Home made adze for bowl carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I really fancied one of the GF adzes but can's afford one so had a go at making one from a short section of scaffolding pole and a bit of oak branch.

adze1-1.jpg

adze2-2.jpg

adze3-1.jpg

I chopped it out roughly with an angle grinder and a bench wheel.. hammered out the sides a bit and drilled a few holes. Its held on with a bolt, and I haven't heat treated it as I'm not sure what you can do with the metal scaffolding poles are made of, I'm assuming its a mildish steel, but it worked ok for roughing out a bowl, took about 10 mins... I need to practice a bit more and need to make one of those clamps for holding the bowl, but so far I'm pleased with it...

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great idea, i wonder if there is some tool steel as tube that might do the job.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is a great idea, thanks for sharing it, perhaps I will make something like it somewhere in the near future ** and he adds another project to his already endless project list**

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
very neat idea, if you have longer pieces of scaffolding pipe, then bend it at 90 degrees and then do the rest as above you will have a very smooth handle, and less work, how is the grind and what is the hardness of the front cutting bit. well done, cheers the interceptor boy.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
very neat idea, if you have longer pieces of scaffolding pipe, then bend it at 90 degrees and then do the rest as above you will have a very smooth handle, and less work, how is the grind and what is the hardness of the front cutting bit. well done, cheers the interceptor boy.

I tried to follow the grind of the original base on a phot and a brief look at one at a meet. I think it's pretty soft, and I will have a go at heat treating to see if I can harden up the edge, probably try it on the off cut first.
thanks for the replies and comments...

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Good elth :thumbup: tiptop bit of improvisation. Be carful when heat treating. If the pole is galvanized ? Make sure your in a well vented environment. Cold metal poisoning is not reyt nice . Even a scratch can bring it on. Not everyone is susceptible to its worst symptoms though.

sent using my sausage thumb

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
That's a good tip about the galvanising, I'll be cautious....
ill look out for a lump of 01 steel to give it a go with Mark 2 adze

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
That's a good tip about the galvanising, I'll be cautious....
ill look out for a lump of 01 steel to give it a go with Mark 2 adze

:thumbup: I only speak through experiences from my own mistake....I did push my luck in my demolition years....

sent using my sausage thumb

Nov 9, 2010
Norfolk
Pointless trying to harden scaffold tube as you alluded to it is mild steel but what you could try is case hardening of the cutting edge using casenit try google lots of info

John

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neatly done John :D I like that bit of practical wombling :D

Somewhere I have some casenit case hardening powder........in the bowels of the workshop somewhere. If you don't find anything soonish, I could have a burrow through ?

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE