Help sharpening a mora spoon knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have has a Mora spoon knife for a while now which I have never really used.

It was cheap due to some manufacturing fault and came pretty much blunt.
I can't seem to get it to any kind of usable profile and am starting to despair a bit.

Anyone got any advice on where to start?
I've seen a few videos on snapping rhe sharpened end off and rounding the secobd bevel etc. I had a go and got nowhere.

Alternatively can I send it to someone who can reprofile it so i can maintain a workable edge?

Any advice gratefully received!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Where abouts in Beds do you live?

Reason I ask is if you're reasonably close I can come over and show you how to reprofile it and sharpen it

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I sharpen mine with progressively finer grades of wet n dry emery cloth wrapped around a 10ml wooden dowel, starting with 400grit then moving up in increments of 200grit finishing with 1000-2000-4000grit, upwards of 1000grit they are razor sharp

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
I'm actually in London at the moment but back in Beds quite regularly. Kind of Northwest Beds on the Northamptonshire border.
I'm back there the weekend of the 23rd. That any good? Thanks so much for the offer.

I have also seen the dowel option for sharpening. I think that the angle of the edge is totally off though. I have taken some time on it and I can't imagine it getting any better while it is how it is.

Btw do you carve green or dried?

Thanks again for all the advice

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE