Hiding pics containing dead animals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Could we have a policy of hiding pics showing dead animals please. (outsode the hunting bit at least) Not everyone wants to see them. I only get on to the forum in computer rooms at uni and I really don't like people next to me looking at the pics.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Andy said:
Could we have a policy of hiding pics showing dead animals please. (outsode the hunting bit at least) Not everyone wants to see them. I only get on to the forum in computer rooms at uni and I really don't like people next to me looking at the pics.
There is a policy already Andy from what I read on the Vegetarian Wild Food thread in Lovely Grub. Posted by Ed the moderator there:
tomtom is correct. The way we origionally set up the forum was to have all veggie stuff in the 'Lovely Grub' forum and all meat, hunting, game prep etc in a seperate sub forum so that the vegetarians among us do not have to read such posts. Unfortunaly not everyone sticks to this and alot of single posts in threads end up talking about meat in the lovley grub forum.

If you find anything on game prep, hunting etc in the lovely grub forum, please feel free to report the post/thread to me and I'll gladly move it over to fair game

Ed
Seems reasonable enough for me.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can you pm the posts/threads you are talking about please and I'll see what I can do.

We try and keep all meat, game prep etc in fair game as stated above, but it is impossible for us to catch every one that is stray. Also with the wide scope that is bushcraft it is possible that images of skinned animals may end up in say the DIY and Traditional Crafts forum on a thread about tanning..... Maybe some sort of warning icon is needed, or place a warning in the thread title.

Ed

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
we dont have the hide function on BCUK.. thats a hack martyn added to BB.

i'd personally be quite happy to give warning of any thread or post i made with such images in but can i ask what do you consider needs warning andy.. picture of a stew/bacon in the pan or are you just talking.. skining, trapping pictures?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
well for me it's just things that people who think meat comes shrink wrapped in tesco would complain about seeing in a computer room. I forgot we don't have the hide function on BCUK. Maybe people could just post the url instead.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Why would such images posted in the correct 'Fair Game' forum are a problem :confused:

I can't think of many other reasons to post such photos in other forums and if they are in the wrong one then they can be moved as Ed says.

Just keep it simple.

J

Jamie

Andy said:

Andy, I hear what you are saying, but remember that the meat found in supermarkets is not grown in shrink wrap and that an animals life was taken to put it there. Society has become, IMO, so distanced and alienated from the whole food chain.

Perhaps its about time that people in general actually realise where their meat comes from and gains a greater respect for what was actually lost to put it there.

And if you feel that strongly, I suggest a change of your signature too.
There is more then one way to skin a cat, this forum is the place to find them

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i have to ask andy, was this caused by anything in particular?

surely someone looking over your shoulder at what you are viewing on a public pc is as offensive as trying to read someone elses newspaper while they are reading it themselves

in fact many newspapers carry much more disturbing images on the front page ( and no i dont mean the sun) such as pictures from iraq or the asian tsunami

not only dead animals but , well you have seen them too

surely if the net admins have deemed a site suitable and acessible on the uni net then any problems should be referred to them ?

please don't misunderstand my motives here

for example i do not drink and find the amount of public drunkenness shocking, but i do not walk up to a drunk in the street and confront them over their habits

there are many things on the web (and in life) that someone will find offensive, but common sense and tolerance are much better ways to deal with them IMHO

Tant

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I received a PM about one of my pic's on British Blades and i wrapped it to avoid causing offence.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135153#post135153
For those who don't want to look , it shows an Alan Wood knife and some jointed pieces of rabbit.
I can understand people being offended by images of dead animals but in this case i thought it was fine and in good taste and is no more distasteful than the butchers counter in TESCO's.
I read lot's of knife reviews and i don't trust them if they only show nice new shiny unused knives Iand anyone who is on a bushcraft forum or discussing bushcraft knives should not be surprised to see animals being prepared for food as it's an important part of the knifes use.
I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
(Alan actually saw the pic and said "Great to see it being used. I always think these sort of knives look better when well used with the associated patina.It is a real working knife and shouldn't end up in a drawer or cabinet as many do. ")

rb

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I suppose it depends on the context in which it's done. An animal being properly butchered for dinner, should be okay. You see it on cookery programs all the time on telly - just without the fur and feathers. If it's just mindless, needless carnage thats a bit different.

And i'm a vegetarian. C'est la vie !!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Sorry for any offense caused, We do try and keep the dead animal stuff out of view of those not looking for it. We can move offensive threads to the fair game forum once they have been pointed out to us.
I know not everyone on here is omnivorous, and will not wish to view such images.
I know i have a hastily burried skinning photos posted to the gallery (when it was running), so as not to upset to anyone.
Cheers
Rich

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have to side with Andy on this, not because I object to seeing the pictures, quite the contrary, but because I recognise that others may think differently. There is no reason why a vegetarian shouldn't be into bushcraft. Bushcraft isn't explicitly about hunting or killing animals - although it's a significant part for many, it's not a requirement. Same goes for knife collecting or knife making. Many people are just as offended by the meat counter of sainsbury's as they are seeing pictures of dead animals. You can argue whether or not they should be offended, but the bottom line is - we should respect thier choices whether we agree or not.

It's not difficult to post a picture as a link along with a warning, rather than inline in defference to people who might object. So why not? I say keep the pictures of dead animals confined to those forums that are explicitly concerned with hunting and killing and leave the rest corpse free, simply out of respect for those who may (and do) hold different opinions.

The fact is, pictures of dead animals do offend people, whether you agree with that or not is moot. So respect thier beliefs, offer the picture as a link and post a warning. You are giving people a choice, instead of putting it in thier face, what's the problem with that?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
just how far are we supposed to take this?

is leather ok ?

should we also hide references to things that kill animals either directly like snares hawks and ferrets, or indirectly like modern farming methods and the use of pesticides?

who among us does not own anything made from animal in some way or other?

why is it ok to kill plant but not the animals whose very survival depends on them ? for examples we need look no further than our own british isles, once largely forrested , now overfarmed

dodo.jpg

gratuitous pic of dead animal

Tant

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
What concerns and bothers me is that most actually see a difference between plants, animals, birds, fish, etc. They are all living, breathing and bleeding creatures that deserve all the respect we can offer to them, because they literally give their all so that each of us can live for another day. In fact, without the plants, most life would have a hard time of it, or perish all together.

So please, show the due respect and keep your photos of salads and flower clippings to a minimum, OK? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE