Hip flask recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
With all the nice hip flask pics on here at the moment, I thought it would be nice if we could put together all our favourite hip flask tipples...
Ill start the ball rolling with my invention that I took to a recent Meet.

Winter War Warmer
50% Finnish cloudberry liqueur
50% Good Russian vodka

Skol!

image_zpspdk3fl7i.jpeg

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Quite a few years back I was passed a hip flask at a Pheasant shoot and on remarking how good it was was told that at the Lowther Hunt it was traditional to bring an empty hip flask which was filled with their Stirrup Cup mix, which was, 50/50 Whiskey and Cherry Brandy.
cheers%20smiley_zpsqzkd2sm1.gif~original

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So far mine has had the old pulteney, glenmorangie, and Ben Nevis in it.
Its £7.50 for a double jura at local pubs round here, so you buy a pint of black sheep, and nip outside with the smokers for a wee dram....:D

I did mix a bit of water with old pulteney and it improved it a tad.

Im off all booze now though for a while...

Quite a few years back I was passed a hip flask at a Pheasant shoot and on remarking how good it was was told that at the Lowther Hunt it was traditional to bring an empty hip flask which was filled with their Stirrup Cup mix, which was, 50/50 Whiskey and Cherry Brandy.
cheers%20smiley_zpsqzkd2sm1.gif~original

So would it be bad manners to pass yours around to empty it if one inadvertently brought it already filled?

If I was going to carry a flask (a habit I think I'll not start at this point) I suppose I would fill it with my favorite tipple which is Jameson Irish whiskey - does that make me terribly unsophisticated? It would be alright because I am that. You fine people mention drinks I have never even heard of.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
An old favourite at shoots was a mix of port and either brandy or whiskey.
One thing I did object to though was folks getting bladder while in control of firearms. A wee sip was fine but never more than you'd take if going to drive as far as I was concerned.
I did make a nice cranberry whiskey which went down well but you couldn't leave it in a metal flask for long or it would eat its way out.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Brynglas

For the past 15 years or so I've made an elderberry cordial to an Italian recipe, which I fortify with either whisky or rum. It's fantastic as a livener when you need it.
Stew your berries with a drop of water to break them down and extract as much juice as possible.

Strain and press through a sieve to leave as dry a pulp as possible, discard the pulp.
Measure the remaining liquid and place in a pan with some mace, clove lemon rind and cinnamon. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Remove spices and add around the same volume of sugar as you have liquid (eg 500ml liquid would take 500gm sugar).

Dissolve the sugar and simmer until you have a syrupy liquid, cool and add the alcohol of your choice to taste. It's always been a winner for me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like the sound of that cordial, will have to keep the recipe to give it a try later in the year.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

I have a suspicion that the awful Jaegermeister that young people gulp down in shots, is actually a hunters tipple. It's probably quite nice when sipped in a hip flask on a cold morning in the Black Forest whilst hunting boar.
not chucked down ones neck in a sweaty nightclub, whilst pretending to be cool with a stupid beard and plimsole shoes!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
If it will fit:

1/2 part 151-proof rum,
1 part Golden rum,
1 part White rum,
1 part Apricot brandy,
1 part Dark rum,
1 part Lime juice,
1 part Pineapple juice

Probably should be banned!

Brynglas

I like the sound of the rum concoction.

I was given this bottle by a friend in the Italian Alps last winter, it's homemade genepy.

d7af17bfbca790b149c623867a495e4e.jpg

8d096f779d774670c70555e97a271544.jpg

d294c69af18dbcf0674ff3cd51bf7ce0.jpg

The bottle is the grape alcohol bottle (95% proof) that makes the base. As it was explained to me he collects a selection of herbs and flowers from the alpine pastures during the Summer and steeps them in the alcohol and a little sugar.

The result is a very alcoholic, floral spirit which certainly hits the spot.

I'm travelling out to Aosta in the Summer and he's promised to take me through the process which should be interesting.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE