Helle Temagami - a joy to use...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
A good tool makes the work go easier, faster, safer and, usually, more enjoyably. That’s the Helle Temagami in a nutshell, and I could pretty much end this review right there because this is a hard knife to criticise. Basically, Helle got everything just right with the Temagami and it is by far and away the easiest non-custom knife to use that I have ever owned.

Pictured on my roving quiver, next to my 60 lb Ipe hunting longbow:

temagami-1.jpg

temagami-2.jpg

And next to some good company (Guy Stainthorp Bushcrafter above with a Joel Bolden Model 1 and Fallkniven F1 below) to give an idea of overall scale:

temagami-3.jpg

temagami-4.jpg

Notice how much more substantial the Temagami handle is by comparison:

temagami-5.jpg

temagami-6.jpg

For scale, next to a Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet, with which it makes an ideal pair:

temagami-7.jpg

As soon as you remove the knife from its sheath it is obvious that here is a working knife that does not follow the current mainstream. The Temagami is a substantial knife – the handle is long, wide and deep and works incredibly well in every hold you can imagine, offering a positive and safe grip. Very impressive are the more subtle design features that place the tip and belly of the blade right where they need to be for safe, controlled work, without the user having to even try.

Ignoring the current popularity of 4mm (and over) blade thickness is a good thing in my opinion and helps make the Temagami a very efficient cutting tool indeed.

Out of the box the knife was incredibly sharp (Helle knives tend to arrive ridiculously sharp and this was no exception) and it stayed that way through a lot of use. Feather sticks were a breeze, as was processing fish (cod and trout, on two separate outings), rabbits, and ducks. I have yet to try it on larger game but if early indications are anything to go by there will be nothing untoward to report.

The traditional looking Scandinavian style sheath is safe for both the knife and user, having a wraparound plastic insert inside it to prevent the blade cutting through leather in the event of a fall or overenthusiastic placement in the sheath :rolleyes:

temagami-9.jpg

To date mine has been used in the kitchen for preparing meals, in place of a crooked knife to help shape the back of a longbow (after I found mine had been left on the Isle of Skye :rolleyes:), to prepare fish and game, to process the makings of fires and also to make the board and spindle for a hand drill, and it is a pleasure to use in all tasks.

I ordered two of the first production run knives in stainless, the idea being that I would play with one and the other would go into storage for my currently 4 year old daughter as and when she reaches a suitable age. I have just ordered a third in laminated carbon for my own use and to directly compare the stainless/carbon working attributes. One of these days my curiosity about such things is going to catch up to me :)

That should go some way to showing how utterly impressed I am with the Temagami as a working tool. Everyone I have handed the Temagami to has reacted positively to it in use.

Basically the Temagami is a real anomaly in that in use, it epitomises what a good outdoors knife ought to be - it offers great edge retention, low maintenance (mine is the first production run in stainless) a super-comfortable and versatile grip that correctly places the blade and, as an overall package, it really is difficult to fault.

I will update this in a month or two after I have worked the Temagami over a longer period but, so far, based purely on the last few weeks, it stands head and shoulders above an awful lot of the currently accepted de-facto bushcraft knives.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
great review, i will keep my eye on what you have to say about this knife mate, as this could be my next purchase, as i have been looking for something different for some time, and this could be it, i love les stroud and what he stands for.
he seems like an honest bloke, and not a fake like the rest of them, i also love helle, fantastic knives, and fantastic steel, i love my harding.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Sound greats ! I realy want to try one, do Hennies have them in at the moment?
I am realy missing my Eggen, gave it to my brother-in-law as a 'introduction' to proper knives.
I have quite a few customs ( Love that Bushcrafter by Guy btw, I have one in samba stag, a real beaut! )
but I feel the need to replace my Eggen. I was going to get another but I think I will give the Temagami a try out after this review.
Love the handle shape, I find many handles too narrow for prolonged use.
My best.
Chris.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
The handle size and shape really does go a very long way towards making this knife as good as it is in use.

I guess I could do a passaround, if folks were that interested. I have, after all, one in storage for Charlotte (who may or may not continue to follow the outdoors path) and another on the way.

A trio of Temagamis - oh, be still my thumping heart :)

I almost sold my Guy Stainthorp bushcrafter on here a few months back and, on reflection, I'm pretty chuffed the sale fell through - I doubt I will ever use it, but it's very, very nice to have :D

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
This one has been on my radar since you described very favourably it in a thread quite recently. I await the follow-up with interest.

I too like knives with - I guess you'd say - larger handles. eg I like the handle on my Becker BK2, but the blade is very (much too?) thick.

How does the handle on this one compare size-wise with, say, the handle on the standard Frost Mora? (The green plastic handled one).

Cheers

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It sounds like a great bit of kit. The only thing I'm not too sure about are those groves on the spine of the blade. Do you find them at all obtrusive or off putting?

Dave

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
It sounds like a great bit of kit. The only thing I'm not too sure about are those groves on the spine of the blade. Do you find them at all obtrusive or off putting?

Dave

Not at all - if you use them for their intended purpose (when extending the forefinger over the spine of the blade for skinning large game) they work well in giving said forefinger a better grip, especially if your hands are wet or slippery from blood or fat during butchering an animal out.

Some websites were saying that the grooves were to strike sparks from a ferro rod - they aren't, and weren't intended for this, although they can work (sort of) for that purpose. Just another 'internet fact' that got out of hand :rolleyes:

The grooves work well and don't cause a problem at all - in fact, I used them to help process some nettle stalks and inner willow bark a few days ago for making cordage - they helped clean the outer gunk off the nettle stalks and could also be used to separate some of the fibres out.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
Mid-West USA
I'm very happy that Les hooked up with Helle and they made a quality tool, However... am I the only one that thinks it looks a whole lot like an Enzo... I'm just sayin.
enzo+o1.JPG

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Other than overall physical size I don't think they are similar at all - no more so than an Enzo is similar to a Woodlore, which is similar to an Eggen, which is...

They are all different to one another, sometimes in quite subtle ways and at other times more obviously so, but the Enzo is nothing like the Temagami in use IMHO, although it's fair to say that which knife you use is less important than how you use it. Some just lend themselves to the task at hand more readily than others.

Last edited:

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Other than overall physical size I don't think they are similar at all - no more so than an Enzo is similar to a Woodlore, which is similar to an Eggen, which is...

They are all different to one another, sometimes in quite subtle ways and at other times more obviously so, but the Enzo is nothing like the Temagami in use IMHO, although it's fair to say that which knife you use is less important than how you use it. Some just lend themselves to the task at hand more readily than others.
I hear what you're saying and agree fully agree. But talking about the Temagami and the Eggen - looking at pictures and dimensions they do look quite similar, especially the blade shape. Do you also have a Helle Eggen and if yes maybe could post a comparison picture to the Temagami? And do you happen to know wether the laminated steel of the Eggen is the same as in the stainless Temagami?

Thanks and cheers
Jörg

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I hear what you're saying and agree fully agree. But talking about the Temagami and the Eggen - looking at pictures and dimensions they do look quite similar, especially the blade shape. Do you also have a Helle Eggen and if yes maybe could post a comparison picture to the Temagami? And do you happen to know wether the laminated steel of the Eggen is the same as in the stainless Temagami?

Thanks and cheers
Jörg

The Eggen is a superb knife and yes, I have one (two in fact :D).

There are some general similarities between the Eggen and the Temagami but that's all they are.

If you don't mind waiting for a few days I will take some pictures of them side by side for comparison when I get both knives together - one is at home and the other is up at my cottage, and I won't be there until the weekend at the earliest.

As far as I know the steel is identical.

More to follow...

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
If you don't mind waiting for a few days I will take some pictures of them side by side for comparison when I get both knives together - one is at home and the other is up at my cottage, and I won't be there until the weekend at the earliest.

As far as I know the steel is identical.

More to follow...
Thanks Xunil :) and of course I don't mind waiting a few days :).

Cheers
Jörg

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
I bought a LOT of raffle tickets to try and win one of these at the bushmoot - to no avail! After handling it briefly, I really loved it. Can't seem to find many in stock in the UK? I know Lurch has a draw for one soon (and in stock)Anyone had a chance to compare the stainless and the 01? Looks great.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'm very happy that Les hooked up with Helle and they made a quality tool, However... am I the only one that thinks it looks a whole lot like an Enzo... I'm just sayin.
enzo+o1.JPG

It doesn't look much like an Enzo when you see them side by side. Though I can't put a picture up right now. The blade and handle are heading for 1cm longer on the Helle and the handle on the Helle is nearly twice as thick.

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
Great review!
How would you say the edge retention is on both the Carbon Laminated, and the Stainless Laminated models? does it form any tiny tiny chips/nicks in the edge after substantial use? That would be a real help.
Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE