but none of them gave enough hours of light. They have some 'hood' lights for mechanics and a similar tripod mounted light which at best give 6 hours of light. Anyway after deciding on a couple of rechargeable eiger lights I noticed a rack end deal on some Nebo Fat Larry cob lights at £10 each so I got 3. They run 3x AA and give 4.5 hours at 400 lm or 15 hours at 220 lm. I already have some aldi cob lights so have 6 altogether which has worked great. These have worked for me and for £10
the Nebo lights seem really good lights. Not knocking the eiger lights but happy with my purchase.

Sent from my battle droid.

Nipped into Milngavie homebase yesterday, Nebo Fat Larry cob lights are really bright. Ten pounds well spent, thanks for the steer(suggestion).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE