heads up iodine tincture for water purification reduced

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Just to say that despite the european ban there is some( presumably old stock) bottles of "travel essentials" branded tincture of iodine for water purification being sold off for £1.99 in "mountain warehouse" prev. £4.99 I cant find it on the website but the store in bowness on windemere had plenty on show. I remember seeing a previous thread where people were lamenting its withdrawl and mooting alternative sources such as aquatic suppliers. so i was suprised to come across it.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Thanks for that

I got a couple of small bottles from an outdoor shop about three years ago - still got loads left, as I tend to purify my water by boiling if I can.

But I did hear somewhere that you can use a household bleach!

Well, it's horrible stuff, but I suppose three drops in a half litre of water might be alright. So long as you are not drinking it day in day out.

What do others think about it?

Just to say that despite the european ban there is some( presumably old stock) bottles of "travel essentials" branded tincture of iodine for water purification being sold off for £1.99 in "mountain warehouse" prev. £4.99 I cant find it on the website but the store in bowness on windemere had plenty on show. I remember seeing a previous thread where people were lamenting its withdrawl and mooting alternative sources such as aquatic suppliers. so i was suprised to come across it.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
wonder what they'd make of my pot of lab grade pure Iodine?

Should keep me going for a year or 6.

I really use any water treatments in the UK, other than the standard boiling water and tea approach and have been ok - must be something to do with been raise on the banks of tidal Tees in the 70's and working with sewage for too many years now.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
But I did hear somewhere that you can use a household bleach!

Well, it's horrible stuff, but I suppose three drops in a half litre of water might be alright. So long as you are not drinking it day in day out.

What do others think about it?

A lot of puri-tabs (e.g. Aquaclear I think) are chlorine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE