help, fishing line and/or hobo.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 5, 2014
Manchester
i have all the gear but no idea.
can someone teach me the basics of fishing.
ive tried and had no luck.
i would love to catch and cook my own, but up to yet ive had to catch my fish from tesco..

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well first point on the subject of HOBO fishing. It is not legal to fish in freshwater in the UK without a rod. There is no legal minimum length (based on the email I got from the EA) for a rod, but you must use a rod, and not leave it unattended.

With that in mind, what sort of fishing are you doing? Sea, or freshwater? Once we know where you are fishing, more information can be given.

J

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Simple. Cut yourself a piece of nice, flexible length of a straight wood type hazelnut, damson and similar.
Line: I recommend one of the new "multistrand " superlines.
A small hook at the end, and a float. Maybe a wine bottle cork, or a piece of dry wood?

What gear do you have?

You need to learna few basic knots. Internet is your friend!
Bait depends on what you want to catch, but small worms are universally excellent.

Bait the hook, lower it into the water, sit back with a fag, and enjoy the peacefullness!

Also to bear in mind is the fact that you need a rod licence to freshwater fish - even if using a freshly cut branch and a bent pin! These can be purchased by the day/ week/ year etc. to suit your needs. There are legal "take" limits - technically set by region though in practice they follow the national ones: limiting to a single pike per day for example. Eels or shad, by contrast, may never be taken.

I'm not sure I'd agree with Janne about using braided line with a homemade rod (I assume that's what multi-strand line refers to) - the elasticity in a modern mono or flouro filament line (particularly the former) can help compensate for the lack of flex in the rod.

Bait wise I concur that small worms - or pieces of larger worms - are the best universal and easily accessible bait (catching nightcrawlers on dewy lawns is a popular past time in our household!).

If you wanted to take your own kit then there are the super lightweight "pen" rods - I've never used one but heard that they can be surprisingly good for what they are. A sliding "perch bob" style float and some size 12 hooks (barbed unless you are fishing somewhere that specifically prohibits them) and you are good to go.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I recommrnded braid for two reasons; it is easier to tie eith normal knots ( if the user can not tie proper knots) and
You can use a thinner line and still have the strength.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Get yourself to the seaside. Ask the first person you meet whether "they" are in and where to buy the feathers. Easiest from a boat but pier etc are good. Drop hook and feathers on any line into the water. Enjoy fresh mackerel.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
A hobo is a name given (generally in America) for a migratory worker or homeless vagabond....They used to make up a fishing 'kit' by wrapping line around a Coke can or stick etc. and the name Hobo Fishing kit kind of stuck.

D.B.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks!

I assumed that, but was not sure.
A flexible stick /rod will prevent the line from breaking. Did not Huckleberry Finn use a stick and line?

Todays Hobos in UK kill @ cook swans, or eat the carp from ponds, correct?
Swan is supposed to be delicious. I never had a chance to eat one back in Sweden though...

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Swans were once considered the food of kings here in the UK....hence now ALL Swans belong to the Queen and it is illegal to eat them, she also owns all the Sturgeon but in truth I don't think she actually catches them on a hobo line nor does she hunt the Swans with a Catty (though in truth I am only guessing here) As for the Carp it tends to be the eastern Europeans that poach the Carp, they are traditionally eaten over there....We actually left Europe in protest and to protect the Carp.

D.B.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Carp is delicious if kept in running fresh water for a week or so.
It was a Catholic custom all over Europe untill the other Christian churches got established. Every monastery and nunnery had a carp pond.

Austria, Czech Rep., Poland still keep that custom.

Swan - would love to try! I can see the Queen chasing one with a billhook in her hand on Sunday morning....

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Fishing kits with the rod, weights and lures etc.. can be bough for cheap in shops like decathalon and online, you can pick up a full set for about £20-25. Granted it wont be the best quality but I've had plenty of fish out with kits like that. There's nothing difficult to a bit of basic fishing. All you need really is a line with a hook and a bit of bait, or metal lure (a spinner) Cast it out to the water and if its the lure reel it back in slowly to mimic a fish going through the water. Or you can use a few of the weights, a bit of bait and a float further up the line, and just leave the rod on some kind of stand.

I'm also getting into trapping crayfish recently. This is very easy and again half decent traps can be had online. You need to apply for a permit, just like for fishing, but the crayfish one was free for me.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permiss...mon-and-sea-trout#crayfish-trap-authorisation

Tonyuk

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Here's a couple of recent catches from my holidays , caught using a hobo hand line and some fake bread ! Having watched series two of Alone and being a little suprised at the lack catches I set myself the task of seeing what I could manage . I managed to catch at least three fish on every outing , enough to keep me alive .......

4893e23b72bf4eb3f274506245a90523.jpg

ff1812baaa94ac3535a2db9575ef3bc7.jpg

f963e94dfea2fcca91f3c6f25a6e2fcf.jpg

934d5d10b10e55052bc772978396fd98.jpg

65b98f48af94be77861409625f8089ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE