Height for a thumb stick?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi All, in terms of body position (e.g at the waist, armpit etc), what is the ideal height /length from the ground of a thumb stick type walking stick? I’ve got all the bits to make one, but haven’t ever used one and think one could be handy in some of the slippery ways round here.

Cheers, Bob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Whan I hold and use a thumbstick my preference is for my hand and wrist to be raised slightly above my elbow. Any higher and it just doesn't feel comfortable

Reactions: MrEd

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Somewhere around elbow height usually, start long and shorten it bit by bit until you find the right length for you.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The advice for trekking poles is about 90° at the elbow. I tend to go a little higher reducing that angle a bit. Not much higher though.

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
One of the nice things about cutting your own sticks (mildly addictive) is there's no reason why you shouldn't have a few at hand by the front door if you so wish. Different cuts, lengths close at hand all ready to go.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I bought a ready made thumb stick, ( made locally) and I found that the handle bit, both the area where the hole is, and the top part, are just a little too small/thin.
It makes my hand uncomfortable when I put weight on it.

( have a bad knee, need support it when it has achey days)

I will get some local Birch next week, and make my own handle I will attach ro the existing stick.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It all depends on where and how you use it really.

I like a tall thumb stick because I use it as a monopod for a long lens or my rifle. As proposed above, you just hold it further down depending on the terrain. My favourite one is 1.5m (59") to the base of the antler Y that bends over and it's great for pulling down those sloe branches that are too high up to reach :) - probably stretching the term 'thumb stick' to be honest!

thumb stick 25.jpg

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Bob if I may illustrate my comments for clarity,

The first picture is of a thumbstick with the addition of a laced leather grip to be used as a staff if required, depending on the topography.
The second picture shows just a staff with the deeper leather grip for hand adjustment, positioning was chest height for this customer.
Final picture again shows a staff with a hand grip this time bark remaining, this was to be used for ceremonial purposes on the flat rather than hill walking. A shade above waist height was requested for this customer.

so there we go, it depends on usage and preferences in diameter height and weight, hope this helps.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Local shop in my village makes canes and hiking staffs in batches, 25 - 50 at a time.
All seasoned diamond willow, which is probably the prettiest cane wood on earth.
They have 4-6" logs that serve as corenrs for queen & king beds, too.

As Broch asks: "What's it for?"

You tell the maker and that gets you measured. Then the discussion of details, fittings and so on.

I've been walking(?) with a cane from that shop for a couple of years. It keeps me from falling on my face.
The biggest attraction was the handle = about 5" long by 2+" wide. Pure comfort to lean on.

Actually, my avatar picture was taken outside the back wall of that shop. You see a little of the firewood pile.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Lovely sticks there woodspirits. I'd be a proud owner of one of those.

Really very beautifully made and carved, top work. :)

My effort at the moment is a Blackthorn for my own use. I’ve been fitting the antler top with mosaic pins to give some character, but rather than use just a central one, I seem to have overdone it a bit. I asked on another forum if anyone had any bits of mosaic pin spare and got sent a bunch. So I felt I ought to use a bit of everything :D

I’m now sucking up blue epoxy into 3mm brass tube, cutting 1mm nickel silver rod and trying to create one of two things...a celestial galaxy, or a right mess. :D

Reactions: Jet and woodspirits

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Really very beautifully made and carved, top work. :)

My effort at the moment is a Blackthorn for my own use. I’ve been fitting the antler top with mosaic pins to give some character, but rather than use just a central one, I seem to have overdone it a bit. I asked on another forum if anyone had any bits of mosaic pin spare and got sent a bunch. So I felt I ought to use a bit of everything :D

I’m now sucking up blue epoxy into 3mm brass tube, cutting 1mm nickel silver rod and trying to create one of two things...a celestial galaxy, or a right mess. :D

thanks for your reply, love working with blackthorn a really gnarly wood with some great features. thought about going down the antler route but it would seem its quite a complicated process, thing I'll stick with the gouges! :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
thanks for your reply, love working with blackthorn a really gnarly wood with some great features. thought about going down the antler route but it would seem its quite a complicated process, thing I'll stick with the gouges! :)

I wouldn’t want to carve antler, my main problem is probably the same as wood, matching the outline of stick and handle. I’ve used a Black Walnut spacer to allow for screw ups, and have some brown leather dye to mask the joins between the 3 parts. To seal the pores in the antler I’ve used Ronseal rotten wood repair stuff, it stabilises punky wood in door frames etc and is very low viscosity so the antler pores suck it in. No reason I can’t apply more as needed during finishing.

But as you’ll see, this antler top is already somewhat “over egged”. :D This is rough finish only, and I’ve been careful not to let the rods overheat on the grinder and blacken the epoxy. It’s ready for more holes and pins.

6-FE9-CE1-E-77-A7-4118-B5-FE-9-BCECA8-BFF84.jpg

I’ll have to stud it with tiny shiny nickel pins around the edge and the brass tube filled with blue resin. It’s my first effort, and is for my shot hip instead of the ali trekking pole I’ve been using, so I’m not bothered about overdoing the decoration.

You’ll like the Blackthorn stick, it doesn’t have the root ball on it, but has a perfect thorn pattern, all nipped down with a RobEvs necker sat on a hay bale while camping last Summer. Several coats of dark Danish oil and it looks ok.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Nice work guys! Thanks All for the the input. I think I’ll do a combined thumbstick / staff handled stick. I have a nice piece of water buffalo horn for the top, and a straight-ish piece of yew for the stave, plus lots of bits of leather etc for the staff handle. When I get it done I will post a pic.

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: Janne

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
OK, the stick/staff is done, so here are the pictures:

47529776701_1143cbe3d1_c.jpg

32587389347_6ca595696a_c.jpg

40563809063_46b60911b1_c.jpg

The main part of the staff is a piece of seasoned yew which wasn't ever going to make it into a bow. Its a mixture of sapwood and heartwood tapered with a hand plane, and needed a bit of straightening, which was done with a hot air gun. The thumbstick piece is buffalo horn in a wide radiused lyre shape, mounted through a disk of charolais cow horn into the yew with a 10mm threaded steel bar, threaded into the horn and epoxied into place. The handle is a piece of soft leather with rolled edges, and contains a double loop of strong 5mm leather lace as a wrist strap. The handle is glued on and closed with kangaroo leather lace in a criss-cross lacing. The wrist strap lace is adjustable via a buffalo horn toggle. The stick is capped off at ground level with a rubber ferrule.

Cheers, Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE