help! coleman lamp 'pulsing'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
so im trying to light my newly acquired lamp, the twin mantle dual fuel jobbie. i followed the destructions, burnt in the mantles with a match, filled it up with about 500ml of fuel, 30 pumps on the pump, turn to full and put match to mantles, it then lights and goes out, if i hold the match in then it pulses as in it flames up then goes out repeatedly.

anyone got any idea what im doing wrong?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
says 30 on the lamp, and 35 on the website, i did hit it up another 30 times on top to be sure and it was the same. im wondering if it has enough fuel in it

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
says 30 on the lamp, and 35 on the website, i did hit it up another 30 times on top to be sure and it was the same. im wondering if it has enough fuel in it

You're getting the idea now. The more fuel, the less pumps. The stated 30 on the instructions is for a completely full tank. I usually pump at least 100.

Be advised though; if you open the cap now to put more fuel in, you'll release the pressure and will have to start over again when you put the cap back on.

nunzionuk

I pump mine about 50 times pre lighting and 20/30 times more just after it's going. Pulsing is a sign of low pressure.

Good luck they are awkward beauties but nothing beats them when they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cordhound

Jul 16, 2014
Mere, Wiltshire
Does the lamp have a circular trough beneath the mantle? If so, you need some spirit gel in there, which you light, this burns and heats up the mantle so that the fuel can take.
Hope this helps..

Ahrroooo !!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I had similar problems lighting one for the first time.

I filled the tank up fully, pumped 30 times. Then everyone at the naughty corner said "do another 30". I tried lighting. Got nowhere really. Then someone who knew something said 'just keep pumping until you can't pump any more in'

I did that and it lit first time. No explosions.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I recently acquired one of these lanterns myself.had a few teething issues too.the above advice is spot on.yer can't really put a spot on figure too the amount pumps cause it depends on how much fuel you've got in their.ive just been giving it enough till the pumps becomes hard too push then lighting it.if it starts too pulse then just give it another 10 blasts repeatedly till it stops. Yer might find a fresh tank of fuel helps.heres were I was goin wrong
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123968

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I got mine the other day, although it didn't pulse it did need a proper pressurising before it would glow fully. I thought I done it right but clearly it needed a good thorough going over.

So, pump untill it gets too tough to do anymore!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I had similar problems lighting one for the first time.

I filled the tank up fully, pumped 30 times. Then everyone at the naughty corner said "do another 30". I tried lighting. Got nowhere really. Then someone who knew something said 'just keep pumping until you can't pump any more in'

I did that and it lit first time. No explosions.

We were maintaining a safe distance whilst you were doing it just in case though! :D

It only took a few more days before you found another way to injurer yourself, hey? :rolleyes:

Several of us have decided to get you a locking rubber knife so you can safely do butter carving! Ooo just like hot rubber through butter! ;) Once you prove yourself with that then we'll progress you onto marzipan and a wooden knife. We'll carve you the wooden knife!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dual fuel lanterns are intended for unleaded petrol or coleman fuel - NOT ethanol. If you are lucky you will simply need to strip it down and let the ethanol evaporate off.

Alternatively there may be replacement parts in your future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE