Helsport Stove and damper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Hi all,

in a bid to try and keep the stove going overnight, I was thinking of installing a damper in the stove pipe section nearest the stove. The pipe diameter is just less than 3".
Question is how to make a damper? I have seen cast iron ones in the US that are 3" and was think that I could try and shoe horn the damper to fit only that the shipping costs are ridiculous.

Any ideas?

pwb

I made a kind of disposable one out of recycled materials ( an old dog food tin a piece of fence wire, small bit of steel and a couple of bolts ) for a home made box stove.
Reduced the chimney diameter by two thirds, seemed to work OK.

DSC01418.jpg

You could use the same method but with more robust materials i.e thicker gauge, stainless etc. Would only require drilling three holes in the existing chimney two for the damper and one as a rest to hold the damper closed .

Hope this is of help,

Pete.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Fourdog's titanium stoves just have a slot cut in a section of pipe, and the damper is a simple flat piece that slides in and out of the slot. A bolt through the tip of it keeps it from falling out and being lost. If that explanation isn't clear, I could take a pic for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE