help ! im new

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1987_uk

hi im new to this but bushcraft looks really interesting so im askin u all 2 help me out. So cud u tel me wot equipent i need to start off with thanls alot people :-o

wayne

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Welcome to the forums and welcome to the world of bushcraft. There is no definate kit list, it depends what sort of theing you want to do. As most of bushcraft activities are outside, you need to get some warm, sturdy clothing if you don't already have it. There are some items that have a cult following but are also expensive. Examples of these are swanni shirts and ventile jackets. These are not essential :wink:. The best thing is to start out with inexpensive gear and find out your preferences.

Probably the most important outdoor tool is the knife. You don't really want to start out with a folding knife or a huge thick blade. Again it best to start out with something inexpensive and see how you like it. A good starting point is a mora fixed blade that cost around £10.

So's not to break the bank, it is a good idea to spread out your purchases, looking round for the best deals. You don't have to get all your gear at once!

I'm now going to list some of the gear popular with people on these forums, although there is a lot more stuff out there.
The Berghaus Munro pack, the Karrimor Sabre series of rucksacks, the snugpak sleeka rocket pack, granfors axes, bahco laplander saws, swedish firesteels, aussie hootchies, lapp puukos, akubra hats, british army kit, billhooks, hennessy hammocks, nanok sleeping bags, ajungilak sleeping bags, rab sleeping bags, mora crooked and pull knifes and lots lots more. Have a look at some of the posts on the kit forum for more ideas.

Hope this helps

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Hello, and welcome!

Pete's listed some great companies.
Keep an eye on the “what’s new” section of the web site, for reviews of contemporary kit.
But, as listed in the reviews section, you need something to:

CARRY STUFF IN
COOK WITH
CUT WITH
DRINK FROM AND PURIFY WITH
EAT
NAVIGATE WITH
SHELTER UNDER
SLEEP IN
WEAR

I hope I speak for everyone, when I ask if you could write a little more concisely and perhaps employ a grammar & spell checker?
I for one, find it quite difficult to understand your writing (and I'm not old!)

I am by no means a grammarian. But, I think it will help everyone, and avoid sore nerves if you pay attention to your punctuation, and pronunciation.
Besides it took alot of effort, intelligence, and time, to create our diverse language.
It doesn’t take alot of effort to honour it, and to speak it correctly :-D

Take care! :uu:

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
HI! erm well i found the best thing to have when getting kiit is common sense :wink: adm dont forget a wallet and a good pair of hiking boots and a dictonary :p just joking really i you want to insult me by pm please do so or just insult me here what ever but whateever you do just shop around for stuff and research it by looking at things on the web. And lastly dont spend loads on gear cause you might ruin them by accident :?: (remembering jumpers burnt and hats lost) well hope you have a good time

1987_uk

thanks for all the help but whats up with the way i talk, it aint that hard to understand.... but from now on i will use spell checker if it makes you all happy thanks again

wayne

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh I understood U ok 2, but most of this lot don't make it out of the woods very often ! So they aint got to grips with text messaging.
There really is no need here as you've got full keyboard to use
Good to have you aboard, i've found lots of good advice here
Rich

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
welcome wayne, i understood you well but i have 4 almost adult kids and text language is often easier to understand than teenager grunting! :) my kit consists of very little that cost any money. If your keen enough you can 'get by' with very little cost. the difference is that quality kit makes anything you do a lot easier! for example try preparing feather sticks with a cheap penknife and then try it with a sharp fixed blade knife. the result is similar but the effort involved is usually miles apart. The irony is that the more skilled you become the more likely you are to buy decent kit.Its Easier if you buy reasonable quality kit to start with as it makes the learning curve steeper. i hope you enjoy this site and learn a lot from it.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Welcome aboard 1987. I'm a bit of a newbie here myself, but in the short time I've been a member I've learned a lot myself. They're a good bunch and very helpful.......enjoy! :)

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE