Hilleberg Bivanorak .. any views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not see why you need to be covered under a tarp?

Excellent idea imo. The only addition I would want is a mozzie proof cover for the head area.
I made one from a large bed size mozzie net I bought from IKEA. I like to sleep with the tent open. Looks like one of those KKK head covers.
When I was young, beautiful and bold, I used a thick xl sized bin-liner. Same principle.

They make super tents also. Swedish quality, buy once and keep for decades.

But be aware that the ground needs to be free from stuff that can damage the fabric.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes I remember frequently bivvying in the woods in a 8 x 4 poly bag ... c. mid-70s into the 80s. Very comfily cushioned on the pine needles but I never woke up dry, no matter how elaborately I held the mouth of the bag open :lol:.

A bivvy bag under a tarp is very handy, Janne. I generally use one as condensation can be a pest depending on how you have rigged things up, resistance to wind, rain and snow drifting are helpful ... especially with a down bag.

Hilleberg are excellent makers - if uncheap - not ultralight but super robust tents and tarps ... I think probably that Tarptent are better. I certainly keep looking at their stuff, but having committed to Hilleberg a while ago, there is no way I am buying yet another tent :lol:. Anyway, my point is that the ultralight makers - like Mountain Laurel - don't go in for these more elaborate multi purpose pieces. Only wish they did.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You too? Good times, good times!
Yes, humidity could be a problem. I 'solved ' it ( not 100%) by having the head part of the sleeping bag ( mummy style bag) above the bin liner.

These Bivanoraks breathe though. Had they existed when I did the most of my Naturing, I would probably had one.
Were they useless, the Swedish Air Force would not have developed them.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Ah!

Does that mean, that it is air force survival equipment?

The competition is a Snugpack Special Forces Bivvy Bag, 340g, cheaper in oliv than in camouflage.
I use it regularly. It's very very good!

Interesting as an additional small tarp would be the Defcon 5 rain poncho, Italian camouflage, nato stock number, 400g.

I carry the Snugpack SF1 Sleeping bag in the SF bivvy bag in a 8Litres dry sack.

If I want to sleep, I just put a german army folding mat on the ground and in one aktion sleeping and bivvy bag on top.

If it rains, when I reach the sleeping place, I use a poncho as tarp to protect a bit the entrance of the bivvy bag.
That isn't necessary if the rain comes during the night.
You just roll on the left side and it's fine.

:)

D

Deleted member 36581

Interesting bit of kit but it appears that it's just a drawstring to close the foot end. I'd worry about the wet getting in without a tarp there. Can't abide cold wet feet.

Personally given the cost I'd rather carry a cheaper breathable bag and a poncho to use as a tarp.

No doubt it will be top build quality as usual from Hilleberg though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, issued to the Swedish pilots, it is in their survival package.
If done properly, the drawstring should lose the end efficiently.
I would not worry to much about water ingress, as you take shelter somewhere to get away from the worst rain. Like under the overhanging branches of young spruces, you choise a tree where the branches make a ‘tent’.
The ground is nice, soft and dryish there.
My favourite place to sleep.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I could see myself testing the theory with a couple of wheelie bin bags and some gaffer tape before dropping nearly £200. I like at least a tarp overhead anyway to keep rain wind and dew off me and my stuff, but I’m mainly not a fan of bivi bags because I don’t like waking up to find a slug on my ear and a spider wandering over my face. Reviews say sweaty as a cagoule and a PITA to transfer sleeping bag from pack to bivi particularly if it’s raining.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think, it is constructed mainly for use with warm clothing.

I guess, the pilots get this bivvy - coat, some fishing equipment and a piece of chocolate, a lighter and a knife and that's it.

I think with sleeping bag in a rucksack its better with Snugpack SF bivvy bag and a light military poncho.

But for the summer, that Hilleberg bivvy coat looks interesting.

I think, it should work.
I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2.
It is the best tent I ever used, and I have a large collection!
In my opinion Hilleberg is one of the seldom seldom seldom designers who produces exclusively "form follows funktion" and in the best way he can.

I am totally convinced about the seriousness of that gentleman.

Something, I do not think about a lot of people in the outdoor busyness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry, the pole bivvy tents have condensation problems.
Isn't it???

Snugpack SF bivvy bag and Hilleberg Bivanorak are ultra light equipment. That's totally different if you compare it with military bivvy bags or Jerven.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Well I don't know, I see the Hilleberg Bivanorak and the Jerven [Original] as being very similar. Both developed by or for military applications, both designed for 'light weight' and emergency use, both designed for multiple applications/ multifunctional [poncho / rain gear and shelter etc].

Both are quite pricey [Hilleberg 575g & £205, Jerven 718g & £135] I only have a jerven as I got it 2nd hand from here :).

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is the Jerven really constructed for military use?

I thought it would be hunting equipment.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
With Snugpack SF bivvy bag and Defcon 5 Rain-Poncho you have 340+400=740g and original lightweight Nato stuff too.

I think that is the better option.
More comfortably, more versatile, and with round about 120€ cheaper.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Personally, I find the jerven really adaptable [I have an exclusive with both weights of insulating lining]. I mainly hammock camp these days and the jerven can be configured easily as an underquilt / pod style round a hammock. I'd find it quite tricky to hammock camp with any of the other options mentioned so far in the thread. However I can also be used ground camping too.

Sure with both weights of lining it's pretty heavy [750g [exclusive]+1600g [60g lining]+ 2200g [170g lining] giving a total of 4.55kg - so actually make that really heavy :)] But that'll cope with pretty much anything, certainly any weather we have in Scotland - I'm looking forward to a nice crisp cold winter....

9fcn6Fv.jpg

SHMBJig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE