Hiking/backpacking for a newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have done a bit of I suppose I would call hiking or long walks but would like to get into it proper in the new year but don't know where to start?

I have been to Snowdon but that was more a day outing and would like to hike proper over several days with overnight stays. I really do not know where to start?

I looked into doing Hadrians wall but was dismayed that no camping en-route is allowed? Is there anywhere you can hike for several days at a time in 'wilderness' or do you have to stick to trails or paths? I believe Dartmoor is pretty much free terrain and Scotland also but am unsure of places to go nearer to home(Hertfordshire)?

What I am asking is, is wild travel and camping possible here?

Thanks for any info,

Steve.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's tolerated above the intake walls (roughly 300m) in the Lakes with plenty of options for long or short routes, after that you;re looking at Scotland really.

If you;re happy with your nav skills and you've got some decent lightweight gear then I'd head north, there's lots of established LDP's to choose from.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Long Distance Paths .....

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/ldp/ldpindexdetail.htm

Of course, you're not forced to stick to any routes, you can just do you're own thing if you want, especially up in Scotland

I've been planning a route for the TGO Challeneg next year (if we get on), that's just a case of linking up tracks and paths for 200 miles or so until you get to where your destination for the night.

Some decent mapping software is a great help if you can get it

EDIT:

This is probably more useful ...
http://www.walkingenglishman.com/ldp/ldplist.htm

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Thanks for the links, I will have a good look.

So in England/Wales in most places it is a case of following trails and camping in designated camp-sites?

Steve.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
In short wild camping and hiking is possible
Get an OS map and study it and get out on a recce
Do it locally to build the skills Its great fun
I guarantee I could find a spot in your area within 10 minutes
Your gonna have to walk and carry though and forget about "bushcraft" its stealth camping but of course the skills are the same
Hope you manage it

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as above really, work hard on your mapping skills and nav, never go any place unless someone knows where you are, especialy on your own... have a look into hypothermia (sp) and heat illness, basic first aid breaks sprains and especialy blister treatment...:)

build your way up, like all things it comes with exsperiance, but always remember, safety first dude...;)

hope this helps.

chris.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
South Downs way LDP isn't a bad one to start with, although you may have to wildcamp as (from memory) there aren't many camp sites. A few well positioned taps mind, so water isn't too much of an issue.
As with many of these wildcamps, if you remember the maxim 'pitch late, leave early' you'll more than likely get away with it!

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
The Ridgeway has taps at intervals along it. I recommend getting the Harveys Superwalker map. It shows the whole route on one waterproof sheet and it has campsites and taps marked on it. I have walked it as two three day walks with one wild camp and one camp site used on each part.

There are Superwalkers available for most of the LDPs, replacing older paper versions gradually.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I will look into the ridgeway trail thanks. As it happens I walked this trail for a mile or two when I visited the White Horse in Uffington, Oxford a few weeks ago! It looks like quite a bit of planning will be needed to get to each overnight camp if using the provided sites seeing as I'm unsure of my hiking abilities at the moment for long distances?
Is wild camping frowned upon then? I take it most of the land along the trail is owned by someone but if no trace is left after an overnight stay is it such a crime? I know this site does not endorse anything illegal but I'm unsure of how wrong it is in the grand scheme of things? If the trail itself has public right of way does this mean you can make camp on the trail itself?

Steve.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Is wild camping frowned upon then? I take it most of the land along the trail is owned by someone but if no trace is left after an overnight stay is it such a crime? I know this site does not endorse anything illegal but I'm unsure of how wrong it is in the grand scheme of things? If the trail itself has public right of way does this mean you can make camp on the trail itself?

Steve.

Many here 'wildcamp' ........if you pitch your tent late at night & pack away at dawn you probably won't be noticed, camp well away from paths ( an idiot on a quad is bound to tear by) & houses.......if you are caught, be polite & apologetic & you shouldn't have any problems..........remember too, absolutly no fires & leave the place as you found it.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Officially in England, you can't camp anywhere without permission! Unofficially you'll often get away with it if you stay out of sight, which is the reason behind the pitch late and leave early philosophy. I wouldn't recommend camping on a footpath or even next to one, especially a well used area like the Ridgeway.
I suppose lots of folk(me included!) don't think it's wrong to wildcamp, but then the existence of such a law does at least give landowners the right to move 'bad' campers along if they are causing a problem.
I camped up in the lakes not long ago, and had a chat with a couple of off-duty forestry workers who said more or less just that when they saw my tarp tied to a tree - they didn't have a problem with respectful camping, but the law meant that they could stop people partying and chucking tins about, lighting fires and so on. I was very polite from that point!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
As you are walking always keep your eye out for suitable spots to camp off the trail and remote as possible same goes for water sources
Eventually you will see spots that when you inspect closer have been used before-that's because they meet the criteria.
Practice doing this on day walks and bimbles you will soon get an eye for it

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I walked hadians wall a few year back, though it was a good short-ist walk [4 days & well marked] - mind you it was really from carlise to newcastle [train station to train station] the actual route goes on alittle before and after.

Stayed in the youth hostel at Greenhead, nice small converted chapel, good pub down the road [but then pretty much all pubs are good]

The rest was spent wild camping, I did just have a bivi bag so I was low profile, and following the advice of arrive late and get going early, helped avoid people. Also if you do in in the summer months you get longer days/ better weather [although can be a bit hot] but the more touristy parts are busier.

getting a map had having a good look at an area is an absoulte MUST.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
The south west coast path is a good one to get started for a newbe . you can catch the train to penzance and head round landsend in the direction to st ives and then on from there. The path is easy to follow you wont get lost, the scenery is stunning and if you fancy you can hop off the trail and find a pub,campsite whatever you like.
Me an the missus walked this trail many years ago together and we have such fond memories of it that we are planning to fly back to the UK next year to do it again. Its not the hardest trail out there and you will meet other walkers (so its not completely remote). However the scenery makes it worth while.
I know you may be looking for a more wild route with no paths but it may not be a bad idea if its your first time carrying a full pack for several day to give a few route/paths ago first. Walking across wild terrain with a full pack where there are no paths is a lot harder and it may be good to understand your tolerances of carrying a full load over several days before trying this

Last edited:

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
I walked the Ridgeway with a mate 20 years ago, and we just used bivvi bags off the trail and had no problems, but that was then. It's been a long time since I wild-camped in southern England, but it's all a question of being discreet and respectful I think, just as it always was.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE