Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's been a while since I first posted this up and since then I have seen some great threads with other peoples hobo stoves in them.

I couldn't help thinking that it would be great to have one thread with all these projects in one place to give people ideas for their own so i hope you'll forgive me for reposting this to start the ball rolling :

I have spent a lot of time tinkering to find the perfect stove kit over the years.

This is what I'm working with at the moment, It's pretty close to my ideal.

Wayland-Stove-1.jpg
Wayland-Stove-2.jpg

The whole thing fits into the hide bag to keep it from sooting up the rest of my kit and the total weight including the bag is 820g.

Wayland-Stove.jpg

If I go round clockwise from the top, it's based around a 10cm Zebra billy. I didn't like the handle as it was always in the way when packing so I replaced it with a SS wire bail which is more compact.

The lid can be used as a bowl if needed but I usually eat direct from the billy anyway.

The hobo stove is made from a SS container from Morrisons that fits nicely round the billy, there are a couple of slots cut in the sides that you can't see clearly that let the bail fittings nest better.

To make a rest for the pot I used two SS skewers that fit through holes in the top of the hobo stove. They're bent at the ends to stop them workind themselves out while you are moving the pot about.

Next is the bag which I've already mentioned, which is made from a bit of birch tanned reindeer hide. Heavier than it could be but I just like natural materials for some jobs.

To the right is the windshield from a Clikstand . This rolls up and fits inside the billy taking vitually no space at all.

Inside the windshield is a Triad titanium stove which can be used either with meths or solid fuel tablets.

The foil packages are Esbit fuel tablets. I wrap them to keep them from breaking up and also from old habit, I used to just stand a pan on three stones and burn them directly on the foil.

The brown rectangles in front are BBQ fire lighters. They are light and odourless and can be cut up. A small peice makes lighting the hobo a lot easier.

A small light chain for hanging the pot over a proper fire. The ends are cut to form hooks that can be used for adjustment.

Pine cones are great stove fuel. You can tell if they are dry because they open up and if you give them a shake to free the seeds they have done thier job and are now surplus to requirements as far as the tree is concerned. I often have a pocket full just from picking them up as I go along.

Pot handle / grip. This one is a Trangia one that I cut down to fit into the billy, which also reduces the weight a bit too. Useful when you are stirring or eating from the billy.

A folding cup, most uses are obvious but I usually put some water in it while I'm cooking in case somethink starts burning that shouldn't. It's also good for dipping your fingers in if you burn yourself.... :eek:

A film container full of matches. I use an APS type because they are oval rather than round which fits better. Sometimes I just need a light and don't want to mess about. I prefer matches because you can poke them into the fuel better.

The bowl from the Zebra billy. I used to think it was useful for eating from but as I've said I use the lid or the billy itself now.

What I've done is drill holes round the edge of the bowl and it can be used as a steamer or a strainer.

The white bit at the back is something called a "Chef Aid" which is a mini pot scraper made of plastic. Much better than a scouring pad because you can dry it before packing. Usually I use ash to clean the pan if I've got a fire but if not this little thing is dead handy.

So depending on the outing I can carry some meths, food, water and I'm pretty well sorted for any situation.

I'd be interested to see other peoples perfect kits though.

Since this post I've added a folding titanium spoon but otherwise the kit hasn't changed.

I must admit I've been working on something new for a larger set up though...
;)

Just getting my camera:D brb

This is my wayland inspired hobo.

this is the packed stove weighing in at 1.1kg including brew kit.
DSC02610.jpg

I made the pouch from what i cut off my flecktarn combat trouseres to turn them into shorts.:)

this is what is in the pouch.
DSC02611.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

From left to right. Brew kit (which is not always in there), eco flame gel, metal scourer, spoon and fork,pot holder, 4 section blow poker.

here is the same photo with the assembled poker.
DSC02615.jpg

This hobo is a tad larger than waylands utilising my old faithful 13 (ish) cm bulldog billy with lid.
I used a biscuit canister from Wilkinson for about £3. I changed the billy handle as suggested by Wayland and used the handle to make the pot supports.:)
I have quite a bit of room in this setup to add other stuff as I see fit. If out for a days walking I may just take the eco gel and the billycan and not bother with the hobo.
I sometimes travel with the brew kit inside and maybe a pack of cous cous or noodles if out for 1 night.There is usually a lighter of some kind inside aswell. the eco gel will light from a firesteel.

The eco gel can be used to boil stuff in the billy on its own or can be used as a fire lighter by dipping kindling in it to get things going a bit :)
Things keep changing though and as Waylands says it all adds to the fun of home made kit.

When car camping I take charcoal briquettes and load the hobo up for a really hot cook up.

Bodge

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Splendid timing, im currently at the 'gathering of materials' stage so am lurking round this forum, pinching ideas. Thus far i have the perfect pot and the perfect base, but unfortunately, both are exactly the same diameter (humph) so perhaps ones gonna have to be more perfect than the other.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
With mark 1 coke can stove and Camping Gaz billies...
DSC00379.jpg

All packed up, with 12cm Zebra billy...
DSC00433.jpg

All un packed with new Ti meths stove
DSC00436.jpg

In use at Middlewood...
DSC00432.jpg

The only mods I've made since these photos is to replace the solid bail arm with cycle gear cable as suggested by ... Wayland and I now carry a small container of herbs and spices.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can you check your link for the "cleaning your billy with ash" Gary

Spamel mentioned this to me once and I`d like to have a read

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I don't have a regular kit as suck - it changes depending on what i'm doing - I'll try to take some pics one day.....

I must say I do like your colapsable blow poker Bodge! did you make it yourself?

I used a blow poker for the first time this weekend (idea once more from Wayland) and I will definatly be carrying it again - yours just looks way more convenient!;)

I don't have a regular kit as suck - it changes depending on what i'm doing - I'll try to take some pics one day.....

I must say I do like your colapsable blow poker Bodge! did you make it yourself?

I used a blow poker for the first time this weekend (idea once more from Wayland) and I will definatly be carrying it again - yours just looks way more convenient!;)

Yes I made it from some lightweight alloy tent poles from a scrap tent. I also made some net spreaders for my dd travel hammock too.
DSC02339.jpg

It does restrict the flow slightly when fixed together due to the narrowing of the tube where each piece joins up but it's handy to be able to stash it with the hobo.

Bodge:)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London

Depending on how much airflow you need, if you can get old of a broken telesopic radio aerial and lever out the section beyond the length you want it may warp the last section enough to stop it dissapearing back in when collapsed, alternatively flatten it a bit with some pliers a cm or 2 from the end, giving you adequate to grasp and pull out.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Doh what a numpty I am! :eek: - my first thought was cool!, old tent poles but then I thought "ah but i'd only be able to make a Looooooong one". Just had the lightbulb moment! - you cut the poles about 6" or so frome the end that has the 'insert' for want of a better work.

Don't I feel silly - think I was trying to meke ait harder than it was :rolleyes:

good idea mate! :You_Rock_;)

Doh what a numpty I am! :eek: - my first thought was cool!, old tent poles but then I thought "ah but i'd only be able to make a Looooooong one". Just had the lightbulb moment! - you cut the poles about 6" or so frome the end that has the 'insert' for want of a better work.

Don't I feel silly - think I was trying to meke ait harder than it was :rolleyes:

good idea mate! :You_Rock_;)

Or I had a very small tent with thick poles>>>>>:D

Bodge

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Can you check your link for the "cleaning your billy with ash" Gary

Spamel mentioned this to me once and I`d like to have a read

Seems to have disapeared like the pictures in the gallery. :confused:

Here is a reprint.

Wayland said:
Washing up.

If you have a fire add some ash and water to your pan.

Ash + water = alkali + gritty silica

alkali + fat = soap

soap + gritty silica + slight scrub = clean pan.

when you have washed the pan pour the water into the fireplace, this area has already been affected by the alkali.

Rinse with water and again pour it into the fireplace.

On the next rinse you can pour the water away elsewhere but not into the water source.

All too often I have seen people washing pans directly in streams or lakes only to pour the dirty water back into the clean source.

Always throw the water well back onto the land, this way the ground can filter out the organic materials, reducing contamination of your source water.

For a final rinse use clean drinking water or boil the water in the pan.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Heres my fella.

Currently working on replacing the billy on the bottom for the stainless container

Keeping the little pan/lid on top, and putting the metal cup under a sigg bottle elsewhere.

The stainless container can fit 4 small bottles in coffee, milk, suger and Hot chock, with a handle, spork, tea/coffee strainer and tbags.

Still using the 3 hooped nails for a pot raiser for a fry pan and other bigger dia pots, and the raising pegs underneath the stove, although i want to improve on that for more stability and air flow with wood.

Trangia sits under the cup inside the sweety tin which is turned over for raising closer to cooking item and raising charcoal.

:)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Well, ive completed prototype number 001

simple affair
homebase stainless cutlery thing.
7cm x 7cm hole cut in front.
couple of tent pegs to support pot.
large stainless mug for pot, pie dish lid (that can be improved upon when i find a snug fitting billy.
plce waterbottle pouch, to house it all.

Tested it earlier on, and was pleasantly suprised how little stick was needed to get a pint of water rollin. albeit kinda fiddly in the size of fuel, and not burning my fingers, adding it

I think there might be too many holes in my drainer thing, but have no wish to drill a normal stainless container, especially not with a borrowed drill, so i think maybe a sliding internal windbreak? the holes at bottom add good draught but holes all the way up add draught where it aint wanted. letting heat n flames swirl out the side instead of up to the pot, and in little more than a gentle breeze.

Reckon i pretty much laughed at these hobo stoves when i first saw them. I always saw it that you either cook over a fire, or weigh yourself down with cookers and fuel for the convenience they offered. So saw these things as nothing more than a way to over-complicate what was already so simple. Think i might have been a tad hasty with my criticism so apologies all round :)

good kit

Paul

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Heres mine .
Can honestly say I more or less copied the Wayland design so any credit should go to the man himself .
The storage pouch is a handmade suede job . Works a treat .
P9220473.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The kit seems to be perpetual flux but this is the most recent....
IMG_2738.jpg

Billie is a Morrisons storage can modified a while ago with a bail arm (might go the wire loop soon) and lid loop.
Billie contents are a tin of tuna in mayo, a spicy peperami, a Xmas pudding (the sell-by dates are close to 18 months on some of them) and a few Oxo cubes etc.
Stove is two lengths of SS ducting, one has two bent returns which hold the edges of the other, making either a figure "8" shape or circular - pot support bars hold it all rigid and it had air inlet/exhaust holes or fuel feed holes.
Travel sweet tin holds either fire kit or brew makings - there's possibly room for a large shoe-polish tin for a fire kit in the pouch as well but it hasn't made the kit just yet.
Other bits should be self explanitory, spork, chain and so on. It all fits into the DPM pouch but my actual brew kit sits in my water bottle pouch as a separate item...
IMG_2739-1.jpg

ATB and my thanks to Wayland once more for inspiring this kit.

Ogri the trog

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I like the christmas pudding addition. Got an old one in the pantry somewhere, have to bring it to the next meet for a little luxury!

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I'm a big fan of these little stoves.

In biology there is the idea of convergent evolution; even eyes have evolved more than once!
I Dec 2006 I was trying to do a bit better than a rusty coffee tin when I came across a drainer in Woolies. I think I prompted a bit of a run on them at the time!
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2610
It is pretty much identical to the 'Weyland' stove.

I have now added the fuel feeding hole and have moved to using billies (OK a Wilko tea tin for the small one and biscuit tin for the bigger one). The bails are coat-hanger wire with bamboo. The whole kit packs up as follows: small billy in stove, stove in large billy, bails and lids inside then large lid on.

I also use an ikea steamer to act as a base and spark-guard.
brewup.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE