Heating a small bell tent with chafing burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Guys
:camping:
Being a confirmed ground dweller and wanting a bigger tent
I splashed out on a 3 meter bell tent last month,
Now when it came to keeping the chill off in my smaller Hillie a couple of candle lanterns done the job not so now.,
Having picked up a couple of 2hr chafing burners for 60p each I thought I'd give them a go
I found that they worked a treat expect that when
I put it out the temp drop considerable very quickly
Now I'm thinking if I put 1 inside a ammo box then put a couple of heating storage bricks or similar on top this would keep the temp up at a more comfortable level for longer .
Dose anyone have any experience using these for heating or have any other suggestions.

Cheers Bob

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd be very cautious of using a burning unventilated heat source in a tent, especially inside a box like you say

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
thanks Spandit

Caution being my middle name .
The tent is well ventilated and I will have a co2 alarm for piece of mind.
What I am trying to achieve something similar to the hot rock system without having a open fire,
which would be in the ideal world the best solution (nice open fires good) but not always achievable .
The plan was to have a ammo box with lid off and the bricks on top to heat up, so that they would radiate
heat after the burner was out.

Bob

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got all of the following:

A vapalux lantern throws out about 1Kw of heat plus the light, small gas lantern should match the chaffing gel I would think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUTANE-GA...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item4d0336e8eb work for 2 hours per can of gas, in B&M the heaters are £8.99 and the gas four cans for £4.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item51a09d6949 will keep you toasty, burn for hours on a couple of pints of paraffin.

http://www.force4.co.uk/660/Origo-5...google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid660 heats and cooks, burns for about 8 hours on a litre of meths or methanol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Origo-Glo...393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a06d1d09 I really like this, more 'retro' feel than the modern heatpal, same performance.

One of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gelert-Fo...oods_Camping_furniture_ET&hash=item3a77528abb
with one of these on top
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item3f1af5843e

I leave the meths heaters unattended but none of the others.

This is the main source of heat these days
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swedish-A...amping_CookingSupplies_ET&hash=item3a77b338b2

USE COMMON SENSE, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, MAKE SURE THE TENT IS VENTILATED, TURN OFF BEFORE SLEEP.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Richard

Thanks for the links
I have had a look at the heatpal in Nordic a few weeks ago the new version nice little heater but I have no experience of using meths as a fuel source (will have to look into that in more detail) and was told their could be an condensation issue?
I do have a paraffin Tiley lamp sitting in the cupboard (need to service it before using) which like your Vapalux will put out a lot of heat and light when in use.
I do have a black cat heater as well, but found it to be an expensive way of heating and don't really like it.
I had a looked at the wildo which is similar in size to the frontier stove that I fitted to my friends Tentipi which I think is just too big for the tent and my needs.
More thinking is needed cause the romance or the pyromaniac in me wants something with a flame.LOL.
Time to hit you-tube and have a look at ammobox stoves me think.
But any thoughts or alternatives you guys can come with would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When you burn liquid fuel and gas a by product is water so you will always get condensation although that should not be an issue in a canvas tent. Meths is pricey, I use methanol in mine, less than a quid a litre. I've pretty much stopped burning wood now and take 20kg of coal for the weekend...very very toasty even mid winter.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Cheers guys

its just getting more confusing as time gose on.
Rik are you saying you use methanol in your heatpal? and thanks for clearing up the condensation thing too.
Hi fish don't think we have freecycle as up here in Glasgow but will look into it.
is there not a smell associated with paraffin heaters especial if used in a closed space?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The good old days Ian, now you've changed, gone ultralight, your having a mid life crisis;) Who's tent was that, Shags?

Yes, use methanol in the heatpal.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Nick's tent.

...your having a mid life crisis

Nice to know I'm only at the mid point of my life; I thought I was well into the second half. I expect the next 50-odd years will be quite interesting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nick's tent.

Nice to know I'm only at the mid point of my life; I thought I was well into the second half. I expect the next 50-odd years will be quite interesting.

After my near death experience I treat 50 as mid life and hope for the best :)

Totally off topic as usual, but I'm solo babysitting tonight as the girls are having a night out in Cardiff so grandson and I watched

[video=youtube;EPJF6mR6krM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPJF6mR6krM[/video]

I really enjoyed it....second childhood for me perhaps. Lad is now asleep and I'm sipping a rather nice Chablis.

Back on topic, a three metre would be fine with a Tilley/gas lamp or little butane heater unless you fancy splashing out on the heatpal.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Have you considered hot water bottles? I always think it's a lot cheaper and easier to heat me than it is to heat a tent enough to heat me.

A couple of 2 litre hot water bottles, well insulated, will keep you toasty warm all night and most of the next morning in any decent sleeping bag.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ged you don't want to sit in your tent with a hot water bottle stuffed up your jumper lol, a heated tent means sitting down without your jacket on, relaxing, chatting, playing cards, playing backgammon, cooking, whatever although a hot water bottle at night is 'bloody lovely' as we say in Wales.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Yeah a hot water bottle is part of my camping kit keeps the old sleeping bag toastie all night.
Looking for ways of heating the tent for those occasional wet and windy days we get up in Scotland Ged
LOL.which would help dry the kit out and myself

The use of a chafing burner as mentioned in the title of thread was because I had picked up a couple for pennies at the cash and carry so I thought give them a try thinking they should work like a big candle nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
with having no experience of using meths or similar I'm groping in the dark when it comes to systems that use them as a fuel , but they seem the safer option to use inside a tent.
when away i tend to use open fire or coalman fuel type stoves or gas for cooking
Had a look at the can last night Rik to discover they are a Methanol gel
So since a Heatpal is basically a ventilated steel box with a controllable burner would a ventilated ammo box ( lots of holes drilled in it and a controllable burner do the same job? and hopefully with the added bonus of being able to make a wee cheeky coffee in the morning . if my thinking is wrong please let me know

Bob

Last edited:

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Cheers for That Ric

That stove sent me off on an other direction.
A quick call to a mate, has sourced me a small bit of perforated steel plate which he will bend into a simple U shape to make a free standing plate to go over burner and with a couple of bits of threaded rod and some nuts to stop it splaying out and a stove is born.
probably been done before but hey all new to me.
I will source a couple of storage heater bricks or similar to put on top, to store and radiate heat after burner is out
Thanks for the links mate
I can get the burners up here for 60p each, for the 2.5 hr.
I'll stick a couple of pics up when I get it finished,
Cheers for all the advice and help.

Bob.

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
if its any help a plant pot is a good way of heating things up turn it upside down onto your heat source its amazing how much heat it holds and puts out, we use this method in winter in scotland ,atb wayne
the other is use a really small calor gas bottle and make a small log burner , needs venting properly but a valve fitted at the top slows the burn down and heats the bottle up, atb wayne

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Wayne
I had heard about using plant pots with a candle to heat greenhouses in the winter to keep the frost away.
I had a look around and found this.http://www.heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm .
I had got as far as getting all the nuts, washers and the bolt to make one but couldn't get 3 sizes of unglazed plant pots at the time
So I have put it to one side at the moment because I'm going to try and source a couple of storage bricks to first which I hope will do the same job.
The tent is much larger than I am used to and where a couple of micro candle lanterns would heat my smaller and more technical tents they just didn't cut it in the big tent
I also wanted it to double as a small stove for making a coffee in the morning and heating the tent before I got up.
cheers
Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE