Hobermans technology and bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was wondering for some months if a tent could be created based on the principles of an expanding toy ball I once saw about ten years ago. Unfortunately i didnt know the name of the ball and couldnt find one anywhere. After some googling I learned it was called a Hoberman Sphere, and unfortunately after googling further it seems that Hoberman himself has abandoned his toy making and been contracted to design tents:( I guess I can at least congratulate myself on having a good idea, proof being the inventor himself figured out a tent would be more practical than a toy for the brilliance of the geometry.

Anyway, Here is Hoberman and his amazing collapsible designs (though not the tent)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsD6p7OXfA8 I can see his origami style designs could have some uses in designing other bushcraft items. such as storage containers and tarps. perhaps people can watch this video and think of other uses. thought you all might like it anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I played around with this idea years ago after buying a giant Hoberman's sphere for Son1. We found it utterly fascinating :approve:

I came to the conclusion that for it to work I needed waterproof lycra :rolleyes:

So pleased to hear he's working with tents :cool:
Thank you for posting the links, etc. :D

cheers,
M

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I played around with this idea years ago after buying a giant Hoberman's sphere for Son1. We found it utterly fascinating :approve:

I came to the conclusion that for it to work I needed waterproof lycra :rolleyes:

So pleased to hear he's working with tents :cool:
Thank you for posting the links, etc. :D

cheers,
M

Well i thought i had an original idea , turns out evewrybody else had it first!

looking at his flat pack cardboard display though, i reckon some sort of one man plastic shelter could be built using that idea. I think I might look at some origami.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

looking at his flat pack cardboard display though, i reckon some sort of one man plastic shelter could be built using that idea. I think I might look at some origami.

My sons tease me about having a black belt in origami :eek: :rolleyes: :D
I leave bits of contorted paper all over the place :) It kind of appeals to my mind somehow. I get paper for every birthday and Christmas :cool:

There are some stunning creations by the origami architects these days, and the paper engineers are turning out some entrancing pieces too :approve: :approve: Most of those who do the origami engineering though use modular origami pieces.

Geoff Forest created a geodesic dome tent using polytherm plumbing pipes for joints and hazel rods for the cross spars. It was one of the most useful tents I had ever slept /lived in. Absolutely practical, though I know he was still working on the door part.

cheers,
M

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK

Using coroplast, which would be waterproof and have good thermal properties, lightweight, strong shelters and canoes could be produced.

Coroplast is already being used to form kayaks, but in multiple component form, not unitary construction.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I bet it wouldnt be that hard to make an origami folding canoe with that material then!

we aught to all get our heads together.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Well we just have to combinew the collapsable origami with the boat making origami and make a lifesize model
I bet thats easier said that done though!!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Well we just have to combinew the collapsable origami with the boat making origami and make a lifesize model
I bet thats easier said that done though!!

This is even easier!
happy0054.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIIaaKo9n8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE