Highlander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Browsing in my local outdoor shop, I noticed they have a lot of kit made by 'Highlander' - sleeping bags, rucksacs and some nifty thermarest-type sleeping mats for just £24. Also silk sleeping bag liner for twenty something quid.

I've had a Highlander Forces 25 rucksack for over a year, and it is surprisingly good for £19. Not quite in the same league as my karrimor but nevertheless very robust, well put together and has stood the test of time.

Has anyone got experience of their sleeping bags and (especially) the thermarest-type mats?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I got these boots a while ago, made by them.
Needed a waterproof, hard wearing, cheap pair of boots.
Got them as a special deal for £45 (i think), been really impressed with them.
fot54_sympatex_with_sole_SMALL.jpg

http://www.adventure1.co.uk/en-us/p_359.html

Not tried anything else of there's though

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have a trade account with them and have bought loads of kit inc sleeping bags and mats.
The quality is top notch and thair after sales servive is excellant, they do an excellant copy of the currant issue military bergan which has to be seen to be believed.
I couldnt recommend them any more if I tried :biggthump

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I've got a trade account with them too - always used to use them for buying cheap hats, gloves, socks etc. Recently had a problem with them being out of stock with loads of stuff though so we haven't used them for a while.

But there's no way I would pay £12 in one of the high street shops for the same hats they sell for about £3! How they do the prices they do I have no idea. The thermarest copies seem ok too - some of my staff bought some to try and reports are fine.

I'm not so sure I would use their tents or rucsacs though - although they are design copies of established models I'm not sure that I'd be happy knowing that one of my most important bits of kit had been made out of the cheapest possible materials for the least cost.

Others don't seem to have a problem so maybe it's just me, but I'm a great believer in "you get what you pay for" so don't expect too much from them.

George

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've had one of their 33l packs for quite a few years now and it has stood the test of time. Its a great little day sack.

:)
Ed

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
If anyones intrested they,re based in Edinburgh.The forces 44 rucksack is what i use and i have no complaints with it. The company i work for also sells some of their gear. I,m also of the thought "You only get what you pay for" so i would,nt kit myself out entirely with their gear. CHEERS STUART F

S

slyfox

I am using a 44 rucksack as well and its spot on ! its even got the straps for an axe on the front.
all for £40 good value for money. :-D

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Got my Highlander Forces 100 bergen - first impressions, apart from being very rugged, are that it's very complicated :oops:

So many zips and buckles and straps and pockets... I'm gonna have to enlist so I can go through basic training to find out how to use it!

Now just need to get some more kit to fill it up :wink: :roll:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Boaty,

I'm thinking of replacing my Karrimor Jaguar 65 ltr with the Highlander Forces 100 rucksack - I would like the versatility of having a 100ltr, an 80ltr and a 20 ltr sack combination. Have seen them from £70-£100. Seems like good value.
What's your opinion of them now that you have had a chance to get used to it? Are they too big? I sometimes have to carry my 5 year olds kit as well as mine when we go away for a couple of nights and would like to be able to be able to put it all in one sack - weight permitting.

Cheers for your help.
Anyone else that wants to offer advice please feel free.

JFW

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
For 100 litres load carrying I'd recommend the Bergaus Vulcan ... it's got a good back and belt on it to help you carry that kind of weight.

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
JFW,

I don't think its too big - the main compartment can quickly get filled up with sleeping bag, bivvy bag and other bulky things that, on a smaller sack, would maybe have to be strapped on the outside. You could over-fill it, but I'm guessing you're experienced enough to know what to take and what to leave behind.

The side pockets really are a useful size - I can fit a trangia stove, millbank bag and 58 pattern waterbottle in one, and plenty of food in the other. They don't attach to a yoke like the PLCE one, but have a shoulder strap attached to each pocket and zip together - this might mean that they're less robust, but it also means you can sling one jauntily over your shoulder if you don't want to take them both!

It has a lid pocket and lots of external anchor points for strapping stuff like your axe etc etc. The main compartment has a sort of false bottom that you can seperate from the rest, perhaps for putting wet things in, and can access by an external zip without opening the top of the sack.

I'm not sure I can comment meaningfully about weight and comfort - 15 years of training twice a day for competitive rowing has warped my perception of what's acceptable and enjoyable...

This is the only big sack I've ever used though, so perhaps a try before you buy would be in order - I bought mine on ebay for £30 delivered, which was just too good a deal to miss!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
so perhaps a try before you buy
Go out 'window shopping' trying on a variety of packs and see what suits you. Ask to try on packs with weight in them aswell to fell how they handle heavy loads.
The last thing you want to do is mail order a new pack and find out it doesn't fit comfortably... excellent advice!!

:)
Ed

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Just comparing my Sabre 45 and Highlander Forces 25 rucsacs side-by-side: I don't think there is all that much difference in general quality of construction. Both made in Far East. Sabre 45 is probably pro rata a bit lighter, and has more 'features'. Also the ability to use PLCE side pockets is an advantage.

FWIW you can get a Pro Action 1 man tent, Snugpak kestrel sleeping bag, Highlander mat, gas stove and Coleman canteen set and 24 hours food all in the Highlander 25. No room for clothes though!

I ught a Highlander Thermarest mat clone. I'm very impressed.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Boaty,

any chance you could post some piccies of the various set ups or PM me.
Highlander have discontinued this model so if I could see some pics it would help me make up my mind between this and the webtec 3/4.

Cheers

JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE